Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just another day at the shop......................well, not quite. I added a picture of one coin.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
So we get a call from our other store that there is a guy offering an 1893-S Morgan Dollar in a PCGS AU50 holder for sale. The store is a Pawn Shop about 15 minutes away that also does coins, although the manager isn't a very sharp blade and has minimal interest in coins. My boss jumps in his car to check things out and 20 minutes later in strolls a guy offering, you guessed it, an 1893-S Morgan Dollar, only this one is a PCGS AU53. A quick glance reveals it to be a counterfeit that was probably cast with very poor workmanship around the date. I told the guy as much and as we talked I did a cert. check at this site and followed a link to Heritage of a sale. He seemed curious to know how I could tell it was a counterfeit and as I explained it to him I also showed him the cert. verification and auction link.

As we were doing that I took a call from my boss at the other store and I told him that the guy was with me now. He told me to try to keep him in the store and that they were calling the police, but it was too late. The guy knew something was up so he headed for the door with me calling to him, got outside and glanced around before dashing to his car. We tried to get his plate number but he was really moving!!! The police showed up about 10 minutes later, took what we could give them and also went to the other store to get video footage.

Hopefully he'll pop up and find himself behind bars.

Al H.

--- here's a picture of one counterfeit coin in a counterfeit PCGS holder.

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you're saying he may not have been an innocent victim?
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not an average day! Nice work. Hope the cops find the guy.
  • Options
    when he showed up at my counter I assumed it was the coin that he tried to sell at the other store, that he had failed there and my boss had missed him. we talked while I was looking at it , he explained his brother gave it to him in repayment of a debt. there was no reason for me to think anything past him being just another guy that had gotten duped by a counterfeit coin in a counterfeit holder with a good cert. number. he actually seemed surprised that I knew it was a phony, could show him on the coin why I thought that and was able to follow up with the online verification/link. he even told me his name but the transaction never got to the point where I asked for ID.

it wasn't until my boss called that I realized the guy was up to something and he figured out that I knew. that's when he split.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What part of the country are you in? It sounds like he's going to be popping up frequently.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did he leave the coin behind at your store? How about at the pawn shop?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scary.

Someone will get stuck with it
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did he leave the coin behind at your store? How about at the pawn shop? >>

Why would he leave an expensive coin behind at a coin shop where he doesn't know the dealer?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did he leave the coin behind at your store? How about at the pawn shop? >>

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Why would he leave an expensive coin behind at a coin shop where he doesn't know the dealer? >>

The guy knew something was up so he headed for the door with me calling to him, got outside and glanced around before dashing to his car.

I can see where ms70 thought he left the coin. I read the OP's sentence above like when the guy found out he was caught that he bolted for the door and left the coin behind in his hast.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully there are fingerprints on the holder.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keets, you would have been better off playing along, to get him to name a price. Once you had his signature on an invoice and some form of ID, there would have been no chance that he could take flight. You could have put the weight on him to have to explain to LE where he got it from.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    keets, you would have been better off playing along

hindsight is always 20/20, the way things unfolded there was never an opportunity. when I realized it was a scam he knew I knew and the game was over. we have his ID from the other store with one of the coins and my boss is heading to the local Sherriff and then the FBI tomorrow.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Do you think this was a small time scammer trying to pull a fast one with Alibaba fakes or part of a larger coordinated ring?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Do you think this was a small time scammer trying to pull a fast one with Alibaba fakes or part of a larger coordinated ring?

I can't answer that but the links below to Heritage are the ones that were counterfeited.

AU50.
    AU53.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why would he leave an expensive coin behind at a coin shop where he doesn't know the dealer? >>

The guy knew something was up so he headed for the door with me calling to him, got outside and glanced around before dashing to his car.

I can see where ms70 thought he left the coin. I read the OP's sentence above like when the guy found out he was caught that he bolted for the door and left the coin behind in his hast. >>

Thank you, that's exactly right. I thought maybe he ran out in a panic while keets was still holding it. I really don't get how that was hard to infer.

• Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Great, now I'll never be able to sell that coin I won at Heritage 3 years ago...

-KHayse
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you think this was a small time scammer trying to pull a fast one with Alibaba fakes or part of a larger coordinated ring?

I can't answer that but the links below to Heritage are the ones that were counterfeited.

AU50.
    AU53. >>

what were the tells that tipped off the phony coin besides the rarity
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A local jewelry shop down here in Akron got a call a couple weeks ago from a gentleman trying to sell a '93-S dollar also in a PCGS slab, only his was MS65 and at a bargain price of 5 grand. Could there be a connection?????
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dumb Question ?...........Say they catch this pud.......what kind of charges can they bring against him other than fraud ?

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    we have his ID from the other store with one of the coins and my boss is heading to the local Sherriff and then the FBI tomorrow. >>

Excellent!

I've got a feeling this guy is gonna be caught.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dumb Question ?...........Say they catch this pud.......what kind of charges can they bring against him other than fraud ?

Steve >>

Just as important: If he had done it only ONCE, could they really charge him with anything? "I didn't know it was fake. I know nothing about coins, and just offered what I had."

Doing it twice, in two separate transactions, kind of shoots a hole in the "I didn't know" defense....
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A local jewelry shop down here in Akron got a call a couple weeks ago from a gentleman trying to sell a '93-S dollar also in a PCGS slab, only his was MS65 and at a bargain price of 5 grand. Could there be a connection????? >>

Sounds like a guy selling his grading set!image
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So did the pawn shop buy one of the coins?????
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    we have his ID from the other store with one of the coins and my boss is heading to the local Sheriff and then the FBI tomorrow. >>

I think you need the Secret Service with counterfeiting. Add them to your list.

Also, if the dude turns out to be not guilty of anything, and he finds a good lawyer.......................
  • Options
    what were the tells that tipped off the phony coin besides the rarity

the area around the date was terrible and overall it didn't "look" right. though I am far, far from knowledgeable with counterfeits and Morgan Dollars it was pretty clear even in the PCGS holder. I will take a picture this evening and post the AU50.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    we have his ID from the other store with one of the coins and my boss is heading to the local Sheriff and then the FBI tomorrow. >>

I think you need the Secret Service with counterfeiting. Add them to your list.

Also, if the dude turns out to be not guilty of anything, and he finds a good lawyer....................... >>

I think the Secret Service is currently occupied with trying to secure the White House.image

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Dumb Question ?...........Say they catch this pud.......what kind of charges can they bring against him other than fraud ?

Steve >>

Just as important: If he had done it only ONCE, could they really charge him with anything? "I didn't know it was fake. I know nothing about coins, and just offered what I had."

Doing it twice, in two separate transactions, kind of shoots a hole in the "I didn't know" defense.... >>

GOOD POINT, as well as these two coins are in the price guide at better than 20 grand each and it would
    also be LIKE.....Identity Fraud as these two coins are certified and have there own prominence in the hobby

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Alibaba style fakes usually aren't too hard to tell. The strikes are usually shallow, the date fonts aren't quite right, and some (but admittedly not all) have more of a 1921-style eagle reverse.
    And of course the labels are all usually from the same group of numbers.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    I think the Secret Service is currently occupied with trying to secure the White House

• Options

<< <i>The Alibaba style fakes usually aren't too hard to tell. The strikes are usually shallow, the date fonts aren't quite right, and some (but admittedly not all) have more of a 1921-style eagle reverse.
    And of course the labels are all usually from the same group of numbers. >>

Many aren't even struck. They are cast in a homemade mold.

• Options
    I don't know how you prove the guy knew it was a fake, unless you find the dies in his garage.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    well, the way he got out the door, looked around, dashed for his car(that was parked in an adjoining lot) and then peeled rubber down the road before he ran the STOP sign sort of sealed it for me!!image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Definitely an exciting time at the shop, keets! image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    TTT with a picture in the OP.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that the coin has a little bit of toning on it, toning that I'd call NT.
  • Options
    Wow. Not being a Morgan guy, the coin might have slid by me but I would've picked up on the slab being fake.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good work Keets.

Those lips are a dead give away too.
    They make Miss Liberty look like Nate from State Farm.
  • Options
    this one doesn't look that bad......................when compared to the one I was offered.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    awesome job there keets
    hopefully they catch that rat and he squeals if he wasn't a lone ranger in this
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file