Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Poll: What attributes do you value most?

Note: I thought it would be possible to let people pick multiple answers but apparently not in this poll functionality. Just one attribute is a bit unrealistic. It was worth a try.

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eye appeal.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    I guess my choice does not easily fit into any category. I value the coins that cause an immediate reaction when I see them. The first time I look at a coin, I either say wow, hmmm or ugh. Sometimes it's design, sometimes "skin," sometimes flash, sometimes combinations of two or three factors. In addition, to complicate the picture even more, I like certain coins to look flashy/white, while others I want to be toned or dark. Finally, throw in the fact that I like some coins to have wear from people actually touching them and using them and some coins to be proof or uncirculated and you get a pretty complicated/unique picture.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artistry + history.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Design (aka artistry) and historical significance are probably the top two motivators for me. However, I will admit that I am also drawn to rarity (especially unique pieces) since I feel that having medals not commonly encountered adds some extra interest to a collection (and I think it's fun to own pieces that are lacking from major institutional holdings).

• << <i>Eye appeal. >>

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

1. Historical significance
    2. Artistry
    3. Everything else
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • For me there are three factors that should come together for a coin to be especially desireable (in no particular order):

(a) The coin should be interesting, i.e. it should say something about its context (not necessarily historically significant, but historically relevant)
    (b) The coin should have eye appeal, i.e. have nice partina/tone, interesting style, appealing wear pattern (technical grade is less relevant)
    (c) The coin should have some exculsivity factor, i.e. be rare/difficult to obtain (it should perhaps be unpublished or missing from many major references) and also be "difficult" in the sense that it requires some expertise to appreciate its particularities

Cheers,

Auto
    A grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a coin corresponds to an undefinable level of an unattainable state of preservation. - Never tell me that grading is science.
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    When I walk up to a table does the coin "jump at me".

What is my initial feeling of the coin. After that I will study the coin to see if it meets what I am looking for.

If I do not really like it initially I am extremely unlikely to get it.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Primarily rarity for me, it's nice bonus if they are high grade with good eye appeal, but that isn't always possible.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Eye appeal. >>

• coverscovers Posts: 624
    For collecting ancients, one aspect of quality I felt was not as well respected in the cost / quality equation (under-valued by many I think), was the centering of the strikes so that all inscriptions were completely struck on the coin. I never quite understood that.

For me, I would rather have a small (or very small) collection of high quality than a massive collection of space fillers.

My small group of Roman Republic is here
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cost &, Historical significance. I have bought my share of expensive coins but I am a bargain hunter and will wait and wait till something in my price range surfaces. Many times it takes awhile, but I dont have any issue with having what others would call a "slot filler" when its a particular scarce/rare coin to boot. It doesnt help that I find even lesser examples then my "slot fillers" being actually sold for more then I paid, and I take a bit of pride in it.

Sure I would love mint state/perfectly centered pieces like CNG or Harlan J Berk offer, but my wallet doesnt allow it.

Plus, I think wear is an important aspect on coins. With modern & U.S. collectors, mint state is all thats preached to buy, but I get bored of perfect coins. With wear, it gives you bigger wonder of where it circulated, how many hands have held it through time and so on. Plus wear can be very attractive.
    Cost &, Historical significance. I have bought my share of expensive coins but I am a bargain hunter and will wait and wait till something in my price range surfaces. Many times it takes awhile, but I dont have any issue with having what others would call a "slot filler" when its a particular scarce/rare coin to boot. It doesnt help that I find even lesser examples then my "slot fillers" being actually sold for more then I paid, and I take a bit of pride in it.

Sure I would love mint state/perfectly centered pieces like CNG or Harlan J Berk offer, but my wallet doesnt allow it.

Plus, I think wear is an important aspect on coins. With modern & U.S. collectors, mint state is all thats preached to buy, but I get bored of perfect coins. With wear, it gives you bigger wonder of where it circulated, how many hands have held it through time and so on. Plus wear can be very attractive.

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I am impressed with the eloquence of the posts. I didn't expect much after I couldn't get the poll to work like I envisioned.

For me, I am still impulsive in my tastes, but if I try to look objectively at the method of my madness, I would say that I am driven by:
    1 - design/artistry
    2 - scarcity
    3 - patina/originality
    4 - historical significance

I like gem pieces as much as the next guy, but a scarce piece in my theme with distinct design and original uncleaned surfaces is more than enough to make the cut.
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, eye appeal is the sum of many of the things on the list: (Originality, Condition, Technical grade, Patina, Luster)

I think Rarity/Mintage are also often highly correlated; but, of course rarity (to many) is also a function of popularity/demand.

For me, I'd rank the attributes as below:

1. Theme / design (I like the term "Artistry" for this one.)
    2. Eye appeal (All of the components listed above.)
    3. Historical significance (I don't collect ancients, so the "historicity" of modern issues is of less concern IMO.)
    4. Rarity/Mintage (Added bonus to be scarce, but not necessary.)

Last. Mint (I don't give two hoots about where it was made.)

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• << <i>Cost &, Historical significance. I have bought my share of expensive coins but I am a bargain hunter and will wait and wait till something in my price range surfaces. Many times it takes awhile, but I dont have any issue with having what others would call a "slot filler" when its a particular scarce/rare coin to boot. It doesnt help that I find even lesser examples then my "slot fillers" being actually sold for more then I paid, and I take a bit of pride in it.

Plus, I think wear is an important aspect on coins. With modern & U.S. collectors, mint state is all thats preached to buy, but I get bored of perfect coins. With wear, it gives you bigger wonder of where it circulated, how many hands have held it through time and so on. Plus wear can be very attractive. >>

you know you repeat yourself sometimes image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=

<< <i>

<< <i>Cost &, Historical significance. I have bought my share of expensive coins but I am a bargain hunter and will wait and wait till something in my price range surfaces. Many times it takes awhile, but I dont have any issue with having what others would call a "slot filler" when its a particular scarce/rare coin to boot. It doesnt help that I find even lesser examples then my "slot fillers" being actually sold for more then I paid, and I take a bit of pride in it.

Plus, I think wear is an important aspect on coins. With modern & U.S. collectors, mint state is all thats preached to buy, but I get bored of perfect coins. With wear, it gives you bigger wonder of where it circulated, how many hands have held it through time and so on. Plus wear can be very attractive. >>

you know you repeat yourself sometimes image >>

Yeah, sorry everyone, the reply screen wasnt loading. Kept getting the error screen that we all get when the board is down.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm definitely a theme person. The theme may be somewhat variable--on coins that is most likely having to do with a location or country that I have some affinity for, but the medals are definitely in one of several groups (the mommy-baby, sighthounds, mythological beasts, and horses dominate). The same groups are also represented in some of my coin choices as well.

After that comes eye appeal which involves the luster, patina, and conditions aspects. Anything with an original and/or well executed design is sure to catch my eye as well. Rarity adds spice, historical significance adds interest and I believe that only leaves technical grade and mintage off of the list of choices in the poll. Though mintage may just fall under rarity, and technical grade under eye appeal to some degree.

I think I managed to select all the choices image.

<< <i>

<< <i>Cost &, Historical significance. I have bought my share of expensive coins but I am a bargain hunter and will wait and wait till something in my price range surfaces. Many times it takes awhile, but I dont have any issue with having what others would call a "slot filler" when its a particular scarce/rare coin to boot. It doesnt help that I find even lesser examples then my "slot fillers" being actually sold for more then I paid, and I take a bit of pride in it.

you know you repeat yourself sometimes image >>

Sorry about that, was because I was getting an error screen everytime I hit reply so it didnt look to go through.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, you missed my most important attribute - graded by ANCGS and confirmed with a wingy - now that's my kind of value!image
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I chose mintage because, while I certainly value all other attributes in high regard, mintage and/or rarity is often the first thing I consider. Let's face it ... there are TONS of gorgeous coins out there, with great eye appeal, and great design ... sort of like women (or men if that's your fancy) so you might as well fall in love with a rare specimen imageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there seems a few of them could be tied in together there i like the originality part of it.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I voted rarity, provided that condition rarity is included in it.

At this point of my collecting life, it has to be ultra rare, a gem, preferably something never encountered for sale since 1979, WOW factor included, wether it's because of color or luster, or eye appeal in general and it helps if it's the object of desire of my fellow Greek collectors. image

Mintage is the one thing I really do not care about. There are coins with mintage of 100 and demand around 20-30, prefabricated rarities.

Survival rate in MS is important, yes. Good question wcg.image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I evaluate a coin pretty well the same way most of us do.
    My top requirement is that a purchase has to make financial sense. meaning the investment must have a reasonable expectation of increasing in value.
    translated this means for me that the coin must be in demand, meaning scarce and not readily available. That again means: rarity, condition, eye appeal. in short everything one would want.
    also prefer a raw coin to TPG coins....
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life