Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is The Twenty Cent Piece (Double Dime) The "Red Headed Stepchild" Of Numismatics? Post You

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
This short series didn't seem popular in the day, and not much now. I actually like them and especially that eagle on the back. I saw this coin on a dealers website a while back that said sold. I thought heck, I would have bought that as I really like the look. I then seen it on another dealers website for a touch less so I did buy it.

I won't include any adjectives concerning the coin as no doubt someone will come in here and try and correct me.I will just say this is my kinda coin. The image depicts basically a straight on look and becomes quite lively when rotated in the light. Go ahead and post yours if you feel like it.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always liked the reverse eagle.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I like them as well, but I have seen them (raw) mixed in with a group of seated 25c. I am sure there was confusion at the time, and I can see why they were not popular at the time they circulated. I'm sure plenty of people mixed them up with quarters.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a set, minus the 1875-P in Mint State. I've been looking for that for over a year with no results. Here my favorite, and 1876-P in MS-65.

imageimage

And if you want to see the rest ...

double dime link
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are interesting but certainly appreciated less than other series. I'd call the 3 cent nickel the red headed stepchild, IMO.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like them as well, but I have seen them (raw) mixed in with a group of seated 25c. I am sure there was confusion at the time, and I can see why they were not popular at the time they circulated. I'm sure plenty of people mixed them up with quarters. >>

The SBA of the time
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They definitely don't seem very popular but I like them as well.
    Nice coins posted by stman and BillJones!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been meaning to add one to my collection..... need to focus a bit more on that .... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I love that old crusty look on stmans 20 center. Nice coin.

Great set of double dimes Bill, While they are all nice coins, the 76'es MS and PR are both superb.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah ... I kinda like the series. Here is one of my favorites ...

Close-up images can be found here.

Edited to add ... I love stman's 1875-P!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like them as well, but I have seen them (raw) mixed in with a group of seated 25c. I am sure there was confusion at the time, and I can see why they were not popular at the time they circulated. I'm sure plenty of people mixed them up with quarters. >>

I am in the investment business.
    Recently, a client asked to Me to help her sell a hoard of old coins given to her my her late father 20 years earlier. These had been boxed ever since. The valuation (done by a professional dealer at the time) included a seated quarter. In reality, there was no seated quarter at all, but there was one 20 cent piece.

Scary!!
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've bought several in the last 6 months which were listed as seated quarters. I'm not complaining though.image
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    I need one of these for my MS/PF registry set, but all I ever see are the 1875-S. I figure if I am going to drop that sort of loot on a single coin (even the 75-S is expensive at the grade I want), I'd prefer it not be the most common example.
  • Options

<< <i>I need one of these for my MS/PF registry set, but all I ever see are the 1875-S. I figure if I am going to drop that sort of loot on a single coin (even the 75-S is expensive at the grade I want), I'd prefer it not be the most common example. >>

The next most common is the 1875-CC. You can get those in Mint State, but a lot of them are weakly struck in the area of "LIBERTY" on the obverse and the left wing of the eagle in the reverse. 1876-P with an enticing mintage of 15,900, which includes 1,500 Proofs. You can find one of those with some patience. The 1875-P is surprising hard to find. The Proof mintage was the highest in the series, said to be over 2,700, but most of them were melted.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP's coin...perfect grey dirt look ! I would like to see a type set made entirely of coins with this look...
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine. The previous owner had bought it from Mark Feld. It has really nice iridescent color when tilted in the light.

NGC AU-53, CAC, old fatty holder
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I need one of these for my MS/PF registry set, but all I ever see are the 1875-S. I figure if I am going to drop that sort of loot on a single coin (even the 75-S is expensive at the grade I want), I'd prefer it not be the most common example. >>

An 1877 or 1878 proof might be a good catch for your registry set.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

An 1877 or 1878 proof might be a good catch for your registry set. >>

The 1878 is easier of the two. The 1877 is the second scarcest date and mint combination in the series with the 1876-CC coming in first, of course. A couple hundred of the 1877 Proofs went unsold and were melted along with unknown numbers of 1878s and other dates.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's mine. The previous owner had bought it from Mark Feld. It has really nice iridescent color when tilted in the light.

NGC AU-53, CAC, old fatty holder >>

A very nice coin.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 'em - just never thought of doing a set.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    I like BillJones' set. While I've like the 20c for a long time, I've never thought of doing a set, but the idea is appealing. I've always wanted an 1877 and an 1878 proof.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I always wanted one when I learned of them in the hobby. Still havnt added one yet.
    What got me about those too was the sort of curve they were graded on. Like a curve
    that resembled a half moon or something.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What got me about those too was the sort of curve they were graded on. Like a curve
    that resembled a half moon or something. >>

What do you mean by grading on a curve?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Finest known 1876 20¢ business strike, PCGS MS67 CAC.
    For years this was the pop 1/0, now there are two more 67's at PCGS,
    but this remains the superior specimen of all.

imageimage

Same coin, normal lighting, slab images, cropped ...

imageimage
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some sweet coins in this thread.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did do a set excepting for the 1876-CC. They are in the bank and i cannot post images at this time. I have one of the very few circulated 1878 proofs.

Bob
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey more interest than I would have thought, and some nice coins posted. Thanks all, and a special thanks to astrorat for sharing his book on these coins online with a link in his Sig line.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    Here's one I just got back from NGC/sold this week. One of the most attractive 20c I've been able to find, I like them like this when they are toned, lustrous and not dipped out. NGC MS63

imageimage
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    p35

imageimage
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file