Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What is/was the earliest known proof coin?

I see there is one from 1699 for an English monarch. Does anyone know what the earliest proof strike coin was? Thanks
National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proofs of some Cromwell denominations, if not all, may exist. However, there may be a question as to whether they would be the oldest given the history of this series.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The earliest I have is:

Charles II - c.1665-1670, NGC PF58, P-404, Very Scarce. Engraved by Roettier, the reverse legend "I claim the four seas" was removed from the currency issues as it was considered that it would be provocative to the French. Although listed by NGC as 1670, these were likely minted closer to 1665.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would the French piefort coins be considered proof? Not an expert on these but think there are some from the 14th Century. Some of the Roman multi-solidus multiple miliarense and larger bronzes were special issues with multiple strikes and planchet evidently specially selected. Again, confess to not being an expert in these either....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    With regard to hammered coins, aren't there those which the British refer to as "fine work".
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff that's a cool looking piece.