Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

It's too bad this 960 Reis is so nicely struck...

Just recieved this beautiful 960 !

Although it's struck over an Argentinian Sunface 8R, there is only the very slightest trace of the sun rays visible. Fortunately there is a nice bit of the
clasped hands and cap to enjoy, and it's also my first Sunface overstrike on an Imperial era 960, which completes my basic type set of sunface overstrikes,
I now have examples of on all three of the main types of 960 reis....The colonial, the United Kingdom and Empire ( the hardest to find of the three..) image

Comments

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Without your explanation this is an overstruck, I would never guessed that, beautifull struck coin , congrats.
    thanks for sharing, jayPem.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin, I like it!
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Without your explanation this is an overstruck, I would never guessed that, beautifull struck coin , congrats.
    thanks for sharing, jayPem. >>

There is really only a bit of the design left, but it's pretty clear...the horizontal lines above 960 with a bit of the cap...

Here's an example with a nice amount of detail left...

And here's a reverso...
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You seem to have good luck finding great examples

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    That's a neat coin. Congratulations on completing your type set.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You seem to have good luck finding great examples >>

Thanks !
    From what i understand, these might not be as scarce as it sometimes seems...it may be that there are more Sunface 960 overstrikes remaining than
    Argentina Sunface 8 R's !

They are very popular with Brazilian collectors, some of whom collect them by date/mm....although not all date/mm's are known to exist.

I have bought quite a few from a collector in Brazil...which was an adventure in it's own right image