Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another US Mint survey - 2015 gold UHR walking liberty

1- The United States Mint is considering producing a new 24 Karat Ultra High Relief Gold Coin in 2015. This coin would have a more modernized rendition of Walking Liberty on the obverse face with a completely redesigned Eagle on the back (reverse).

The coin will be 24 karat gold in a $20 denomination with an Ultra High Relief Finish. The Ultra High Relief design is double the thickness of other coins. The coin would be minted at West Point and feature a W-Mint mark.

If developed, a 2015 24 karat Gold Ultra High Relief Coin would be comparable to the 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin, in that it would also be one troy ounce.

The price for this coin will be approximately $1,725.

Note: Pricing for gold coin products is tied to the market price for one ounce of gold and can vary dependent upon changes in the market value.
How appealing would the 24 Karat Ultra High Relief Gold Coin be to you?

Comments

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    The line is already forming at the 2015 ANA convention centerimage
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if your email is not in the link && if there is no "special code" in the url

I'd appreciate it if you post the link to the survey.

I did not receive it and would like to respond.

Here is the essence of the response:
    the CCAC meeting that approved the idea of a 2015 UHR indicated that it would be or should be a totally new design. The idea was the 2009 UHR was to re-create what was not able to be created then, and the 2015 UHR was to fulfill former Director Moy's dream of ushering in a new era of artistic design. The re-use of the walking liberty design is just another sign that the mint's artists are not up to the task of creating new and compelling designs. If a re-work of the walking liberty design, or any other previously used design for that matter, is re-used, then my recommendation is to not make a 2015 UHR.

This type of re-hash is one reason why I'm so pessimistic on the saintguru thread about them making new designs.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell, why not issue the entire US type set design catalog from 1793 to present as virtually perfect high relief .999 gold coins?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pump and dump... image

Hoard the keys.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should make them, but only if they guarantee they will produce at least 250,000 available on Day 1. I also think they should laser etch the order in which the coin was struck. All coins with strike numbers below 1,000 should be auctioned with the difference between issue price and sales price donated to the Smithsonian.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was enthusiastic about the gold Kennedy half dollar, because that piece was from my young days as a collector. I have no similar passion for other designs in gold that were not initially issued in that metal. In fact, I'm getting tired of use of retro designs that are merely issued to get the collectors' money. You can count me out on extending this series in my collection
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    " This coin would have a more modernized rendition of Walking Liberty on the obverse face with a completely redesigned Eagle on the back (reverse)." Sounds like a high relief version of the Gold American Eagle; no thanks.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they want to usher in a new era of artistic design, they can start with circulating coinage. A one-off UHR coin will just be another flash-in-the-pan-get-rich-quick-flip-it-if-you-can scheme.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm getting tired of use of retro designs that are merely issued to get the collectors' money. >>

Are they just to get collectors money or are they also trying to satisfy collector demand?

It seems like many collectors prefer the classic designs.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds appealing~If nothing else, it will at least outshine the Kennedy half and put to rest those ridiculous comparisons.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Not sure I would buy another walking liberty in gold. Now if they made the ASE is an ultra high relief in silver and half the current size like the 2009 UHR I would buy. These gold issues are just too expensive to keep buying for me. I almost wish gold would go down to $800 an ounce. The metals market seem to be heading downwards now. Gold at $1k an ounce could happen.

The re-use of the walking liberty design is just another sign that the mint's artists are not up to the task of creating new and compelling designs. If a re-work of the walking liberty design, or any other previously used design for that matter, is re-used, then my recommendation is to not make a 2015 UHR.

The 2014 Platinum Proof Design of a young liberty (child) carrying a torch if very uninspiring to me, unlike the 2013 platinum proof design which has some merit which I am proud to have in my collection.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's wrong with the original design? Why modify it? I think the eagle on the Walker is the best the Mint has ever done. I'm a big fan of the Buffalo gold and would love to see a Walking Liberty bullion coin in it's original rendition and maybe some smaller (i.e more affordable) sizes than one ounce like they did with the Buff gold in 2008.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The 2015 gold UHR coin will be produced according to the mint website.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hell, why not issue the entire US type set design catalog from 1793 to present as virtually perfect high relief .999 gold coins? >>

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• According to US Mint 2015 product schedule it's a possibility along with Silver "High Relief Medal"

See last 2 list entries

2015 High Relief 24K Gold Coin TBD
    2015 High Relief Silver Medal TBD
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    The 2009 Ultra High Relief pieces did well for me -- used the profits to help pay off a student loan for one of
    my daughters-in-law. So I am definitely in for another one. Go, Mint, Go!!!
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Just clicked the link -- there are 128 items in that list!!! Does that seem really excessive to anyone else? image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would favor truly artistic strikes - such as UHR - of these older designs...I do not care for the trashy fare that has been the mints production for the most part. The U.S. Mint does not produce much coinage that is truly artistic and beautiful...Cheers, RickO
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all comes down to execution. If they can make a high relief version of the design that would convince that that Weinman would have done it that way had he been green-lighted for an ultra-high relief design, I'm in.
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pump and dump... image >>

Ain't that the truth.image
    This stuff is 'junque'---might as well buy old Franklin Mint items.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • I would much rather see a UHR of this Patterns obverse ........

Gold Indian Pattern

Maybe with an early gold eagle reverse. image
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I would much rather see a UHR of this Patterns obverse ........ >>

I like this general idea, too. Rather than re-doing previous coin designs, I would like to see them pluck something from the patterns that never made it. There are some awesome patterns when you look back in history - great designs and great artistry. I've given up on them producing totally new designs that can pass muster...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file