Home U.S. Coin Forum

1 Limit per person Kennedy Gold at ANA show ?

bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
Hearing a 1 per person limit at the ANA Chicago for the Kennedy Gold ,, A Dealer friend said..... Show leaders hoping to avoid the crowds , chaos from the Baltimore HOF coins and 2013 reverse proof Chicago show coin sales

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    Seems like that would just increase the lines.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems like that would just increase the lines.

-Paul >>

Can't confirm.... but also a limit per day sales. ....anyone hear otherwise
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter if the Mint doesn't enforce that limit. People will just get in line again and again...

That's what happened at Long Beach when they were selling the Baseball HOF half dollars. It was a limit of 5 per person, but that was seemingly only enforced on each transaction. The Mint employees didn't seem to care if people came back again to get another 5. I know of one person who told us that they their "limit" at least 10 times before the Mint sold out of them.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well i was going to go but i will just kick back and buy them on line. It's not that big of a deal i guess. image

Hoard the keys.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Waiting for official news of limits at show, or for that matter limits for the mintage in general

We don't even know if it will be the one month window, open sales format, or - a maximum mintage. All of this matters.
  • brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    just got hold with usmint rep, the email they recieved today said it's unlimited order.
    Open mintage - one month window?
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    1 more than I need
  • 410a410a Posts: 1,325
    CRYPTO 79..............image

This idea is worse than the baseball coins......fiasco
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hearing a 1 per person limit at the ANA Chicago for the Kennedy Gold ,, A Dealer friend said..... Show leaders hoping to avoid the crowds , chaos from the Baltimore HOF coins and 2013 reverse proof Chicago show coin sales >>

Huh?

The only way to "avoid the crowds, chaos" is to not allow the US Mint to have a table. Lowering (untraceable) order limits to 1 simply means that MORE folks will stand in line and then get back into line. Lines will actually be longer.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

-Paul >>

Can't confirm.... but also a limit per day sales. ....anyone hear otherwise >>

"Limit per Day" for the Mint (meaning "we'll only sell 10,000 today") or limit per customer which means that customers would have to identify themselves and have that information entered into a database which would make the purchase times even longer?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Well i was going to go but i will just kick back and buy them on line. It's not that big of a deal i guess. image >>

It will be if there is a production limit and the OTC Sales sell out.
    The possibility of NOT receiving your order gets amplified.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>CRYPTO 79..............image

This idea is worse than the baseball coins......fiasco >>

It just might be that way to some since the HOF Coins were oddly shaped and don't quite fit into any collection other than "1 of every commemorative produced since 1982".

The Kennedy's, on the other hand, will fit nicely into an existing DANSCO since they are the same size but with a different design. I expect that these will also be required for certain Kennedy Registry Sets like the 98-S SMS and 64 SMS Coins are.

Of course, there are some folks which do not collect Kennedy Half Dollars but I think that there are a lot more folks that do.

The name is LEE!
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    A mintage of about 500,000 for the Silver and 75,000 for the Gold ought to be right. Enough to go around for everyone;
    speculators, 1st Strikers, grandparents, hoarders, overseas JFK Lovers, everyone.

Does anyone even care about the clads? Not me. Make about 1.3 million of those.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck, I'd much rather be in line all day rather than enjoy the ANA. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool image… another line of guys waiting in line to go make a quick hundred dollars when they sell their coin to a guy waiting at a table for them, to come out of the line.

<< <i>

<< <i>

-Paul >>

Can't confirm.... but also a limit per day sales. ....anyone hear otherwise >>

"Limit per Day" for the Mint (meaning" we'll only sell 10,000 today) or limit per customer which means that customers would have to identify themselves and have that information entered into a database which would make the purchase times even longer? >>

sales limit for the day.. i.e. total available for sale say for Aug. 5
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>just got hold with usmint rep, the email they recieved today said it's unlimited order. >>

Unlimited at the ANA convention, or for general phone/internet orders?

<< <i>

<< <i>just got hold with usmint rep, the email they recieved today said it's unlimited order. >>

Unlimited at the ANA convention, or for general phone/internet orders? >>

online order
    waiting for official word on ANA sales, limits, etc.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope that the venue will have a place for a real long line. In Baltimore the line extended from mint counter to the stairway out in the entrance area.

If the one per day for customer rule is in effect, it will do two things. It will draw people away from the bourse which will not please the dealers, and it might result in broader distribution. The dealers who promote this stuff don't like broader distribution; they want to corner the market as much as possible. I remember one of them commenting to me years ago that he hated the five set per order rule that was instituted for the 1999 silver Proof sets. That resulted in higher buy prices according to him because the dealers had to buy more sets from the general public instead of buying them all from the mint and gaining control of the market.

Either way I guess we are stuck with this concept that mint will continue to release new coins at the major shows. If it limits the ability of collectors who don't or can't come to these shows access to buy the coins, it really stinks. image

Frankly this type of distribution is really starting to sour me on modern U.S. commemorative coins. I am mostly a "old coin" collector, but I have had an interest in the moderns. If this keeps up, I'm going to start living without them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 suits me just fine for now anyway

<< <i>

Unlimited at the ANA convention, or for general phone/internet orders? >>

Now this is truly funny since the US Mint "rep's" don't know a damned thing about what's going to happen until it actually happens since they are "actually" representatives of the Company Novitex (formerly known as Pitney-Bowes Government Services or PBGS) which has been authorized (until recently) to "distribute" U.S. Mint Products.

In other words, they are simply the US Mint's official retailer and as such know as much about the US Mint as the lady behind the counter knows about McDonalds.

They are not involved in policy or decision making at all other than reporting sales data back to the US Mint.

The name is LEE!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Were the HOF Gold and other items limited at the baltimore. I seem to recall they were. Without limits there would be chaos as the guy with the first mill could buy everything.
    I agree limits for those on line at the show, but one would be ridiculous. Maybe 3 or 5 would be more realistic.

A limit of one would just extend the line, with "everyone and their brother" - paid line sitters, creating chaos.

Three to Five for each person on line makes sense.

<< <i>Were the HOF Gold and other items limited at the baltimore. I seem to recall they were. Without limits there would be chaos as the guy with the first mill could buy everything. >>

Buying "limits" at coin shows are only "limited" to the number of times you are willing to stand in line.

Personally, I would much rather stand in line for two to three hours and actually receive what I bought than wait in the US Mints "virtual line" for as much as 6 hours (remember the 25th Anniversary Sets) only to have to wait another 2 months before I received anything if I receive anything at all.

Since I live "about $400 worth of R/T Air Fare and $200 worth of Hotel Rooms" away from the Chicago ANA Show, this entire scenario has me really nervous since no mintage limits have actually been published. If it turns out to be a 50,000 coin limit for the gold, then those that do not attend Chicago won't get their coins until November. Not that this is a big crisis or anything but depending upon where you fall on the list, you might not get anything at all such as those that ordered the 25th Anniversary SAE Sets.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

<< <i>Were the HOF Gold and other items limited at the baltimore. I seem to recall they were. Without limits there would be chaos as the guy with the first mill could buy everything. >>

Buying "limits" at coin shows are only "limited" to the number of times you are willing to stand in line.

Personally, I would much rather stand in line for two to three hours and actually receive what I bought than wait in the US Mints "virtual line" for as much as 6 hours (remember the 25th Anniversary Sets) only to have to wait another 2 months before I received anything if I receive anything at all.

Since I live "about $400 worth of R/T Air Fare and $200 worth of Hotel Rooms" away from the Chicago ANA Show, this entire scenario has me really nervous since no mintage limits have actually been published. If it turns out to be a 50,000 coin limit for the gold, then those that do not attend Chicago won't get their coins until November. Not that this is a big crisis or anything but depending upon where you fall on the list, you might not get anything at all such as those that ordered the 25th Anniversary SAE Sets. >>

at the show

well said I remember waiting for hours for the 25th sets....my dealer friend already has lined up his employees to get a Kennedy gold .. multiply by some of the 500 table holders a crowd mess in making.. my travel .... only 20 miles from the ANA show
    hopefully, there is some thought into how to process as many people as possible per hour through the line.

the makings of a chaotic situation in progress!

lets just solve this now.

everyone planning on attending gets one entry into the "lottery" for the opportunity to purchase the gold kennedy at the show. enter your name on a website - USM?

draw 10,000 names (1 per person/10,000 or whatever the limits will be) coins. If chosen, provide your CC before the show and it will be charged. Show up at the ANA show (anytime)to pick up your coin with proof of ID and CC used to purchase. Anyone not picking up coin will be refunded their purchase price.

no lines, no craziness, totally fair.
  • cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    If the mint set a release date a week ahead of the show, it seems like it would alleviate alot of headaches... dependent, of course, upon what the mintage limits might be.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY

<< <i>hopefully, there is some thought into how to process as many people as possible per hour through the line.

the makings of a chaotic situation in progress!

everyone planning on attending gets one entry into the "lottery" for the opportunity to purchase the gold kennedy at the show. enter your name on a website - USM?

draw 10,000 names (1 per person/10,000 or whatever the limits will be) coins. If chosen, provide your CC before the show and it will be charged. Show up at the ANA show (anytime)to pick up your coin with proof of ID and CC used to purchase. Anyone not picking up coin will be refunded their purchase price.

no lines, no craziness, totally fair. >>

much too rational.. how about price estimates ? mine is low $ 1,400s
    The lottery approach----------

no lines, no craziness, totally fair.

LETS HOPE THE USM TAKES TIME TO READ
    Some HOF collectors still waiting fro their coins 3 months after issue .. The MINT needs to get the Kennedy coin debut ,, right.... not be looked at as an extension of coin dealers to give away high demand coins to dealers
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Online limit of 5 per household...no production limits mentioned
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Online limit of 5 per household...no production limits mentioned >>

Here's the press release. (It was released about an hour ago...)

United States Mint Announces Release of Kennedy Half-Dollar Coin 50th Anniversary Products

No he couldn't unless he had a "black" (a card that is beyond gold or platinum reserved for OPEC princes and the like) American Express card that had no limits, or could write a check for untold millions of dollars. I was not aware of any limits at the Baltimore show, but then I didn't stand in line to find out if that was the case.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

<< <i>

United States Mint Announces Release of Kennedy Half-Dollar Coin 50th Anniversary Products >>

Well that setlles it.

The Gold Kennedy will sell out within 3 days and those that order it online via the US Mints web site will be given fair and equal access to "ordering" their 5.

Whether or not they actually receive their 5 falls under some other obscure US Mint policy.

The name is LEE!
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

United States Mint Announces Release of Kennedy Half-Dollar Coin 50th Anniversary Products >>

Well that setlles it.

The Gold Kennedy will sell out within 3 days and those that order it online via the US Mints web site will be given fair and equal access to "ordering" their 5.

Whether or not they actually receive their 5 falls under some other obscure US Mint policy. >>

I haven't seen any mintage limits anywhere.

This is going to be a mint-to-demand product, just like all the rest of the Mint initiated special sets since 2012. If there were going to be a specified mintage, we'd have seen it by now.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw two families of 7 each right in front of us in Rosemont last year. They each picked up 21 coins as the limit was 3 each OR 42 in total.

That was ridiculous as the Mint was not verifying if the kids were members of each family as they were definitely NOT.

There should be a limit per FAMILY on top of the limit per person.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    well, look like only dealer and those planning attend ANA coin will make profit from these coins. I just don't get, base on gold and silver that mint to demand last 2 years, the mintage has not increase at all.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well that setlles it.

Whether or not they actually receive their 5 falls under some other obscure US Mint policy. >>

How do you figure it will sell out when there is ZERO limit on the mintage mentionedimage
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The Mint won't set a mintage limit on a cash cow like these coins. It will really surprise me if they do.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nice that the Mint has interesting offerings at these coins shows. I wonder how popular the Kennedy will be.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Will these start selling at noon EST (11am) in Chicago?
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will these start selling at noon EST (11am) in Chicago? >>

From the Mint link posted above that would be a yes for the 2 coin set and, since almost every other Mint item has gone on sale at noon, I would think it would be the same for all
    What the mint should do is to offer the coins on-line, with ordering limits, two weeks before they offer them at a show. That way everyone, who really wants a coin, would have a chance to place an order before the show sales.

As for Baltimore, the supply seemed to be infinite. After the coins sold out on the first day, I thought that would be the end of it, but it wasn't. The next day the line formed again and more coins were sold up through at least Saturday. The net result was that those ordered on-line have had to wait at least a couple months for delivery.
  • What the mint should do is to offer the coins on-line, with ordering limits, two weeks before they offer them at a show. That way everyone, who really wants a coin, would have a chance to place an order before the show sales.

It would still take weeks or months to get them. In hand is what people want.

<< <i>What the mint should do is to offer the coins on-line, with ordering limits, two weeks before they offer them at a show. That way everyone, who really wants a coin, would have a chance to place an order before the show sales.

It would still take weeks or months to get them. In hand is what people want. >>

No it won't if it were done fairly. At the Baltimore show a lot of the coins that were sold there should have been held back and shipped to the people who ordered on-line the first week. There could have been sales on Thursday, and when that supply was gone, that should have been it, but it wasn't. The mint sells brought in more coins and sold them at least through Saturday.

<< <i>

<< <i>What the mint should do is to offer the coins on-line, with ordering limits, two weeks before they offer them at a show. That way everyone, who really wants a coin, would have a chance to place an order before the show sales.

It would still take weeks or months to get them. In hand is what people want. >>

No it won't if it were done fairly. At the Baltimore show a lot of the coins that were sold there should have been held back and shipped to the people who ordered on-line the first week. There could have sales on Thursday, and when that supply was gone, that should have been it, but it wasn't. The mint sells brought in more coins and sold them at least through Saturday. >>

Mint caters, gives favor to coin dealers .. Why is the Mint still shipping HOF coins 3 months after launch ??....
    many a hot coin gets placed in TPG holders the same week coins go on sale ...sometimes the next day ... any collectors recently get a hot coin delivered that quickly ?
    same will be for the kennedy gold at the ANA show, where dealers and their reps will snare most of the of the coins
  • TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    Online limit of 5 per household

So if the mint is setting a limit of (5) per household online, does this mean that you can buy (5) at the ANA show or is the limit going to be (1) per person ?

I ask as I need (4) for my boys collections and really don't want to wait 3-4 months to get them from the online store.

Thanks in advance,

JD

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

without any other confirmed source info -

IMO you would be able to buy 5 gold at the show.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file