Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit 09-S Indian Cent - Need Help

CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a good friend who is wanting to learn and understand why his 09-S Indian cent is counterfeit. He bought this coin in the 80s and it was recently returned from ANACS as a counterfeit (with a note that the S was added).

In the spirit of learning, he asked me to post his pictures of the coin and to see if anyone could point out the differences between a legitimate version and his coin. If you have pics that can help compare/contrast, that would also be desirable. I sent him some ebay descriptive links that gave an overview of some of the markers, but when he read them they weren't helpful. I am not qualified to guide him in this matter.

So, take a look and share your thoughts!

On his behalf and mine, thank you in advance.
"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    the S is wrong. should be the same S used on early lincolns I believe tell your friend to punch up heritage.com and compare his to some similar circulated 09-s Indians. pictures are a much more clear than a description
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The S should be square/boxy, over all, with parallel serifs. While the same S punch was used for years on early Lincoln cents, the MM for the IHC's is slightly larger.

Below are MM's from an '08-S, '09-S IHC, '09-S Lincoln, and '09S-VDB Lincoln.

If that's an added MM in the OP it's mighty fine work. I might get a 2nd opinion.
    Lance.

(edited for accuracy)

imageimageimageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    The OP "S" is rotated clockwise about 8-10 degrees too much, also, we don't have fine pictures to see what the metal flow looks like inside the "S," which can be a telling sign.

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    My first question would be: Is it counterfeit or a real 1909 with an added mint mark? The details look soft even for a circ, so I am suspecting the former, a counterfeit where the counterfeiter did not do the mint mark right.
  • Options
    So, if we focus then upon his coin's mintmark, the serifs do appear "boxy" and parallel, right? I'm still having a tough time telling the difference with his S and the legit examples.

edit: I did not see the edited comment above regarding mintmark rotation. I think I see that!
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My first question would be: Is it counterfeit or a real 1909 with an added mint mark? The details look soft even for a circ, so I am suspecting the former, a counterfeit where the counterfeiter did not do the mint mark right. >>

The coin looks real. The mintmark does not.

It may look strange because the surfaces were tooled after the mintmark was added. This helps the mintmark blend in with the rest of the coin. If not, there would be discoloration around that area.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps this thread on My first questionable authenticity submission of a 1909-S from my father's collection will provide some insight. Though IMHO the mintmark placement appears accurate.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My first question would be: Is it counterfeit or a real 1909 with an added mint mark? The details look soft even for a circ, so I am suspecting the former, a counterfeit where the counterfeiter did not do the mint mark right. >>

It appears ANACS felt it was a genuine 1909.

Since the date was hubbed it shouldn't be difficult to compare numeral and denticle positions.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps this thread on My first questionable authenticity submission of a 1909-S from my father's collection will provide some insight. Though IMHO the mintmark placement appears accurate. >>

Modcrewman -

Thanks for the link. I see in your thread that IHC expert Rick Snow posted reverse die markers from his web page here. I will ask my friend to examine his coin under a loupe to see if the die markers are evident.

Edited to correct link - thanks Lance!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I swear the whole reverse of that coin looks fake?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I swear the whole reverse of that coin looks fake? >>

Looks polished to me.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Looks polished to me. >>

I agree. I think that the reverse has been polished. I'm not 100% sure that the coin is a counterfeit. The mint mark looks to in the right place and have the right shape. Here is the reverse of a 1909-S Indian Cent that was certified as an MS-64, Brown by PCGS or NGC. I forgot which one it was

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mintmarks were sometimes even glued on - and have been known to fall off later. See the post above about the serifs on the S - on the OP coin they are almost non-existent.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Looks polished to me. >>

I agree. I think that the reverse has been polished. I'm not 100% sure that the coin is a counterfeit. The mint mark looks to in the right place and have the right shape. Here is the reverse of a 1909-S Indian Cent that was certified as an MS-64, Brown by PCGS or NGC. I forgot which one it was

image >>

That's what I was thinking too, Bill.

I wonder if it is a genuine 1909-S 1c that has had the reverse severely polished.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    the S rotation in degrees was the first thing I noticed.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Maybe dip the mint mark in acetone and see what happens ?
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you check out the edge of the coin?
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mintmark looks genuine to me; the coin does appear to have been cleaned however. I'd consider submitting it to our hosts.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your coin:

There are only two known reverse dies:

S1

S2

It looks like the second genuine example (S2). It could just be a heavily polished genuine coin.

Found here
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Thanks again to all who've responded. My friend sent me another picture of the reverse that shows more of its natural color. While this new pic is not detailed enough to help with the die markers that Rick has provided, it is not overexposed and may counter the polishing perceptions previously stated. Anyway, based upon all of your comments, he's decided to get another opinion and will send the coin to PCGS. I'll let you know the results once he's learned the outcome.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "fuzziness" of the design elements means that the coin has either been polished and recolored (on maybe has done some re-toning over the last 20 + years), or it is a counterfeit. I tend to go with the first observation.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without knowing about serifs and angles,the first thing I observed was the boldness of the mintmark.This makes the coin immediately suspect in my mind.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    The coin has an overall fake look to it.Non-experts in a series should always buy expensive key dates like this only in a reputable TPG slab.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    If the mintmark was added,a soak in some acetone should result in the mintmark falling off.

• Options
    I think PCGS will call it "No decision".

You could send it to me to examine in-hand if you like.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a pretty good offer.
  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    strike too mushy in some places too bold in others. '

ill wager FAKE -
    BT&C
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is a fake. Mintmark was added. When compared to the two die varieties posted by Rick Snow, you will notice that the distance between the S mint mark and the space between the bottom of the S and the dentils is significantly not in proportion the the height of the S.

OINK
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Confusing!

Is the S slightly bigger and lower on it than it should be?

The S style looks like a better match than I'd expect on a fake.

I'd take Rick up on his offer to examine it.
    Ed
  • Options

<< <i>I think PCGS will call it "No decision".

You could send it to me to examine in-hand if you like. >>

PM sent, Rick. My friend plans to send it to you. Thank you, and perhaps we can revisit this thread in the future with the outcome of your review!
  • Options
    Thanks for sending the coin.

The coin is not an added mint mark, but struck from a fake die. The mint marks is very close to the genuine as the first image shows. The genuine coin is under the fake. The fake coin has heavily polished to hide imperfections. It was likely made back in the 1970's.

• Options
    EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    Rick you are a class act.

Thanks!
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to Rick Snow for the authentication and photos!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the side-by-side images.

they look so alike, until i did some mm alignment work.

i will probably use this alignment method for my study. image

once i do both known reverse dies against this fakie, i'll have some interesting info!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW this is definitely the best thread this month image

Education is Priceless

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Great comparison from Rick!
    That one was confusing, I think many collectors would think it was good.
    Ed
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    The coin looked bad to me from the images, mostly because the mintmark did not look like it "belonged"
    on the coin (different texture, etc.). I still question whether it is an alteration vs. a counterfeit -- most
    decent counterfeits are made from genuine coins, so the position of the 'S' would be the same. If this is
    a struck counterfeit, then the 'S' would have been added to the fake die. While that does happen, it is
    pretty unusual, since it adds quite a bit to the labor costs when producing fake dies, something that they
    try to avoid. Any chance the fake reverse die was made from a 1908-S?

Since I have not seen the coin, only the images, I will defer to Rick's judgement. Besides, bad is bad --
    the news is not good for the owner either way. This is one that I will put into my files for future reference.

Thanks for your great work on this coin, Rick. Superior images.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS graded this one found in an indian cent dealer binimage

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file