Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When a coin is listed, "Available" and it's not....

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
..does it give you a negative opinion of the dealer?

It sorta does me. If I had a sales website, I would consider it my daily job to maintain the site without creating needless traffic on sold items.

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..does it give you a negative opinion of the dealer?

It sorta does me. If I had a sales website, I would consider it my daily job to maintain the site without creating needless traffic on sold items. >>

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's not available, I double my money. Double it over and stick it back in my pocket. No skin in the game, none off my nose.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it's not available, I double my money. Double it over and stick it back in my pocket. No skin in the game, none off my nose. >>

Well, that seems like strange logic..... but... if it works for ya..... Good, I guess.
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    If I find that a website is not properly maintained I don't visit very often.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only bothers me when I go through the whole checkout payment procedure to find out 24 hours later I missed it.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only bothers me when I go through the whole checkout payment procedure to find out 24 hours later I missed it. >>

Agree with this. I am not a big fan of the checkout/shopping cart method. If I was a dealer I would want to engage and connect with my customers. Certainly takes more time but I would guess that the businesses which are doing best today are founded on lasting relationships made in this manner.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a lot easier to manage if you have 100-200 coins on your list than 5,000, but though I am in the former category things still do occasionally get mis-listed, marked available when sold (or vice versa), etc. It's really not that easy to keep things straight.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only bothers me when I go through the whole checkout payment procedure to find out 24 hours later I missed it. >>

that seems to be a bug in the cart/inventory management system.
  • Options

<< <i>It's a lot easier to manage if you have 100-200 coins on your list than 5,000, but though I am in the former category things still do occasionally get mis-listed, marked available when sold (or vice versa), etc. It's really not that easy to keep things straight. >>

I agree. I have about 700 items on my website at any given time, and occasionally an item gets left on there that should've been removed. When you're dealing with lots of coins, occasionally mistakes are made. It's pretty inevitable.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends if I REALLY want the item and have been looking for a long time. Bait and switch does bug me.

Heritage has a number spots in their auction archives where they have a sign that says, "Make an offer to the owner." Every time I have inquired about one of those it has been a blind alley. The item is no longer available.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's a lot easier to manage if you have 100-200 coins on your list than 5,000, but though I am in the former category things still do occasionally get mis-listed, marked available when sold (or vice versa), etc. It's really not that easy to keep things straight. >>

I agree. I have about 700 items on my website at any given time, and occasionally an item gets left on there that should've been removed. When you're dealing with lots of coins, occasionally mistakes are made. It's pretty inevitable. >>

I have about 1,000 or so items, and every once in a while, an item is sold and somehow doesn't get removed from the site. That would be my mistake, and I think that has happened once or twice a year on average. I sometimes offer to find another one if I think that is a possibility. But as John and Jon said, it happens. As a dealer, I try to make sure it doesn't happen very often.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are having a chorus of dealer responses here that are quite similar. However, my inventory is even smaller and typically runs around 50-coins. Sometimes I will mail a coin to a client and not immediately list it as "on hold", but I don't recall many inquiries when that has happened.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What steams my beans is when I leave not only a phone call message and an email requesting a coin, only to find out that it was sold at a show the dealer was at AFTER I left my messages.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What really steams me is when you pay a dealer to bid on a coin at auction and they don't win it for you despite a strong bid. But, when that same coin shows up in their inventory a month later, it never once occurred to them to offer it to you. They must have been..........image

I recall looking at a NGC MS66 seated half in hand at the 2003 ANA and being told that said coin was not available to me. It wasn't sold yet, it just wasn't available. When I asked how much, they said they wanted "retail." When I said, I might be able to pay "full retail." So how much is retail? It was then they said they really wanted "retail, retail." That transaction basically ended a 20 year relationship with that dealer. The irony, was that I had just sold them a nicer seated half than that one in a PCGS MS66 holder. Made no sense to me.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file