Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Germany in March.

Ill be in Germany, Munich area during March. Any must see sights/dealers/museums. Ive been there before but was 20 so was more focused of women and beer....in that order. Now that Im a bit older I have different tastes. Trip will be military related so wont have a huge amount of extra time for these things. There will be a few chances where Ill have an entire day to explore.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Munich is a great numismatic city where there is concentration of shops.

I would recommend MGM for coins (not as much in higher grades) and a very broad selection of medals and other collectables - MGM. Very pleasant venue with a huge medals cabinet which allows for hours of viewing. This was a real treat regardless of what you collect

and then Artemis Münzen, Gorny & Mosch (Ancients artifacts and coins), Lanz and Kunker on Maximiliansplatz yet you may want to schedule in advance.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How welcoming are these types of venders to Americans who know very little German.

Also I have quite a few German coins that I don't necessarily collect. Would I do better selling them here myself online or there in Germany.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Far more welcoming than US dealers on average. MGM I found as very welcoming and a pleasant 2 floor shop. Gorny is more of a showroom for artifacts. I think it depends on what you are after. With the Euro current levels and their local access I doubt selling German coins makes sense unless you are less sensitive to price.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Numismata show is March 7-8.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    If anyone visit Numismata 7-8 , send me a message...i lll there image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How welcoming are these types of venders to Americans who know very little German.

Also I have quite a few German coins that I don't necessarily collect. Would I do better selling them here myself online or there in Germany. >>

If you visit the dealers concentrated in the city centre they will know at least better English than your German. And while your there there is a numismatic museum, a couple of early arches, the Frauenkirche and the Glockenspiele all within an easy walking distance.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll second MGM as a great dealer. They have all kinds if interesting things. Just tell them what you like and they will bring out a tray full of it. I don't particularly collect German, but I found several interesting items to buy there. Medals mostly--Czech and Belgian. And some books including a very interesting one published in old East Germany.

All the other large numismatic dealers were mostly auction venues, so they had little to buy. There was a shop along Maximiliansplatz that was just readying their retail numismatic sales area when I was there, so I didn't shop there, but it looked promising. (It wasn't Kuenker. I went there, but all they do there is receive consignments and offer catalogs.)

As far as sights, the Munchen Residenz (palace museum) has a small numismatic museum that was interesting and sells some books. But I bought the ticket to see the whole museum which took several hours. It was well worth the time and cost! Very enjoyable.

Edited to add: I don't speak a lick of German and had absolutely no trouble at all anywhere.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry it took me so long to follow up on this thread. I do intend to visit a number of the suggested museums, however plan on spending more funds on watches. I know bit of a let down, but it is my other hobby and I should be able to pick up a number of nice pieces at a fraction of the price here in the States.

Have to admit this stuff is rather amazing. This one is only a few small parts away from running.