Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Probus, Facing Quadriga

Again I wish my pictures were better. But this is the first coin I have owned with a quadiga facing the viewer. Neat little guy and for under $5, I was happy to make it mine.

If anyone has any facing quadriga coins, hopefully with better pictures than mine, post them, I would love to see other examples!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For less than five bucks, that's kind of hard to beat, particularly with such an unusual reverse.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    LM, that is what I thought. It looks much better in hand, by no means MS, but still, a nice coin at an attractive price.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some fairly good photos on the web (not my coin, though):
    Kind of a wild design!
  • Options
    Yeah again I apologize for the photos. My coin is not as nice as the one you posted yos, but it is more readable than the picture allows for. When I saw the design in the listing, I had decided to get it then and there. It is such a weird design to attempt without more skill or something.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is just such a strange design when you look at it. I like it, but it's just such a weird perspective.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Considering the tools of their time, I'm impressed they could get any perspective at all. But yeah. Not your typical image. Which is why I likey image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Thanks, Lochness! Yeah it is still a fun design to look at. I do not think that most of us ever think about perspective in the days of instant pictures and whatnot. But if you have ever tried to draw or paint or anything like that, you find out really fast how much of a pain perspective and depth are to represent in a two dimensional medium pretty quickly. When I was working on my history degree, the idea of perspective and depth in art was such a revolutionary idea and practice for humanity that it was like going from a first readers' book to college level text in terms of advancing the medium.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few non-Probus executions of facing quadrigas:
    Couldn't find a facing elephant quadriga, though. :-)
  • Options
    certainly an interesting design, and who could pass at that price? image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    Thanks, Nice. Yes, I had not seen that reverse before and it was a great little pick up.

Yos, those are some nice pictures that you posted. Unfortunately, all of them, in particular the gold and the Caesar are pretty much impossible for me to own.