Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: I just threw away 40+ years worth of "Cassettes"!!!

Yeah, not card related...but I would think some of the collectors on the forum might be able to relate. I worked for 3 different music stores in the 80s and 90s and accumulated multiple hundreds of these things. And seeing some of them just made me shake my head!!! image ALL genres of music were alphabetized A-Z :Garth Brooks was right below the "Breakin" movie soundtrack...Debbie Gibson was followed David Gilmour, Suicidal Tendencies and Supertramp were buddies, Slayer and Slyy and the Family Stone would have been a good colabo.... and probably my favorite combo.... Motorhead was right above a Mozart Piano concerto!!!! image I thought my wife was going to cry! image Feel free to reply if you too have a story about these obsolete things that we loved so much back in the day!!! image

Comments

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    In twenty years they will be selling for crazy money and then you'll be really sorry. image
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I cleaned out the garage the other day and found some old CD's I has stored in boxes. I came very close to throwing them out, but somehow the majority of them found their way to my car, and I am now rocking out to some sweet 80's tunes.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I cleaned out the garage the other day and found some old CD's I has stored in boxes. I came very close to throwing them out, but somehow the majority of them found their way to my car, and I am now rocking out to some sweet 80's tunes. >>

That's totally rad dude!!
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    What did you do with your 8-track tapes?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

<< <i>What did you do with your 8-track tapes? >>

I've got a few boxes of 8-tracks, to go along with an Atari 2400. I think I still have my old Nintendo 8-bit kicking around too, along with about 150 vinyl albums. Tonight, I break out the VHS player.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I junked a Beta machine along with a bunch of Beta movies a few years ago. I still don't know if that was smart or stupid.
  • Options
    Send them to BBCE to have them sealed. Then put the on eBay and watch the people go crazy!! image
  • Options
    "Debbie Gibson was followed David Gilmour"

That's a sin right there... image
    I haven't seem him for 20-some years (more like 30...hmmm...), but good god, he has improved. On an Island was a miracle. But, I still don't expect him to "eclipse" his Time solo of Feb. 18, 1972.

Eric
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I cleaned out the garage the other day and found some old CD's I has stored in boxes. I came very close to throwing them out, but somehow the majority of them found their way to my car, and I am now rocking out to some sweet 80's tunes. >>

That's totally rad dude!! >>

Bigdcards out in SoCal prefers gnarly..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    I collect cassettes a bit. Usually when I pick them up cheap. I have a few hundred.
  • Options
    GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    Some cassettes are still worth quite a bit. I have a buddy that collects vinyl and cassettes. He's told me some pretty neat stories about stuff from the 80's and 90's that have sold for crazy prices. Sound familiar?
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    You should have entered them into the tape media
    database at "45worlds" web site, here...

45worlds: Tape Media

It's a fairly new addition to the series of sites which
    include 78rpm records, LP's, CD's, Magazines, etc.

This was all started with a site called "45cat"
    which aims to include every 45rpm record made
    anywhere in the world. It now has over half
    a million entries.

45cat

These are not buy/sell sites. They're just a
    collector on-line database.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    unwise imo

Cassettes are making a comeback with the kids
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>Send them to BBCE to have them sealed. Then put the on eBay and watch the people go crazy!! image >>

LOL
  • Options
    Hell, back in the mid 90s i traded Queen concerts, some very rare, included is one I got from a Mott the Hoople fan who had queen as the opening act, from people around the world, 300+ of them. My dad cleaned out a closet and dropped them off to me today. I was excited spending $300 on a 1x CD burner back in the day just to get them on cd.... Now I'm not sure what to do with them

Pete
    .Looking for ANY National Bank notes of Skaneateles, NY
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    I was expensive having a reel to reel installed in my vehicle.

KInda bulky to
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>unwise imo

Cassettes are making a comeback with the kids >>

Agreed. A ton of stuff from the 80's are making a comeback these days.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    What do you mean obsolete, I still have a cassette player in my pick-up!!!

...And that aint a joke eitherimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!