Home U.S. Coin Forum

Help * Seated Lib 50c Guys , 1857-S Large S ??

My old Breen Cat. says 1857-S Large S Rare , Is this the Large S ? Is Rare wishful thinking ? Thanks for any help .... Ron Tradecoin

[URL=http://s254.photobucket.com/user/tradecoin/media/P1140625_zpsabae406d.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s254.photobucket.com/user/tradecoin/media/P1140632_zpsc6d4dd2e.jpg.html]image[/URL]
Viet Nam Vet 66/67.
Retired Coin Shop Owner .
Still Collecting
Love my Grandkids and my German Shepherd Dogs . Kind of like my wifes Cat.

Comments

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the smaller of the two sizes. I also think that Breen has overstated the rarity of the Large S, as is often the case. It is perhaps slightly scarcer than the medium "S". I am not aware of anyone paying a premium for mintmark size on this date. Have a look at this link also.

1857-S half dollars
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honest wear but no premium.
  • TRADECOINTRADECOIN Posts: 466 ✭✭
    Thanks Guys
    Viet Nam Vet 66/67.
    Retired Coin Shop Owner .
    Still Collecting
    Love my Grandkids and my German Shepherd Dogs . Kind of like my wifes Cat.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliasberg had one of each variety. Both currently residing in MS67 holders. I think the nicer of the two is the medium S (so far it's the only stickered 67).
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought he only had a F15, no?
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought he only had a F15, no? >>

You are correct. And your 52-0 half in AU53 is killer. Strike and overall look is more like an unc coin.

Sorry, I was confusing his pair of gem 1859-s halves with the 57-s. But there are some nice photos of these coins to see what a superb gem No Motto S mint seated half should look like. I believe the best 1857-s is the PCGS MS66 Gardner coin that just sold at auction. I was bidding on that coin when it was last available raw (Queller?) and just didn't see it as more than a 65+ at that time. That was a nice coup for team Gene.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought he only had a F15, no? >>

Yes, I was at the sale and this was one of the last seated liberty halves I needed for my set. I went to the sale specifically for this coin! I was an underbidder on this coin. I gave it up because I thought it was overgraded. It was no better than a vg at best, in mho, and it went for way too much money. I am glad I got outbid as I bought an XF 1857-s sometime later that I am very pleased with. As much as I wanted an Eliasberg coin, I still did not need to way overpay for one. I wound up not buying anything, but did not walk away disappointed. Just being there was a worthwhile experience.

Bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file