Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWPS! Nabataean AE17

Well, in my explorations, I came across some coins of the Nabataean Kingdom. This one is of Aretas IV and his queen, Shaquelat. Her portrait is somewhat obscured but still a fun little bronze.

The Nabataeans, also Nabateans (/ˌnæbəˈtiːənz/; Arabic: الأنباط‎ al-ʾAnbā&#7789image, were an ancient Arab people who inhabited northern Arabia and the Southern Levant, their settlements in CE 37 – c. 100, gave the name of Nabatene to the borderland between Arabia and Syria, from the Euphrates to the Red Sea. Their loosely-controlled trading network, which centered on strings of oases that they controlled, where agriculture was intensively practiced in limited areas, and on the routes that linked them, had no securely defined boundaries in the surrounding desert. Trajan conquered the Nabataean kingdom, annexing it to the Roman Empire, where their individual culture, easily identified by their characteristic finely-potted painted ceramics, became dispersed in the general Greco-Roman culture and was eventually lost.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those Nabatean coins alway seem to come with great desert patina, and the incuse eyes on the portraits really stand out.

I've watched a few interesting documentaries about Petra in the recent past.

Cool little coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice set can be bought cheap. Silvers exist but they are $$.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Yes I have seen silver but it has always been too expensive to buy on a whim. This was a good starter piece and very reasonable. I might add more pieces if similar ones come up.