Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would you tell someone to convert them to collecting coins?

Say a friend or co-worker is discussing hobbies. What would you say to a non-collector that coin collecting is a great hobby?

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most hobbies are a money losing proposition.

At the end of the day, with numismatics, your collection will have some value and hopefully a nice profit.

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    it's a way to become addicted to savings in a covert way
    "addiction with benefits"
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Never promise them a profit. Don't tell them to jump on the bandwagon, because they could very well end up losing in the end.

I've seen allot of collectors come and go and I think it is because they were given bad advice and got burned along the way.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a really tough one because I think that collectors are born, not created. For me history and economic theory are huge motivating factors, but I also have "a disease" that pushes me to fill every hole in an album, even though the albums and the holes now exist in my head, and not as a book like object on the shelf. Collectors just feel this kind of push, and it's not something you learn.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but I also have "a disease" that pushes me to fill every hole in an album, even though the albums and the holes now exist in my head, and not as a book like object on the shelf. Collectors just feel this kind of push, and it's not something you learn. >>

So sneezing on them won't infect them with the coin collector disease?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you can make anyone convert to anything they have to want to. You can guide and educate but that only is like showing them the paths.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell them that the coin collectors get all of the Hot Women! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've "minted" a few coin collectors, never mentioning profit (as that should be the last thing someone new to a subject should consider) but speaking purely to history and artistry. People are generally rather receptive to it, provided you pitch it with enthusiasm. I started them off by giving out low-value coins which further hooked them in.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Yes! I just bought my new Rolls Royce Ghost with the profits from my coin collection!"
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've "minted" a few coin collectors, never mentioning profit (as that should be the last thing someone new to a subject should consider) but speaking purely to history and artistry. People are generally rather receptive to it, provided you pitch it with enthusiasm. I started them off by giving out low-value coins which further hooked them in. >>

Good advice.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most hobbies are a money losing proposition.

At the end of the day, with numismatics, your collection will have some value and hopefully a nice profit. >>

Exactly, however I stress value rather than profit as the latter is not assured.

Unlike most hobbies your collection will actually have some real, liquid value.

I think that it's an educational hobby as well as many in numismatics end up learning about the times in history when their coins were minted and circulated. Further, numismatics provides a real, tangible connection to the past.

As to "converting" I assume that you're asking what one says to someone who finds out that one is into numismatics and thus inquires about the hobby.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I would say nothing to anyone to convert them to numismatics. I gave my niece some birth year proof sets for her kids. Maybe some day when they grow older they'll look at the sets and get interested, but if not, it's their life.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In beginning man was happy. Woman came and it cost man a rib. And they fought happily ever after for his arm and leg. So a solitary hobby was created where man learned how to dicker.
    And then there were wars and after that man created the Peace Dollar. And a collector was born. The End. Get one today .
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I let people chose their own path in life I can only give advice

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collectors of the past did so for a reason. It was an interesting and enjoyable hobby in a time when hobbies were a primary form of entertainment. Getting rich was never part of the proposition, in fact, in some world class collections some coins sold for pennies over face value, even proof Morgans.

Today there are many more outlets for your entertainment dollar. Spending your cash on coins seems like an unlikely way to be entertained unless............There's an incentive. I think giving/leaving a collection to a kid "might" spark interest and get the ball rolling. Almost every family in America has a jar full of junk silver, that's NOT a collection. Give a kid a box of 20 that's actually got some value, some coins of interest that they may never have seen before, now there are choices to be made especially if they know the coins are valuable.

That's my take.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not been able to convert my wife, and it's not for lack of trying. So I got nothing for ya.

She appreciates art and history, but she's just not a collector at heart. I agree that you kind of have to already have the collector personality to really get into collecting coins (or anything else for that matter).
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...you and MGLICKER are like 2 peas in a pod with the thread topics and such image
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Approach only lonely desparate losers and tell them Coin Dealers can be some of the best friends money can buy.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd show them MS64 common date Morgan silver dollars and MS64 $20 Saint Gaudens. Those are big and impressive coins. People can understand those coins. A penny, nickel, dime, etc. are a little harder to understand when they cost hundreds of dollars or even $50.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Approach only lonely desparate losers and tell them Coin Dealers can be some of the best friends money can buy.

Good one!!!!

image >>

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell them a story about a coin, and then show them the coin.

For example, you could tell them about the S.S. Central America, show them this picture, and then proudly pull one of the coins out of your pocket and brag about your new acquisition. If that doesn't hook them, look for another victim.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Tell them it will make them better looking, better singers, better dancers, better joke tellers......no wait, I'm thinking of whiskey!

In all reality, collecting is a genetic defect. If you have it, you have it, & I've been on TV saying that! You can convert a gun collector or a car collector to a coin collector, they have the funds to collect higher end coins. You can convert a matchbook collector, seed collector, gum wrapper collector, etc. also, into lower cost circulated coins that fit into their budget. What you can not do is convert a "non-collector" into one. If they don't have the genetic defect, it will be only short lived passing fancy.
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill Jones has it right. Either born with it or not.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't try to convert people to anything. Everyone has their own thoughts and ways they want to do things.
    If they show interest, I help, if I can. If they don't, I go about my own way and let them go about theirs.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
    it's the easiest way to get a 69
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've "minted" a few coin collectors, never mentioning profit (as that should be the last thing someone new to a subject should consider) but speaking purely to history and artistry. People are generally rather receptive to it, provided you pitch it with enthusiasm. I started them off by giving out low-value coins which further hooked them in. >>

One look at your collection with its history and artistry, it's no wonder you've made a few converts.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If an individual is 'seeking' a hobby, one can only offer the interesting points of history, art and the many areas of numismatics. Other than that, collectors are a special breed (all types of collectors) and numismatics is just one slice of a very large pie. I never try to convert.... not worth the effort... either they are interested or not. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Opportunity only exists for a few. Last thing I want to do is afford it to you.
  • Options
    I've gotten a few into the game. I showed them a few interesting things about coin history and items I've found in my searches. Being able to tell someone that you found something special really intrigues them. Plus having past collecting experience of other things is a plus.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    I think if they were interested in history, I would sell them on how difficult it was for our country to produce coins in our early years.
    If they were interested in "the hunt" I would talk about cherrypicking and how much fun it can be to uncover a treasure that nobody
    else noticed.
    EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    I would say "silence is golden". And if you want to be where NOBODY bothers you, come here. The sweet sound of study.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Don't think you will make any money with coins, just enjoy the excitement and fun. Just try to finish a complete Roosie variety collection in the next 10 years. Money, patience and time.image
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    I would take a page out of the pyramid telemarketing scheme:

"You know, I make x amount of dollars while I sleep by collecting things I love" That always gets their attention, whether its true or not lol
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not "tell" them anything. I'd hand them a few raw coins, including some ancients and some gold. If they look at them for more than a few seconds, ask questions, or best yet, hesitate to give them back, then I might pursue the matter further, depending on who it is. I do not have much drive to evangelize, rather preferring discretion and low-key

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file