Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New Canadian dollars

1950 PCGS MS65 the obverse is mostly white, the reverse is the eye candy. Also MS 63 1965 type one. Again the reverse is the best but the obverse toning isn't bad on this one. These are the ebay photos. I'll have them imaged professionally.

imageimage
National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These coins are very nicely designed and seem to tone very well. Any reason as to why they tend to be colorful?
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I really don't know why the tone so pretty sometimes. I know someone who might have an idea if I can get a hold of him I'll see what he says. Though I can't be positive I suspect the 1950 is very lustrous which is hard to show sometimes on Canadian dollars. I'll have it in a few days.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These coins are very nicely designed and seem to tone very well. Any reason as to why they tend to be colorful? >>

IMHO, I think there are two reasons:
    - 80% silver content
    - many were placed in felt lined packaging as gifts and/or year sets or stored in the clamshell holders from the 1970's to help tone
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the basic Canadian 80% silver dollar / coin does not tone well on its own.
    it is usually some "outside" influence which will trigger more pronounced toning.
    like the felt in the containers or boxes (clam-shells) some chemical, or the prolonged exposure to light and environment, both ends of some rolls being exposed.
    the best examples are the 1972 and 1973 50% silver dollars.
    Personally I do not believe that excessive rainbow toning is caused naturally... I suspect there is always some "help" in form of many avenues...( boiled eggs, solphur, baking, baked potatoes, raw oak branches, etc.. etc
    I have a silver dollar, will post images tomorrow, where the chemicals in clear tape caused rainbow toning. BUT the section where the tape was, is absolutely clear and not affected. (Lack of oxygen???)
    I love natural toning and your looks like it is.
    just for info, do you have images before it was slabbed?
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    The reverse of the 1965 Dollar is great , satiny gold colours with lustrous.
    I have some modern toned silver coins of 1963 , ill share images later
    as promised, here is the 1964 coin which had a tape attached to it directly. the coin itself is either a Specimen or a ProofLike coin. am not sure.
    WHAT would you fellows do with it? it looks funny, as the un-affected section are clean white.

the 1964 dollar pictured is interesting... These usually look as if they were dropped down a garbage disposal. I do like the satin look of some that surface.

What to do with this one? I would take a good look with a stronger loupe or even a microscope to see if there is evidence of tape on the coin. If not, I would leave it as is.

Not sure this will be a very popular response...

NIce color on that 64. Here is the 1950 reverse, my photo. Same coin as the first photo in the thread which was an ebay pic. I was right though it is very lustrous in hand.

• zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭

<< <i>NIce color on that 64. Here is the 1950 reverse, my photo. Same coin as the first photo in the thread which was an ebay pic. I was right though it is very lustrous in hand. >>

Gorgeous !!!!! image
  • I have a Canadian dollar that looks something like that color-wise. I don't know enough about chemistry, but it's really pretty!
    Here's a shot of my 1967 dollar. It's in a 63 holder though I think it should be a 64. Probably not worth resubmitting the cost spread between the two grades isn't that great.

there are way too many 1967 dollars in very high grades around. unless you have one which will grade 66 or better, I think it is not worth the cost of grading. Or, of course if you have the "diving goose". that is worth it in any grade.
    And , the latest find with the 67s: a few with small beads / obverse, have been discovered.
    One would think a 1967 dollar in MS65 would still be worth grading

Yes, definitely ..IF you are sure it will grade a 65.
    if it comes back a 64 it will not be so interesting, as the monetary value is only a fraction of that of a 65.
    and please do not forget, Canadian TPG's do very seldom, if at all, consider Eye appeal.
    New Toner, white obverse.

Duplicate post.