Home U.S. Coin Forum

1807 SS CBH imaged by Lance

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know this coin has some issues and is in a details holder.
The hen pecks on the portrait are what they are.
I believe they are old to the coin and in later years someone scratched the field in front of the portrait.
It is a shame, but this is still an 07 SS that has a lot of meat on her bones.
What are your thoughts?
I am happy owning this coin even with her issues.
07 SS's are not very common with this much detail.
Thanks Lance for the great job of showing it as it really looks in hand.
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    LOTS of character - heck, it's over 200 years old and it has a real beauty to it. Thanks for sharing it!

zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I recall when you bought this O-113a. Of course you know I have a soft spot for the 1807 CBH. I think it looks decent and much better than you showed it years ago assuming it's the same one. On second thought I believe the one years ago was (gasp) raw. So you must have sent it in for the details holder. Or, I'm full of it and don't have a clue what I speak of. image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I recall when you bought this O-113a. Of course you know I have a soft spot for the 1807 CBH. I think it looks decent and much better than you showed it years ago assuming it's the same one. On second thought I believe the one years ago was (gasp) raw. So you must have sent it in for the details holder. Or, I'm full of it and don't have a clue what I speak of. image >>

You are one smart man stman.
    Yes it is the same coin. You have a memory like an elephant. I bet you even remember the price I paid for it. image
    The price was really good and even with the details I was happy with it.
    I had to send in some coins with my membership coupon and figured what the heck.

Something about an 07 SS.
    Lance does take better pics then me. You should see me trying to hold the camera steady and the light in my other hand....
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zap1111 stole my line. It's got character ! image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• The coin is very nice for what it is. One with that much detail and no problems would cost crazy money.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com

<< <i>The coin is very nice for what it is. One with that much detail and no problems would cost crazy money. >>

You sure got that right Dave.
    Aside from the investors and the slab purists, this is a real collectors coin.
    A collector, like myself, who loves to study numismatics and appreciates the working at our early mint can spend quite a while and find a lot of satisfaction looking at this one with a nice glass. The stars and cracks are amazing.
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those sort of old pecks and scrapes really don't bother me a ton....there are other qualities on that coin that make up for the scuffs, like you said the strike is
    really nice for a small stars, and the color looks nice too image
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the image by Lance......those "craters' have re-toned nicely from the 1800's I'd say.
    Coin has character written all over it.
    SS = Small size, right?
    Very cool coin, John.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin. Those cracks are still very evident, along with some faint clashing. I like it.
    I brake for ear bars.

<< <i>SS = Small size, right? >>

Small stars variety of the four die-pairings for the 1807 CBH. Overton 113a.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Small stars variety of the four die-pairings for the 1807 CBH. Overton 103a. >>

Thanks stman....always learning on this forum.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Just to fix the typo: O.113a
    Lance.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just to fix the typo: O.113a
    Lance. >>

Thanks. image That is what I meant. I'll go edit.

<< <i>Love the image by Lance......those "craters' have re-toned nicely from the 1800's I'd say.
    Coin has character written all over it.
    SS = Small size, right?
    Very cool coin, John. >>

Hey GB
    Some really smart guys answered this before me.
    The 1807 CBH has just 4 major varieties:
    The Large Stars
    The Small Stars
    Two varieties of the 5 over inverted 5 (in 50C).

Another neat feature in the SS is the series of parallel lines in the bases of the letters in LIBERTY and EPU

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file