Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This is the first time that I've received this message back on Ebay. Has anyone received this back

RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
I tried to email a seller a question about a coin. He/she has a feedback score of just over 1000 and looks to be a solid seller.

This is the reply which appeared from Ebay when I went to submit the question:

"We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

This is not the busiest seller that I've email a question to by a long shot.

I've never seen this message before. Has anyone else?

Is this something that the seller set up as an auto-reply to questions? I certainly don't see how this benefits the seller, in fact I'd say that the opposite is true.
Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Comments

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think he's trying to tell you something......
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

<< <i>Think he's trying to tell you something...... >>

Me? I've never tried to contact him before - I've never bought, sold nor had any interaction with him of any kind.

I have 100% Pos FB with 5/5 DSRs.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that it is an eBay bot which is particularly sensitive to certain words contained in a message to a seller, which eBay uses to minimize any attempts by members to contact each other outside of eBay before a transaction occurs at eBay.

Yes, I've received this message. It goes without stating that these sellers, and eBay got no business from me on the item(s).

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>I suspect that it is an eBay bot which is particularly sensitive to certain words contained in a message to a seller, which eBay uses to minimize any attempts by members to contact each other outside of eBay before a transaction occurs at eBay. >>

Actually this popped up earlier in the question process than the point at which one types anything to the seller.

I clicked ask "ask a question" then "details about item" then "no I didn't get my answer" then "continue" and then the message pops up.
  • Options

<< <i>I suspect that it is an eBay bot which is particularly sensitive to certain words contained in a message to a seller, which eBay uses to minimize any attempts by members to contact each other outside of eBay before a transaction occurs at eBay.

Yes, I've received this message. It goes without stating that these sellers, and eBay got no business from me on the item(s). >>

Your last sentence expresses my sentiments exactly!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all of ebay's policies they go and do that for some?

If they don't have to answer questions then how can they have too many to answer? image (They must throttle questions. Try asking again at 11:15am tomorrow)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if that is punishment for the seller having done some stuff off of eBay, after initial contact on eBay.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sellers can block messages: >>

Wow An ebay assisted lie? Wow

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Sellers can block messages: >>

Thanks for the great info!

Wow just unreal. The eBay rep in the link didn't think buyers would mind the block?? Really??? Incredible.

I knew that this made no sense as I noted in my original post that this was not a high volume seller.

I like the idea of listing in bold red that the seller does not accept questions.

If a low volume (or any seller for that matter) seller can't b bothered with a question about two thousand dollar coins then I won't bother them with my business.

How foolish of the seller.
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    I have recently received this message.

I also recently was prevented by eBay from using a Buy It Now or a Best Offer. When I tried to send the seller a message via eBay, eBay wouldn't relay it.

I had another way to contact the seller, so I asked him if I was blocked. He said no way, and he couldn't find anything in his logs that indicated why eBay rejected either my Buy It Now/Best Offer.

I can't imagine why this happened except for an eBay bug.
  • Options
    Yep have had that very msg and as stated you can set it up to do so. This does not seem like a wise practice and when I asked CS about it all they had to say was that it is an option for sellers.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have recently received this message.

I also recently was prevented by eBay from using a Buy It Now or a Best Offer. When I tried to send the seller a message via eBay, eBay wouldn't relay it.

I had another way to contact the seller, so I asked him if I was blocked. He said no way, and he couldn't find anything in his logs that indicated why eBay rejected either my Buy It Now/Best Offer.

I can't imagine why this happened except for an eBay bug. >>

He needs to check his "Blocked Bidder/Buyer list." I'm almost 100% sure your email address, even-though you may have never dealt with him, may be on it.
    I had a similar inquiry from some one I've never dealt with..(still don't know how he got my email address) On my blocked list....appears the buyer had issues with other sellers for not paying promptly a few years back, when that info was still readily available.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    in defense of the seller, many questions can be answered if the buyer takes the time to actually READ the listing. many, many times I will receive a question that fortifies my belief that buyers rarely get past the pics when deciding to bid, In many of my listings I ask buyers with 0 feedback to contact me prior to purchase, and they rarely do, so if they miss the very first sentence, I can believe that they didn't read much of it. while it makes little sense to refuse questions, perhaps the answer is in the listing but "overlooked" because it wasn't read in the first place.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, multiple times and with big and small sellers. Befuddles me as to why a seller would initiate that
    response through ebay.
    Just walked away.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>in defense of the seller, many questions can be answered if the buyer takes the time to actually READ the listing. many, many times I will receive a question that fortifies my belief that buyers rarely get past the pics when deciding to bid, In many of my listings I ask buyers with 0 feedback to contact me prior to purchase, and they rarely do, so if they miss the very first sentence, I can believe that they didn't read much of it. while it makes little sense to refuse questions, perhaps the answer is in the listing but "overlooked" because it wasn't read in the first place. >>

In this case, my question was not answered in the short listing.

No matter, if the goal is to sell, then it's about customer service. I would never contemplate blocking questions. Further, I am always happy to answer them even if they were answered in the listing. My purpose in listing is to sell.

If one is selling multi-thousand dollar coins but takes no questions I think that they are really hurting themselves.

As others have said, this immediately makes me look elsewhere.

I think that most - not all but most - buyers of multi-thousand dollar coins are not new to the game. I certainly expect to be able to ask a question prior to making such a purchase.

Anyway, the sellers loss - and a well deserved one at that IMHO.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new seller might of got the setting by mistake. eBay keeps making their site harder to use. And their policy of good communication seems to be none between sellers and potential buyers anymore.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if that is punishment for the seller having done some stuff off of eBay, after initial contact on eBay. >>

Once you do a deal on eBay and pay with PP you will have an email addy for that seller. You may want to try and win a cheapie item just to get the email addy. Just sayin.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seen it a few times. don't like it. usually skip the seller but not always.

just click the seller's name and click contact.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seen it a few times. don't like it. usually skip the seller but not always.

just click the seller's name and click contact.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file