Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any Forum Member(s) Collect MODERN Canadian Halves?

Like U.S. halves, they seem relegated to just Mint/Proof/Special sets and rolls from the Mint - - are ANY Canadian halves released for circulation anymore these days?

Since my youth, I have collected U.S. & Canadian coins from circulation. More recently, I have traded new U.S. for new Canadian with a few trading partners.

I have tried to stay current with each year's coins, but haven't had any luck with Canadian Halves for pretty much the last decade.

I'd like to continue putting together a collection that includes up-to-date U.S. & Canadian halves, but am getting disillusioned with both.

On the one hand, that little voice in my head is telling me that I'm wasting time & money trying to find & pay a premium for non-circulating modern clad c!#p each year, and would be better rewarded going after a few remaining holes in my collection from back in the silver days. But that other voice in my head says "you've gone this far, and just need to pick up a few each year going forward... why stop now?"

Besides having to rid myself of these voices in my head, what would fellow-collectors' recommendations be regarding how to approach halves going forward?

- - Daveimage

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I have one fairly modern Canadian half. It's in an ICCS holder 1965 PL65 with pretty toning. I'm working on dollars, like the half dollars there are a zillion kinds. image Good luck with your collection. Maybe more experienced and patient folks here can give you some advice.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    DBMDBM Posts: 27 ✭✭
    No Canadian halves have been issued for circulation since 2002.
    For 2003 and 2004 no circulation strikes were available, these years halves come from sets only. Since 2005 the mint has been issuing business strike rolls for collectors.
    All of the modern halves, '68 and up, excepting the 2000p, which was part of a clock, are inexpensive and plentiful, an easy set to complete.
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    a Benefit for Canadians and the 50 cents .. parking meters think that they are loonies and many 'roll' collectors take advantage.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭
    DBM:

When you say "All of the modern halves, '68 and up, excepting the 2000p, which was part of a clock, are inexpensive and plentiful, an easy set to complete.", do you mean 1968 thru 2001, or do you mean even since they went non-circulating starting in 2002?

If the latter, any recommendations on the best place for a collector from the U.S. to go through to get those missing dates?

Right now, we're looking for the following (revised 7/23/14):
    1998 (1)
    2000w (1)
    2003p "old/younger" effigy (1)
    2003p "new/mature" effigy (1)
    2013 (1)
    2014 (2)

And we have the following extras:
    1994 (1)
    1995 (1)
    2001p (1)
    2002p "Jubilee" (1)

Thanks!

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a 2014 in a PCGS MS66 holder on eBay right now.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads-up! In general, I try to collect from circulation. If not available, I go after ones from rolls or bags or mint sets. But being that I started out as a kid filling holes in blue Whitman folders & never escalated from there, I don't go after any slabs, unfortunately..............

But thanks for the alert!

- - Daveimage