Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Was there an Edward "Longshanks" Penny minted at Dalton?

I'm not an expert on this stuff and I see one for sale and I cannot find a reference, I see they were minted in London, York, Canterbury, maybe Dublin? I don't know, I've been looking on wildwinds and this coin I'm looking at clearly says CIVITAS DALTON unless I'm blind

what do you guys think? seems it's Edward no?

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be CIVITAS CANTOR, or Canterbury?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • that would make sense wouldn't it

*feels dumb*
    Was just an idea. I can't really see what that says on there. Eddie the First had a lot of mints striking coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • that backwards L is bizarre, it doesn't make sense as an N or an L image

but CAN-TOR is the abbreviation for Canterbury so it's gotta be that

I have such a hard time reading the crude medieval inscriptions, especially when they are worn

<< <i>I have such a hard time reading the crude medieval inscriptions, especially when they are worn >>

Ditto. Lombardic lettering can be challenging enough to read under the best of conditions.

BTW, that one looks sea-salvaged. I'd pass on it, unless it has an interesting provenance. FilthyBroke or somebody had one looked like that, which had been found in a published hoard, which was kind of neat.

Eddie the First pennies are probably the most common and affordable of medieval hammered silver English coins. In fact, you may remember I dug one while I was detecting in Essex the November before last. That was fun. image

imageimage

Oh, and speaking of Edward I Canterbury mint pennies, I am donating one (and a cool medieval bronze mount) to David Crowther for his History of England podcast.

I've helped him with several coin giveaways in the past. This one hasn't been announced yet- he's just returned from a long hiatus. But stay tuned.

(BTW, I bought that giveaway coin for less than forty bucks. Kind of depressing that it's nicer than my best coin find of a $2.5K trip, but you can't put a price on adventure... or a good giveaway.)

• Very cool Rob

Still worth it if I can get it for around $20 though right?

I'm buying a nicer one for 40 from a guy in Portugal, I don't need two of the same Edward long shanks pennies from the same mint but if I can resell it might as well get it
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little bit surprised that the reverse legend is half Latin, half English. If it were all Latin, then it would be CIVITAS DORO(BERNIA). All English would make it CITY OF CANTOR(BURY).

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Seems fine to me for 20 bucks?