Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Question on this "Japanese invasion" dollar bill

I found this in my Grandfather's old desk I have no idea what it is worth if anything .... Does anyone know had anyone seen anything like this before? any advise would be appreciated

Working on 1961 1972 1973 topps sets

Comments

• This note is described in "WWII Remembered" by C. Frederick Schwan and Joseph E. Boling, a great reference book for the notes and circulating currencies during WWII. On page 608 the authors described the note as engraved, blue-gray with pink and greenish gray tint. A breadfruit tree is pictured on the left and a coconut palm on the right. This description matches what you have. There are various replicas of this note as well.

I am no expert on current pricing. The book (which is dated) suggests that prices can range from USD 10 for a note in "fine" condition to $100 for a note that is in "new - not circulated condition".

You see these notes at various coin shows, for example the recently completed Baltimore show. I don't know where you are located geographically. If you PM I can point you to someone with better knowledge than I. John T. Sullivan
    Sullykerry: Numismatic interests: Canada, Newfoundland, Japan pre-WWII, Ireland, Commemorative Coins (1892-1954) Celtic. References available on request.
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    There's a fair number of these, and other denominations, on ebay for well under $10: example on ebay 'nother example
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I believe these were acquired and collected by WWII vets alongside other military issues. I say this because I've seen many and always in/near a pile of WWII service notes, vouchers, etc. Mine came from my grandfather's WWII collection (he served in the Pacific fronts).

Basically, as others have already said, numerous and not extremely valuable. But still very cool.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE