Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Purchased group British Pennys (Grades back from PCGS)

Here's 4 new coins I just purchased this week from one of my dark side dealers. Dealer is really good about disclosing any damage cleaning or problems.

1806 Penny I have a proof but wanted a nice non proof for the collection.
1853 Penny Nice shape
1797 Cartwheel I have a 3 of these I really like the big coppers in decent shape so couldn't resist
1902 MO AM Peso very nice toning

ADDED: Here's the last three he accepted my offer on.

1866 Penny
1881 half Penny A shame the slight dent on the neck
1889 Half Penny

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are all very nice. That 1853 penny is particularly sharp, and wow, you got yet another nice Cartwheel.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Yea im really attached to these cartwheels especially when I can get under 100$ for one in decent condition like this.
  • Options
    There's something about 'em, isn't there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    could you imagine carrying more than three in your pocket.
  • Options
    That would be something. You wouldn't wanna fall overboard if you were in a boat.

I saw an almost full Red UNC Cartwheel 2d at a show, once. It was amazing.

• Options
    Double post
  • Options
    Beautiful and im sure not cheap

im curious do these coins need the oversized slab when submitted to PCGS
  • Options
    Forgot the 1884 1/2 penny with the other three I added

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful and im sure not cheap

im curious do these coins need the oversized slab when submitted to PCGS >>

No, it wasn't cheap, even though this was some years ago.

As to whether they'll go into a standard sized slab or not, in the past I would've guessed no... but apparently they will.

Here's one in a standard sized NGC slab. (Or at least I'm pretty sure that's a standard slab?)

PS- those are some sharp little Vickies you're piling up. image

• Options
    WOW that thing made MS 62 with that dent I have a lot of hope for the 2-3 im gonna send.

Yes im putting a nice collection of UK 1/2 Penny and Penny's together for my daughter Probably take the next 18 years to get the all together or afford them anyway. I know some of the rares are ridiculous in price but ive been lucky finding good deals and in large lots so ill stay hopeful. It will be nice to have a complete set of the half and full penny's PCGS graded

I don't mind buying coins already graded but I do enjoy hunting and picking the raw ones. plus its taught me a lot about flaws such as dipping cleaning ect.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice additions! I'm big on British and Mexican, too.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC can fit a 2D in a regular dimension holder, but they may be in the double-thickness ones which are used for some medals. I haven't seen an NGC-graded 2D for a long time in person so I haven't paid attention.

I have seen the 2D in both oversize PCGS holders and in regular dimension holders -- but I'm not sure if they are regular thickness.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    Wow, that brings new meaning to the phrase "NGC Fattie".

Perhaps that is what the 2d I linked to is housed in.

Thanks for the picture; I had no idea those existed. I'd seen some pictures of the oversized holders Zohar has for some of his multiple talers, but never a double-thick holder of standard dimensions.

• Options
    Grades back from PCGS

1797 2D AU55 BN
    (2) 1806 1D AU55 BN and AU 50 BN
    1853 1D AU55 BN
    1797 1D XF45 BN
    1866 1D VF35 BN
    1807 1/2D Au55 BN
    1881 1/2D XF45 BN
    1889 1/2D AU55 BN

The 1884 didn't arrive in time to be graded this shipment
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Great job. I would think it's unusual to have all of them grade considering how old copper gets messed with over the years.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Nice selection, and good work getting that much copper to grade that well!
  • Options
    I just got the photos taken after picking them up today

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats - I think you did well.
  • Options