Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1987 Leaf Rip - Maddux PSA 10? McGwire PSA 10? - Ripped the 2nd box 39 MONTHS LATER RIPPED A 3RD BOX

ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
Going to rip one of these, will let the board decide which one. First vote to 5 wins, or if no one gives a turd I'll just rip one in a half hour. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Right
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    both!

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Keep the cleanest one sealed and rip the one that has more wear on the box. Everything being equal I vote for the right to get you to the ripping faster.
    Steve
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I will go "right" as well.
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Right.
  • Options

<< <i>Middle one. >>

Bob, you're cut off.

4-0 Right so far. Both boxes are in about the same condition.
  • Options
    left
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    when there's a fork in the road...take it!
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I would keep them sealed until the Sixers win a game.

aconte
  • Options
    Alright, a half hour is up and right was leading 4-1 so that guy is getting ripped. Will post scans every 9 packs.
  • Options
    I should say before I start, what I really want is a pack with either McGwire/Maddux/Bonds/Bo Jackson showing on the back to keep sealed. I'll also keep any packs with HOFers showing sealed. Other than that, just hoping to get lucky with the condition gods.
  • Options
    Pretty good star power in the first 9 packs, not so good centering.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vote is for you to flip both 10 feet in the air and the one that lands face down you rip that one. If both are face down repeat until you have a result where only 1 is facing down.
  • Options
    The next 9 packs were okay, still not very good centering. I don't know what they were doing in Canada but quality control is atrocious. Everything is off-centered or fish eyes or dinged corners. Still no McGwire or Bo Jackson.

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    I would've went with the shady one.
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Have needed a PSA 10 Carlton Fisk from that set for awhile. Anything close?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm expecting the 1970s OPC wax next, Artie.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Pretty good hit!

I don't think the T/B centering on the Maddux is going to allow it to get a 10 but I've also seen worse centering on 10's before so I never know. Thoughts?

• Options

<< <i>I'm expecting the 1970s OPC wax next, Artie. >>

Ohhhhhh no. I've fallen for your weekend rip temptings before. Not this time, Tim. My 70s OPC is staying sealed.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    9 ..10 on a good day. Nice rippage!
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Looks nothing like Greg Maddux now.
  • Options
    That Maddux looks razor sharp even with the super size. Centering slight off L/R, but a good shot at a 10, imho..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BANG!

Last 9 packs had virtually nothing except for this McGwire. I try to be ultra conservative, but can anyone tell me what stops this from being a 10? Pop 22 out of 686 submitted. This would be a nice score.

Also, this was only 33 packs as I got a pack with Seaver, Yount, and Schmidt showing. Might make a run at complete HOFer showing on back pack set from this.

Really, really happy with the McGwire. Starting to think about ripping that other box. image

• Options
    The McGwire is dead centered and gem mint. Nice pull!

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    REALLY NICE MCGWIRE!
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Love this set. I say rip the other!!
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    I'm in the process of ripping the second box. It's a weird box, but may end up being better than the first. I will post one batch of scans with everything when I'm done. Just a little less than a quarter of the box left.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    that McGwire set the hook in ya, huh?

good luck!
  • Options
    Here's the second box. I'm pretty happy. Like I said earlier, it was a weird box. Two of the columns almost completely replicated themselves with the cards showing on back. Part of a third column did as well. I got multiple packs with Brett Butler, Andy McGaffigan, Ernest Riles, Pat Tabler and a few others showing on back. Luckily, one of the repeating players was Barry Bonds. So I got two packs with Barry Lamar Bonds showing on back. Very happy with that. Would have preferred McGwire or Maddux, but beggars can't be choosers.

Finally pulled a few Bo Jacksons. Unfortunately, they were all off-centered.

Believe it or not, another McGwire that maybe has a chance. Not quite as dead nuts centered as the one from the first box but pretty good.

A couple of nice Maddux cards. This first one is a hair off L/R but might still be within 10 standards.

This next one is about as dead nuts as it gets for centering, unfortunately there's the tiniest nick on the bottom right corner. Too bad.

All-in-all, I'm thrilled with these two boxes. I get the feeling I got extremely lucky with the McGwires as they're even a pretty tough pull in a PSA 9 (for 80s cards). I think I might have at least one PSA 10 Maddux out of the nicest two, as well. Between those and the two Bonds packs I really couldn't have hoped for more success.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sharp cards! Reminds me of 1971 Topps.
    Cool Break
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, one of the best two box rips I've seen in a while. It's definitely worth sending the bonds packs in for grading. One 10 or two 9's pays for the rip alone.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Nice rip!

I love this stuff. Smaller set compared to the Donruss which gets you more stars/rookies per box!

Good luck on the grades

Tom
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats, one of the best two box rips I've seen in a while. It's definitely worth sending the bonds packs in for grading. One 10 or two 9's pays for the rip alone. >>

Unfortunately, both Bonds packs have a tiny tear on a corner where the wrapper is tucked in. It's not visible in a scan but would obviously prevent either pack from grading high.
  • Options
    Glad i was right about the box on the left image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Interested in selling that last Maddux?
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Have ripped a bunch of cases of these and graded several dozen maddux 10s. A couple of observations:

You have a shot on the maddux with that centering, if else is good.
    Weird collation - You dont see variation in centering in a box like that at all
    McGwire - is a pure beast on centering. That card is a freak.
    Bo almost always has a dinged corner, usually top left, regardless of centering
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    The first Mac is a 10.
    Neither Maddux will 10. Look at the right top and bottom
    right corners.
  • Options

<< <i>Interested in selling that last Maddux? >>

Thanks, but not selling.

<< <i>Neither Maddux will 10. Look at the right top and bottom
    right corners. >>

The first (L/R centering) and the third (corners) don't have a shot, I agree. You think the L/R centering on the second prevents it from getting into a 10 holder?
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the steroid hall of fame.
  • Options
    Any chance you've got a potential PSA 10 Dwight Evans from this set?

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maddux had such a sweet 'stache.

Congrats on the dime.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Are the 3 Maddux for sale?

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got some of those boxes laying around. This may inspire some ripping, not sure yet.

P.S., eagleeyeguy = eagleeyekid?

• Options

Very nice results!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arthur,

Congrats on the results. Those black borders can be tough.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Thanks guys!

The cards aren't for sale.

Arthur

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    I've got some of those boxes laying around. This may inspire some ripping, not sure yet.

P.S., eagleeyeguy = eagleeyekid?

:*

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Why is the McGwire in a plastic sleeve??