Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help ID ing a couple of pieces that I have....

These 2 items turned up as I have been going thru boxes, bags, cans, jars, tubes, etc., in yet another attempt to organize my collection. I remember receiving one of the pieces, but the other...no idea.

Starting with the coin that I remember getting at least 15 years ago as a cheap (or free) throw-in with a substantial order on eBay. It was described as a "Good Luck" pocket piece - which I got a laugh out of, because if whoever had it rubbed it for luck, he must not have had much of the good variety! It is a Hibernia piece, as shown by the harp, and the very faint 'HIBERNIA' that runs along the upper edge of the reverse. However, I cannot find any images of a bust of King George that seems to fit the size of the coin in question. I can't find even the slightest hint of a date on either side.

Next is the piece that I have no recollection of. I get the feeling that it is a replica or token (or replica of a token) - it weighs 5 grams, is an inch in diameter, and the planchet is rather thin. I will also post on the dark-side and we'll see who has the answers the quickest!

As always, THANKS to everybody!
Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top piece is George III Irish halfpenny 1766-1769.

Bottom piece is a coronation commemorative, probably a modern reproduction.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Thanks for narrowing the date down on the halfpenny. I have to agree with your opinion on the 2nd example - with the tarnish and the flimsy 'feel' to it, I figured it was a much more recently produced souvenir...I wondered if possibly the original dies were ever re-used because of the date having one number nearly missing (polished out?), but it just doesn't look or feel right.
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your brass coronation token looks real. Not really worth counterfeiting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file