Home U.S. Coin Forum

Chop marks on coins other than Trade Dollars

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does PCGS grade & encapsulate coins with the chop mark designation other than Trade Dollars?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Short answer: No. Long answer: No.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Short answer: No. Long answer: No. >>

yet? image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• No, but I think it would be easy to start. In particular there are a good amount of Seated halves out there with chops.
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Yes, go to the Heritage site and search "PCGS chop" image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    The problem is they need a new serial number and to go to the hassle of up dating all of their systems I suspect there would have to be a big demand. That's the part I don't see happening.

GEN is right about the seated halfs, even the nicest 55-s I have ever seen was chop marked in a UNC details holder.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, go to the Heritage site and search "PCGS chop" image >>

Hmmm... Looks like they'll do it only under the "Genuine" service. Oh well... image

Another question (trying not to start another thread).

When did chop marks first start appearing on U.S. Coinage? I assume it was prior to Trade Dollars?

• DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one is sure exactly when chop marks first appeared on U.S. coins, nor is anyone sure exactly when the Chinese started chop marking coins. A new book on chop marks is coming out in August, hopefully it will shed some light on the questions. The Trade dollar series began in 1873 and they were chopmarked from the beginning. Seated halves from the 1850s and 1860s are seen chopped as well. I've seen a picture of a Bust Dollar with chopmarks (can't recall the date), that may be the earliest chopmarked U.S. coin. Spanish dollars circulated in the early years of the Republic and they are commonly found chopmarked. I don't know if chopmarked Spanish dollars circulated in the U.S., though. Perhaps a few did.
    Thanks DDR. That's great info!

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just reading a little about Chinese-American trade on Wikipedia to try to figure out when trade became significant and learned something I did not know:

Trade with China, originally an enterprise of seemingly limited prospects involving significant risk instead turned out to be extremely lucrative. American traders, now with a stable foothold in Canton, were eager to sell their goods to China; the extravagant mandarins in China, in turn, were excited at the idea of buying such goods. The first item that tended to sell in China was Spanish bullion: American traders would devote large sums of money to buying and amassing large quantities of the currency for export to China. Bullion was primarily used to complement the less profitable American goods such as cheese, grain, and rum. Use of bullion eventually became considerable with over $62 million worth of specie traded to China between 1805 and 1825.

The second major —and by far the most lucrative— American export to China was ginseng... Transported from the interiors of Pennsylvania and Virginia to Philadelphia, New York, or Boston, ginseng was then shipped to China and sold for up to 250 times its weight in silver.

Furs were the third-most lucrative American export to China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_China_Trade

The whole article is pretty interesting. We started trading almost immediately after the revolutionary war.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's also interesting is that if you are living in California in the mid-1800s it was actually faster and easier to travel to China than to the East Coast of the United States.
    Ginseng? I thought it came from China! Interesting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file