Home U.S. Coin Forum

1999-D connecticut quarter, beach find (copper?)

stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
i was metal detecting this morning on the beach (thought it might be good to try after the 4th) and i found this quarter:

imageimage

it's obviously corroded...but, it weighs 5.67 grams. hmmm.

i did not clean it...i just pulled it out of the sand.

thoughts?

Comments

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    ms66 ............................................................. courtesy of Accugrade.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are clad and yes copper is the major element in them. And if you think it's worth more than 25c your wrong.
  • Planchet error copper wash or copper migration
    Mark Anderson
  • Seen it a hundred times here. The salt water corrodes the clad layer and makes it appear as it came from the mint as copper. Just aint so, You can see the salt water etch under enough magnification. Found a dime last year, same thing. Agree with lindeDad, Its worth $.25
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, i didn't think it was worth more than 25c...i was just wondering about it because the clad layer is so evenly removed and the details in tact. i thought it was worth some discussion, but apparently not.
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been in the water so long the reverse design now looks like coral.
  • Have you ever seen weathered copper roofing or guttering? It tarnishes green like this.If a planchet spends to much time in the annealer it can cause the copper to migrate through the nickle to the surface .Copper on the surface would tarnish green.
    Mark Anderson
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typical salt water result on clad coins. Have seen them many times when metal detecting beaches..... Cheers, RickO
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Good info Coinstudy and RickO. Thanks.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • RonnyRonny Posts: 94

<< <i>i was metal detecting this morning on the beach (thought it might be good to try after the 4th) and i found this quarter:

imageimage

it's obviously corroded...but, it weighs 5.67 grams. hmmm.

i did not clean it...i just pulled it out of the sand.

thoughts? >>

Sweet!!! Never seen a copper quarter before.

Cheers, RonO

<< <i>Typical salt water result on clad coins. Have seen them many times when metal detecting beaches..... Cheers, RickO >>

+1

Cheers, RonO
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's PSD --

Post-Surfing Damage
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
    TTT

Cheers, RonO
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Typical salt water result on clad coins. Have seen them many times when metal detecting beaches..... Cheers, RickO >>

+1

Cheers, RonO >>

This

Cheers, BaleO

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Been in the water so long the reverse design now looks like coral. >>

That's funny. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • I do like the reverse as it looks like the trees around me that are finally starting to bloom even though it did snow north of us today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file