Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This is how totally ignorant eBay is after all these years...

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have an item listed with a BIN, and the Make An Offer option. I purposely set my minimum accepted price on the Make An Offer option at 14% below the BIN (using the auto decline feature). A potential buyer makes three consecutive offers within minutes, with the last offer being only a couple dollars below my set minimum. No eBay messages indicating auto-declined offers, no emails indicating auto-declined offers. Only an indication on the listing that three ascending offers were auto declined. I decide to contact the member to accept his final offer. SleazeBay wants an item number for whatever reason, before the messaging textbox appears, so I provide it. The message textbox appears, but with no header referencing the item number. Checking the sent message later, I find that there is no reference at all to the item number. So a member who is very active on SleazeBay would not likely have a clue what this message is about, even though the dummies asked for an item number in reference. Geniuses, I tell ya! image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to come off as an eBay apologist, but did you check e-mail preferences to verify that it's impossible
    to receive notification of automatically declined offers? If there's no setting for that, I'd have to say that
    I'd rather NOT be notified of those. Seems like that's one of the main purposes of auto-decline: to reduce
    noise and interruptions to the seller.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to come off as an eBay apologist, but did you check e-mail preferences to verify that it's impossible
    to receive notification of automatically declined offers? If there's no setting for that, I'd have to say that
    I'd rather NOT be notified of those. Seems like that's one of the main purposes of auto-decline: to reduce
    noise and interruptions to the seller. >>

I used to get many e-mails from eBay. I never touched my settings on eBay and most of the e-mails stopped over the summer. Now I don't even get outbid notices. Not in my SPAM folder either.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stupid is as stupid does.
    A bird in the hand is worthless dead.
    If the shoe fits, why buy another pair ?
    I can't think of anything logical to add regarding that venue anymore.
  • Options
    Coindeuce I had the same darn thing happen and it was a $0.75 difference.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that sounds incredibly frustrating.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's true. eBay just keeps making it more complicated & confusing every few months. I could go on & on about issues as both a buyer and seller, ranging from their policies to things you
    need to navigate to being nearly impossible to find. A few times I had to google for a navigation link on eBay.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why you put up with the lowball offers! Counter Offers do work sometimes! image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not to come off as an eBay apologist, but did you check e-mail preferences to verify that it's impossible
    noise and interruptions to the seller. >>

I used to get many e-mails from eBay. I never touched my settings on eBay and most of the e-mails stopped over the summer. Now I don't even get outbid notices. Not in my SPAM folder either.

image >>

i dont either anymore. just as well
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've surrendered long ago. Stipulated that they are the village idiots...

But they own the village.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it very encouraging that they want me to return an item that hasn't even arrived yet.
    Notice that you lost your tracking on anything shipped! You have to go somewhere other than the My eBay page to find it now.
    Oh and I also receive no messages about declined offers anymore too.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've surrendered long ago. Stipulated that they are the village idiots...

But they own the village. >>

Village may become a ghost town.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's why you put up with the lowball offers! Counter Offers do work sometimes! image >>

I agree. You should not use auto-decline. I am guessing that Ebay took out the automatic messages on Best Offer to discourage the auto-decline option. Next they will just take it out all together.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started using the auto decline after being offered melt and expected free shipping on a MS66FBL Franklin in a PCGS slab.image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I started using the auto decline after being offered melt and expected free shipping on a MS66FBL Franklin in a PCGS slab.image >>

I'm sorry…. I thought you'd be happy that I was interested at spot price image ( insert sarcasm here )
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Hate to give my secrets away - I never auto decline - at least 3 occasions a buyer has told me they bought an item I listed at full price as they saw an offer pending and they didn't want to lose the coin to a potential strong offer so they bought it outright. Declined offers are not seen as a "threat" where pending offers are ..

What is the benefit of auto decline other than the initial buyer gets an immediate 2nd chance? Chances are if they re being auto declined you're too far apart anyway
    imageimage
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    dupe
    imageimage
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I probably auto delete 15 messages a day from them from my phone which lists mail from both email accts.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am no eBay fan, and no offence, but if you were willing to accept a lower price you should have put that price in. Seems kind of silly to complain about it after the fact.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the low ball bids I have seen auto rejected I really don't care about knowing how close they were. They did not want to pay the money anyhow, so I have no use for them (they are a zero player even though ebay counts their visits). If they did not meet my minimum, it does not really matter to me what they bid. Some of them will put in three progressively higher bids to try to snag it at a really cheap price and still fail (won't pay the money). Just Tire Kickers. Lets say retail is 350 and I will take a minimum of 200. I may set it to reject buyers below 200 (minimal cost +), auto accept buyers at 275 or higher, and let me consider the offer (or make a counter offer) in the area in between. The buyer who will offer a fair price that affords me a decent profit will get the coin, the low ball buyers are rejected just like I send them away at shows.

Consequently, I give the minimum reject cutoff lots of thought. If you really want to give a coin away list it fixed price at $5 over bid or for that matter start it in an auction at say bid less 5% or even 1c below bid. If no action, it means they are broke or won't pay the money. I may list 5 pieces in auction format like this and at least one will usually sell. If none, its time to pack up, go home, and come back another time.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file