Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MEGA RED HAS ARRIVED!!!

SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
This morning the USPS left a Priority Mail package at my garage door containing the 1st Deluxe Edition of "A Guide Book Of United States Coins. It couldn't fit in my mailbox! When they say this book weighs 5 to 6 pounds they aren't kidding!. IT IS HUGE!. I have just glanced through the 1,503 pages with all the color pictures and information and all I can say is WOW! Wizard got the book to me very quickly with their 45% discount from the $50 list price. In my opinion, every serious coin collector will want to own this 1st edition book. It is well worth the cost. I'm sure we will all find some problems with the fact that it is so heavy and how well it will hold up over time, but it is something I'm glad I bought and can now enjoy reading. Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, thought this was the name of a toned Morgan . . . image

Kudos and thanks to Dentuck et al. . . . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine today from Wizard. Looking forward to the read.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK I ordered it.

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't find it on Wizard's web page. Are they sold out? Or am I on the wrong link?
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Mine also arrived today. Along with my Heritage win. image

Wizard link
    Dan
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta get one soon!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im glad to hear they are out then
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Waiting for the thud on the porch. Sucks.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine today~it's quite a tome!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Just got mine today. What a tome!

As long as you can order through that link at the preorder price, I would do so. I just got an email from them and their in-stock price is $15 higher...
  • Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine also arrived today. Along with my Heritage win. image

Wizard link >>

Thanks for the link. Got it ordered.
  • Options
    My Book shipped today!
    can't wait.

Edited: To add they created a label for my Big Red.
    Still hasn't shipped . I am patiently waiting .
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Mine arrived. It's astounding. I haven't had a chance to go through it yet but I can hardly wait to spend some time with it.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted about receiving mine yesterday....and will echo the above... big, heavy and LOADED with information..... well worth the investment. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, need to get one, thanks !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too thought this was gonna be a toned Morgan, though I believe "Mega Red" is also the name of a brand of fish oil. image

As to the Mega Red (Book), I want one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Got mine yesterday from Wizard too. It has been 10 years since my last one.
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I thought this was going to be announcing a new color designation for copper coins.

Bought the Professional edition a couple of months ago. Guess I should have waited. Is this essentially a combination of the regular and Professional editions or does the regular still have anything not in the Deluxe?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine arrived about an hour ago. I already have it memorized. Now what? image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm late to the party on this but ordered mine yesterday, via a call back from a nice lady at Wizard.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm late to the party on this but ordered mine yesterday, via a call back from a nice lady at Wizard. >>

Please post a pic when you receive itimage

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And I thought this was going to be announcing a new color designation for copper coins.

Bought the Professional edition a couple of months ago. Guess I should have waited. Is this essentially a combination of the regular and Professional editions or does the regular still have anything not in the Deluxe? >>

MEGA RED is NEW. It is 1,503 pages and weighs 6 pounds. It has pictures of coins and written information that will keep you busy for quite awhile to fully absorb. Obviously, some of the information is also in the Red Book annual edition and other information is in the 6 previous copies of the professional edition of the Red Book. It has some problems like being to big and heavy. They plan to issue it annually with detail NEW information on selected series of coins. Probably some people will just be happy with this 1st edition. Others might want to get one every year. In any case, for the price it seems like a good deal to me. Steveimage
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    its HUGE...
    figglehorn
  • Options
    Still waiting ..
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not bought a Redbook since 1998 (before that 1985), although Teletrade sent a 2012 version to me for free. This version might be worth my time and the $35.01 including shipping. I ordered it today.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2019 1:20PM
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Working on it now.
  • Options
    Holy Cannoli, just landed a pre-order Deluxe, 1st edition, soft bound, plastic wrapped, Wizard shipped Redbook six pounder on my front porch. Too big for the mailbox.

Onward to reading this son of a gun.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine for free from Amazon, did have to add a Whitman album to get the free shipping as well. Arrived in 2 days after order.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    SaultYooperSaultYooper Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
    Don't think I will be walking the bourse floor with it, but it should provide some interesting reading. Wonder if I will find any dealers who use the Red Book for retail prices (like in the '50's and 60's) that happen to have any 1916 SLQ's? I would pay multiples of Big Red's listed price for any.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't think I will be walking the bourse floor with it, but it should provide some interesting reading. Wonder if I will find any dealers who use the Red Book for retail prices (like in the '50's and 60's) that happen to have any 1916 SLQ's? I would pay multiples of Big Red's listed price for any. >>

Never walk the bourse floor with a Redbook...any Redbook.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    No larger print on the deluxe edition?
  • Options

<< <i>No larger print on the deluxe edition? >>

At the current 1500 pages, larger print might mean 2400 pages (WAG) -OR- two volumes.

Actually, two volumes of lesser page number, larger print would be better?

Mega Red consisting of three volumes, spiral bound, lay flat, large print would be even better. My final HO.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got mine today from Wizard.

WOW!

What a great value for the price.
  • Options
    Got mine yesterday. Now I gotta find the time to read the new stuff that wasn't in last year's Red Book.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received mine today and I am sad to see errors or omissions or poor choices within the Mercury Dime series....not to mention the out of date auction records for some coins where more recent data is available (yes, even at the cut off for publication)...but then you look at some coins within the series and you see accurate recent auction records. Doesn't make sense to me. This isn't the only book with Mercury Dime problems though. The Cherrypickers' Guide section on Mercury Dimes is a mess. The best book on the series when it comes to Mercury Dime Varieties, is the 2014 Authoritative Reference on Mercury Dimes by John A. Wexler and Kevin Flynn but sadly it also has its own share of inaccuracies/problems/omissions etc etc.....but it is still the best book/reference out there for the series.

There is plenty of data in these books that is not worth much. A person has to be smart enough to know which is which. Yes, I understand that the book is not trying to cover all of the varieties etc....but if they choose to cover something then they should at least do so accurately. Some of these books/authors have never heard of a company called Great Collections. They have auction records. They have been around for a while now. PCGS Coin Facts also chooses to ignore this company as far as I can tell. So when books are written and authors choose to go by one source that is flawed and they have no true deep personal knowledge on the subjects for which they are writing, that causes problems. It annoys me when books say data is N/A when the data is CLEARLY AVAILABLE, they just chose not to ask the real experts or they chose to ignore certain sources. I am so confused by this. Why people want to publish something with so many inaccuracies is beyond my understanding.

All of that being said, I do look forward to enjoying the new MEGA RED BOOK for the quick/general historical reference information for the areas in which I am less educated. I found it was interesting they included an abbreviated grading guide within the book for each series. I do look forward to reading a good portion of the book. For the purchase price, the book is amazing. From the few minutes I have spent flipping through the book, the photos are great and the depth of coverage for early/classic coins seems very in depth. There is plenty of great material in the book that I look forward to diving into as time allows.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got my Mega Red...must have been on a slow boat from China(?) I can't seem to tear open the plastic to look inside. In 30 years this First Edition could be worth smoething like $5,000.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    You've talked me into it, ordered
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    "MEGA RED"

Sounds like a race horse.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Naw, it sounds like one o' them there Mary-G-wana breeds them hippie kids are always talkin' about.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"MEGA RED"

Sounds like a race horse. >>

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flipped through Mega Red at Barnes and Noble yesterday for the first time. Very impressive pictures and write ups. Much more detail than a regular Red Book. I must say, it looks worth the cost to me.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try using it as a bathroom read. I made that mistake when I first got mine. My forearms still haven't recovered
    The more you VAM..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file