Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wow - nice gift from a coin dealer!

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
Received this from a dealer that knows my interest in territorial/pioneer gold. image

With all the crap dealers get here, how about posting something nice that a dealer has done for you??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is nice.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given to me by now retired dealer.
    I bought two Booker T. Washington commems from him and he said that he thought he had some paperwork at home to go with these.
    There is some other correspondence too.

imageimage
    imageimage

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a cool gift
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With all the crap dealers get here, how about posting something nice that a dealer has done for you?? >>

When I was sick my local dealer brought me homemade chicken soup and even walked my dog in the rain.
    How's that? image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had one dealer call me when he had some nice stuff come in... even though it was not in my field of interest at the time... Also always had good prices...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a very good customer to a particular dealer out of Florida. Although he's never "given" me anything, after some harassment and nagging he did once agree to sell an extremely rare item out of his personal collection. I paid a premium for it, but there's virtually no way I would have owned one of these items without his cooperation. For that, I'm very thankful.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are great pieces of history

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice stuff.

Well, i guess my dealers are just plain, well, cheap!
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparky64, I probably know the family of the person who received that letter/coins with the B.T. Washington graphics on the envelope, which was addressed to Penfield, New York. My hometown was originally (mid 1800's) part of Penfield. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most recent was njcoincrank taking the time to talk with my 13yo son, one on one, at a recent PCGS Vegas Show.

Priceless.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an urge to go down to 115 N.11th street and snap a photo now. I wonder what's there now.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have an urge to go down to 115 N.11th street and snap a photo now. I wonder what's there now. >>

Here you go.

Sorry, link is now fixed.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link don't work.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    115 N. 11th street, St. Louis, MO

It is just a city downtown business district with large modern office buildings.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    Lakes, nice item. Sounds like something Mr. Shamhart would do.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats cool
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a dealer include a raw circulated Buffalo nickel which I thought was fun.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like a camo CRO baseball cap for Christmas. It's never too early JA! image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like a camo CRO baseball cap for Christmas. It's never too early JA!

Read that as cameo - it got my interest. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd like a camo CRO baseball cap for Christmas. It's never too early JA! image >>

To vanish on the brouse floor wouldn't the camo color pattern need to be in shades of pizza sauce & mustard imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Received this from a dealer that knows my interest in territorial/pioneer gold. image

With all the crap dealers get here, how about posting something nice that a dealer has done for you??

image >>

That is way beyond cool!! The addressee was Virgil M. Brand a fairly well-known dealer and numismatist of his time. Q. D. B. even wrote a book about him.

I once got a price list from Larry Briggs of seated and bust coins. I set it aside for over a year and then decided that I would call Mr. Briggs to see if he still had a certain liberty seated half dollar that I needed for my set. (An 1872-CC in vf/xf condition). A woman answers the phone (His wife or secretary, perhaps?). I inquire about the coin and ask her if it was still available and if it was still the same price. She said yes sit is still available but the price had changed. I thought Oh, well. She then informs me that the coin is on sale at a 10% discount! Need less to say, I was very happy with the outcome. He did not have to do this, or even could have increased the price a bit and I still would have bought it!

Bob

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most important thing a dealer ever gave me was his trust. He would pull me behind the counter to help when it was busy. It made me feel special. He would also put me in the back of the shop to sort out new collections that had came in. He gave me first shot at some really cool coins for helping. I'll never forget the guy and his kindness.
    Larry

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Very nice gift. And surprising Virgil kept the postcard.

Cancelled One Cent stamps from 1910 are also very cool image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file