Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

UPDATED arrived today 1979 Cartwheel Twopence (what grade?????)

Heres one im adding to the collection any guess on the grade would help

[URL=http://s366.photobucket.com/user/coffeyce/media/1797.jpg.html]image[/URL]
[URL=http://s366.photobucket.com/user/coffeyce/media/1797-2.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Coffeyce, that is a pretty nice cartwheel. Typically they are very used and abused when for sale. I am not sure how to factor in the rim damage at 12 o'clock on the reverse for the grade. In details, I think that XF is pretty reasonable of a grade. VF+ at minimum, or if you follow European grading standards.
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    will the damaged keep it from grading
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That isn't really damage for these coins. Should grade AU at a US TPG.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    well im gonna give it a try to pcgs here in hk

I have a brit 1807 and 1855 Penny

(2) 1910 pesos, 1-1911 peso, (2) 1921 2 peso, 1- 1901/802 Honduras 25 cent, the 1879 Florin, 1890 peru 1/2 dinero, 1884 india 2 annas, 1855 usa 1/2 cent and 1922 Russian 50 kopeks going with it so wish me luck

chris
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I think PCGS will give it an EF or so, it should grade from the images, they are generally pretty easy going on damage to these.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something on my want list. Great coin!
  • Options
    well it was 200$ gamble but ive always wanted one in decent shape and wish a chance of grading I said WTH
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an amazing relic of the nascent stages of the industrial age - without steam powered presses huge thick coins like this one wouldn't have been possible.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    AU50-53 IMHO.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That isn't really damage for these coins. Should grade AU at a US TPG. >>

I agree.

That is a very nice Cartwheel. The rim ding is unfortunate, but pretty typical. Nice sharp detail on that one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Yeah I guess I really do undergrade from the way this thread is going. But I was not sure if it would be AU with the ding or if the details were strong enough for AU as well. I never see these in grades higher than maybe VF so I'm out of my depth. But a great coin nonetheless.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unable to get a good sense of the surfaces from the images. Could go 45 or as high as 53

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I know one thing, it certainly isn't from '1979' as stated in the title!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can PCGS or NGC put a 2d in a holder now? At one time they couldn't because the coin was too thick.

Never mind, I see from the PCGS pop report they slab these now.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can PCGS or NGC put a 2d in a holder now? At one time they couldn't because the coin was too thick.

Never mind, I see from the PCGS pop report they slab these now. >>

Yeah, I recently saw a picture of one in PCGS plastic and was kind of surprised.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup agreed - sud really grade AU53.

Maybe 50 at first image

Nice piece.
  • Options
    Alright coin arrived in hand.

Ill ship it to PCGS with a few others at end of the month

imageimage
  • Options
    Ohhhh thats pretty!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the added picture changes my initial range for the grade

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first reaction was "XF45"...I wouldn't be too surprised or disturbed to see it in an AU50 holder.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    Thanks brg, now I don't feel so off in my initial XF assessment.