Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Singapore Mint - Orchid Series

My brother and his wife are collectors of beautiful orchids. As a birthday present I wanted to buy a nice coin with a colored orchid. The Singapore Mint has a series of these orchid coins selling for Sing $178 or approximately USD 130. Now here is the catch, shipping and insurance out of Singapore adds another USD 25+ per coin.

Has anyone tried to buy a coin from the Singapore Mint and shipped it back to the States? Is there a cheaper way of doing this other than to have a friend buy and ship it for you?

If travel to Singapore, do not miss the National Orchid Garden, it will blow you away with the colors. scents and type of plants. John
Sullykerry: Numismatic interests: Canada, Newfoundland, Japan pre-WWII, Ireland, Commemorative Coins (1892-1954) Celtic. References available on request.

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    eBay is probably going to be your best bet if you don't want to buy from the Singapore mint but it looks like it's slim pickings.

$25 for registered mail is, and this might be surprising, not even all that much. That's about how much it costs to ship a coin registered out of the US.

Dennis
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    If it's coming from the official government mint, I would gamble. Maybe I'm crazy but I like to think government organizations mail is handled with more respect and care then civilians (regardless of the country). If there are any shipping concerns, I'm sure the Mint has figured out a way to bypass them. I mean ... most world mints make their money on collectors market ... if they couldn't ship internationally then they would stand to lose a lot. IMHO. just my 2¢
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE