Home Precious Metals
Options

Fiscal considerations & random thoughts on the new Iraq bombing campaign.

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not debating whether something needed to be done or not, but what do you figure it will cost for a year's worth of degrading the enemy's resources?

Do you see this affecting the dollar at all or the price of precious metals at all? I do think it will impact the budget deficit and the debt. Some sectors of the economy may benefit.

Tomahawk missiles contain quite a bit of silver.
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our economic policy has become one of perpetual war funded by perpetual debt; 24 years now in Iraq alone. Will eventually create a need for more new money that will once again be called something exotic to distract from the fact that it is nothing more than new debt. Madmen remain at the controls who once again are willing to sacrifice our sons and daughters and rob our paychecks to do so. As bad as he was, there would be no ISIS if Hussein was still in charge. Would most likely be a lot more living innocents there as well. Sometimes stability alone is better than a democracy without stability.

Latest events will have no more affect on the dollar than any of the other useless war we wage around the world. The industrial demand for PMs created by the killing machines is a drop in the big bucket. I do find it a bit odd that our biggest war monger is a man who himself suffered for years as a POW. I can only speculate that he must have sold his soul somewhere in Washington.

Beginning to look a lot like another Roman Empire. History has not been very kind to empires. Yep, I'm fed up with funding it.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thought was that suddenly, there is no concern whatsoever about the "fiscal cliff".
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>My thought was that suddenly, there is no concern whatsoever about the "fiscal cliff". >>

With Printing Press Thelma at the FED and War Monger Louise on the ticket there will most definitely be a cliff.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Our economic policy has become one of perpetual war funded by perpetual debt; 24 years now in Iraq alone. Will eventually create a need for more new money that will once again be called something exotic to distract from the fact that it is nothing more than new debt. Madmen remain at the controls who once again are willing to sacrifice our sons and daughters and rob our paychecks to do so. As bad as he was, there would be no ISIS if Hussein was still in charge. Would most likely be a lot more living innocents there as well. Sometimes stability alone is better than a democracy without stability.

Latest events will have no more affect on the dollar than any of the other useless war we wage around the world. The industrial demand for PMs created by the killing machines is a drop in the big bucket. I do find it a bit odd that our biggest war monger is a man who himself suffered for years as a POW. I can only speculate that he must have sold his soul somewhere in Washington.

Beginning to look a lot like another Roman Empire. History has not been very kind to empires. Yep, I'm fed up with funding it. >>

I think we've slipped from the Roman Republic to the Roman Empire for quite some time now. We have a Senate (and House) going through the motions pretending to represent, Nero playing golf while ISIL beheads America and a Media feeding anything "traditional" to the lions.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    The argument is it's cheaper to fight them there than here. I personally think the national debt has been forgotten about by all involved in power.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The argument is it's cheaper to fight them there than here. I personally think the national debt has been forgotten about by all involved in power. >>

The problem with that argument is that ISIS and all the other boogeymen don't really exist. There are some angry people out there but if we stopped arming them they would stop shooting at us do to lack of bullets .

The debt does is exist of course so we need to ignore that, however if there was a way to shoot or bomb the debt into submission it would have been handled by now image

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Tomahawk missiles contain quite a bit of silver

Nice tie in to make it still meet the requirement of being bullion related discussion LMAO! image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Tomahawk missiles contain quite a bit of silver. >>

An "Urban Legend" that sprang up in 2011. image

However, we did fire a few against ISIS in Syria....could be the reason why silver is up slightly? image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As bad as he was, there would be no ISIS if Hussein was still in charge. >>

My bet is that Hussein would have succumbed to the Arab Spring, and Iraq would be in turmoil with radicals running amok, just like now.

Would have saved us a bunch of lives and money if we'd waited it all out. And I suspect it still would.

It's sad to see how easily we got dragged back into that bottomless pit. Exit strategy, anyone?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As bad as he was, there would be no ISIS if Hussein was still in charge. >>

My bet is that Hussein would have succumbed to the Arab Spring, and Iraq would be in turmoil with radicals running amok, just like now.

Would have saved us a bunch of lives and money if we'd waited it all out. And I suspect it still would.

It's sad to see how easily we got dragged back into that bottomless pit. Exit strategy, anyone? >>

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1 billion will buy about 700 Tomohawk missiles. Thats should result in considerable degradation.

To put in perspective, Walmart sells about $1 billion worth of crap every 19 hours.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone has to pay for our military unless you can just print more, debasing what is left.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's sad to see how easily we got dragged back into that bottomless pit. Exit strategy, anyone? >>

No exit strategy here. We have squandered the worlds mightiest military in the name of liberalism and proportionality. This war would have ended on September12, 2001 had we had a Democrat president..........assuming that it was Harry Truman!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's sad to see how easily we got dragged back into that bottomless pit. Exit strategy, anyone? >>

No exit strategy here. We have squandered the worlds mightiest military in the name of liberalism and proportionality. This war would have ended on September12, 2001 had we had a Democrat president..........assuming that it was Harry Truman! >>

This is a war of religious ideology that will never "end". Accept it, manage it, just as humans have since they found a need for religion.

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a war of religious ideology that will never "end". Accept it, manage it, just as humans have since they found a need for religion. >>

It is not a war about religion any more than Washington DC gives a damn about the minimum wage worker.

It is a war led by ruthless barbarians that disregard any boundries of decency.

How does one manage a nuclear armed Iran or Pakistan or North Korea for that matter? Is the answer shooting pellets and wait until they unleash the ultimate weapons upon our shores or that of our allies?

13 years after 9/11 we are strip searched at the airport, get frisked at a concert and have our internet and phone messages intercepted.

If that is management to you, Cohodk, you see the world through a different lens than I do.
  • Options
    Is the answer shooting pellets and wait until they unleash the ultimate weapons upon our shores or that of our allies?

Maybe.

What would be a more reasonable solution? Nuke them first? Invite them over to smoke a bowl?

Maybe if we did that then we wouldnt need to do this? "13 years after 9/11 we are strip searched at the airport, get frisked at a concert and have our internet and phone messages intercepted"

Todays problems are the same as yesterdays and tomorrows will be the same as today.

Oh, and if the CIA or NSA is reading this post then, HI, with a big smiley face and waving arm.

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$1 billion will buy about 700 Tomohawk missiles. >>

All of these things need revisions and updates and have a shelf life.
    Maybe they used up some older inventory before they get outdated.

I noticed that they launched the tomahawks from the USS Arleigh Burke, she's the oldest ship in the class. She's due for a bunch of modifications and updates. Maybe it saves some money to unload her tomahawks on the way for her refit, based on the schedule she's probably about ready to be on her way for that refit.

Link to Arleigh Burke article

What it cost so far won't change PM prices or budgets, it won't get beyond the noise level unless it lasts a long time.
    Other issues like the world economy matter much more than this.
    Ed
  • Options
    Pretty much sums it up:

• Options

<< <i>Pretty much sums it up:

image >>

Not really. I have my doubts that the Saudis are still supporting IS. I'm sure they did at one time along with anyone willing to fight the Syrian regime. The Saudis have the most to loose of any of the Arab Monarchies in the event of an ISIS takeover. Worst case scenario, "The three horsemen of the apocalypse" will make their appearance and the entire middle east will become a nuclear wasteland.
  • Options
    Not really. I have my doubts that the Saudis are still supporting IS. I'm sure they did at one time along with anyone willing to fight the Syrian regime. The Saudis have the most to loose of any of the Arab Monarchies in the event of an ISIS takeover. Worst case scenario, "The three horsemen of the apocalypse" will make their appearance and the entire middle east will become a nuclear wasteland.

This is about the only way it will be solved. We have been involved to long, if we do not defeat and destroy they will be totally around the world. They will cause global destruction as well as here. They have to be anillated.
  • Options
    People can be destroyed but defeating a religious ideology is almost impossible. There have always been those who wish to create terror and chaos. Its built into the human condition.

• Options
    What I think, It was a mistake to have killed Sadum. He knew the various religions and he knew who were the problems. He put his forces to work dealing with it. We had no idea what he was doing to keep order in the Middle East. Now with hind site it has become our problem. Sometimes it is best to leave things alone unless you know the whole story. United
    States should have not killed him. A bag of uncontrollable worms have been released.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Pretty much sums it up:

image >>

Not really. I have my doubts that the Saudis are still supporting IS. I'm sure they did at one time along with anyone willing to fight the Syrian regime. The Saudis have the most to loose of any of the Arab Monarchies in the event of an ISIS takeover. Worst case scenario, "The three horsemen of the apocalypse" will make their appearance and the entire middle east will become a nuclear wasteland. >>

I'm reminded of the lyric in a '50's Harry Belafonte song, "it was clear as mud, but it covered the ground."