Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Question about Spink auctions

I just registered and placed a bid online. I know that I placed the bid successfully, because the site allows me to amend my bid. But, I never got an email confirmation nor does the site tell me what my bid was. Very primitive.

Will I get noticed if I get outbid from an online bid? When the auction is over, when will I know if I won my lot? (The auction is too early for me to watch live because it starts in the morning in UK and I am in NY region.)

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    No, you don't get an outbid notice. Unless they have changed something in the past few months you won't even know you won it for a few days unless you go check the online archive and see what the winning bid was.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh. So antiquated!

Are they fast shippers? I'm hoping to get the package before I leave for NYINC.

I wouldn't bet money on that working out. I've gotten things in 2 weeks, but usually it's 3-5 days to get it invoiced and paid, then a few days to get it in the mail, then 7-21 days for it to wind it's way across the Atlantic.

I've got a couple of bids in, but really don't expect to have them in hand for 3-4 weeks. But I wish you better luck.
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ugh. So antiquated!

Are they fast shippers? I'm hoping to get the package before I leave for NYINC. >>

Only purchased from them once. From auction to delivery it took about 20 days. I think they shipped within a week of getting my payment.

Figure this time of year shipping may be slower. The big rate limiting step (for me at least) is the New York international sorting facility. Sometimes you get lucky and it breezes through, other times it's stuck there for 2 weeks. The plane trip across the Atlantic takes no time at all.
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ugh. So antiquated!

Are they fast shippers? I'm hoping to get the package before I leave for NYINC. >>

"So antiquated" -- A bit of an ironic post on a forum which hasn't updated their software for 14 or so years. image

What's the big rush to get the coin (if you even win it)? Are you going to flip it at NYINC? Seems everyone wants instant gratification. Good things come to those who wait...
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• When I was on a business trip to London I visited the offices of Spinks without an appointment. I was dressed in business attire. I received the impression that they were not open to public inquiries from the great unwashed let alone one from an American. Having worked in London for five years in the mid-80s, it didn't take me long to get the unspoken message.

I believe they really haven't come out of the Victorian era.

Spinks puts out books on English and Irish coins (I collect the latter). The references however are published periodically with no set release date.
    Sullykerry: Numismatic interests: Canada, Newfoundland, Japan pre-WWII, Ireland, Commemorative Coins (1892-1954) Celtic. References available on request.
    I just want to say that my contacts at Spink have always been first class. It's true they hail form the glory days when the British Empire covered the whole planet, but if you go along with the protocol, make appointments, converse with the right individuals they will take very good care of you.
  • Spink - If you really expect "rush" service, all you have to do is ask them. I routinely buy in their London sales and they have on file my FedEx account number and shipping address. They email me a copy of my invoice within two days of the sale and confirm that I want purchases sent by Fedex. I invariably get them three days later in taos, NM. Stuff does not get hung up in customs as often the case with registered mail. Don't blame Spink - communicate, communicate, communicate.

I have dealt extensively with the "new" Spink since Olivier Stocker became the majority owner several years ago. I have sold for clients over $20m of stamps and coins have never had any problems or issues. I am not a fan of their website or auction internet software. Instead, I use an agent to attend the sales to bid for me, or leave bids on the book.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sense their brand must be very strong to offset lack of technology and flexibility. They must have a very loyal customer base as some of the parallel US based firms have. As a seller I would be concerned about consignment as the buyer "mousetrap" may not be as efficient as some of the technology/marketing driven firms. As a buyer, why not, even if it takes longer to get the coin.
    Thanks for the responses. I got my bids in for lots that go off tomorrow morning UK time, so we'll see how I do.

As for my lack of patience, sadly my wife complains about that part of me too. And of course, you guys are right in that I don't need the coin before NYINC.

I once ordered a key coin from Lloyd Bennett in the UK. It got to me in a little more than a week, I think. Not bad, but that was the longest 7 to 9 days of my life. image

My subsequent purchases from the UK didn't result in my losing all my fingernails. image

EVP

Best of luck on your bids. Seems everything in UK auctions that I'm interested in goes for 3-5 times the upper estimate the last couple years. They may not have great software, but there are certainly some aggressive bidders on the material in the UK auctions.
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

I bid on three, and got crushed on two. Lost the third too. Me sad and relieved simultaneously. For the big boy coin, I have an idea who was one of my competitors. I wasn't the next underbidder, so I know I had at least two strong competitors for that coin.

Gotta keep reminding myself: this is a marathon, not sprint.

EVP

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it seems that the coin market isn't dead yet.

<< <i>Well it seems that the coin market isn't dead yet. >>

The special stuff usually brings out the money.

Same for me, I had 2 (what I thought were) solid bids in. Not even close.
    Well, at least I'm not the only one. Better luck next time.

-Brandon

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't place any bids but I watched some of the auction (remotely).

Prices appear to be strong. That does not bode well for me.
  • I received my invoice for my 2 lots this afternoon...

Same day as the auction..
    I noticed they had the prices sold for almost in real time, much better than they used to be.