Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Selling: The "King" of the Clad Quarter Series... 1969-P (PCGS-MS67) - SOLD

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
Please PM me if you are interested in the coin.

Coin is subject to prior sale.

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin,

What makes the '69 the "King" of the clad series?

I understand what makes the '69 Roosie so difficult, + the fact of putting any late '60's/early '70's clad coin in a PCGS 67 holder, but was wondering if you would be willing to share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    There are only 3 69s graded at MS67 so I'm guessing that's why he called it the king. Next closet for clads in the 60s is the 65 with 21 ms67 examples graded. So the 1969 is a tough date/mint.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Stooge. Here is my commentary that I wrote on this date for Coinfacts a few years ago:

"I have personally been working diligently to locate the highest quality clad quarters (1965-1998) since around 1983. Twenty-seven years of "hunting" gives one a pretty good idea which coins are the very toughest to locate in the series in superb gem MS67 quality. The 1969-P ranks among the top three toughest dates in the entire series to obtain in MS67 grade. Everything that could possibly go wrong in your hunt for a superb gem is encountered when you go after this one! Badly scuffed surfaces, poor luster, weak strikes... you name it. I believe I have been through thousands upon thousands of 1969-P coins over the past (3) decades, including huge quantities of fresh U.S. Mint sets and original rolls. You begin to realize just how frustrating a search for an MS67 specimen is after you finish carefully screening a couple hundred fresh 1969 Mint Sets and realize the nicest couple of 1969-P quarters you located might grade MS65 at best! Obtaining fresh material to search is also becoming harder and harder. It wasn't that difficult to get your hands on 250 or 500 fresh 1969 Mint Sets back in the 1980's. Such is certainly not the case in 2010; a decent percentage of the material has been searched already or has been somewhat negatively affected by sitting in the govt. plastic for 40+ years (which has not served the coins well). In my opinion, the 1969-P quarter has a fantastic future for gem and better quality specimens."

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin,

That is one incredible explanation.

I can only imagine what these coins looked like when they were freshly minted Mint sets when a customer received them in the mail in 1969 and cracked them open compared to opening a sealed box of say 5 sets that have been bought and sold a handful of times over 40+ years before some cracked them open. I'm sure they are still very nice, but not as nice as they could have been in 1969. This would hold true to any year I guess.

Thanks again!

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about posting a photo of the coin? I would love to see the photo and compare the 1969 P, MS to the photo of Wondercoin's gorgeous 1965 quarter that he has s j own us before.
  • Options
    Thanks Paul!

ACR: Keep in mind, that the slight differences between the 69-P and 71-P pop are really which way a single coin graded this past week when I submitted a spectacular 71-P and 69-P coin. The 69-P coin graded MS67 (offering it for sale here) while the 71-P graded MS66+. The 71-P is an MS67 in my book so PCGS will see it again soon. I am a huge fan of both the 69-P and 71-P as you are.

SanctionII... I am not sure PCGS grabbed a pic of the coin while they had the chance. I will find out next week. At some point, I need to let PCGS photo the pop 1/0 MS67+ of this date for Coinfacts.

Wondercoin

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    WC- did that one come from a mint set?
  • Options
    Here is the pic of the latest MS67 1969-P quarter. I am not sure of the origin of this particular coin. I believe that earlier in the year one of the top 10 clad quarter registry collectors sent me a small group of very high 1969-P quarters and asked if I could try to get one or more of them in an MS67 holder for his personal collection. I did and he then decided we should sell it off as he had a few things come up where he needed the money. Wondercoin

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!