Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: First Slabbed Gallienus

Well, I had not been purchasing slabbed coins because most of the stuff is too expensive for me to afford. But once in a while a guy gets lucky and I found this little gem lurking with no bids at a low opening price. So now I have bought not only my first slabbed coin in about 20 years, but my first slabbed ancient. Photographing was super fun and the results suck, so do not get excited at the prospect of a great set of photos here.

This was nice because I am actually putting some effort into fleshing out my Gallienus collection, so finding a nice slabbed coin as a centerpiece in addition to my several silver Antoninianii that I purchased about six weeks ago was a nice pre CICF buy.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the NGC grade?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    XF, 4/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface. I'm pleased with the coin more than the pictures will ever show.
  • Options
    quite often his portrait is very crude looking, he had a LOT of coins minted, I love the portrait on this one, very nice
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    Yes, this coin is very nice and I was pleasantly surprised to be able to buy it at opening bid, especially being slabbed. I think that when I got around the fifteen coin mark for Gallienus, I got a tingle and thought, "Oooooh, maybe this emperor I will try to collect one of each issue." Then my Mom gave me Aorta as a gift for Christmas. As I was identifying the obverse and reverse types of the coins I already had, I realized that with the different portrait/legend/reverse/type combos there are at least 1,000 coins.

Ugh.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Looks to be in great condition. Congrats. You should try taking the picture by the window will with natural sunlight, I find that works well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, Hussulo. I kind of have the worst setup imaginable. iPhone plus table at night with a loupe. I try to catch some time during the day but with the kiddo and life, the next thing I know it is 9pm and I am trying to dodge shadows while taking pictures.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean and I've only got one 7 year old but she keeps me plenty busy. If your iPhone is a 4 or above it should be good for taking pictures. I've tried many different light set ups at night but natural daylight seems to work the best for me. If you have colorful toning on a coin try leaning it at an angle to capture the toning.
  • Options
    Well I still had a problem with light reflecting off of the NGC holder, but still, clearer and lighter than the last photos. Thanks for your patience everyone.