Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How about a guess of NT or AT thread?

bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
While I was out driving around for work, I stopped at a little B&M shop. I found this peace dollar and it intrigued me. The owner says he got it out of an old Whitman album. He didn't want too high of price for it, so I decided to buy it and get ya'lls opinion of it. So do you think it's AT or NT? Feel free to throw some grades at it also.

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go with MA. Though I fear, I am wrong and it's AT.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    not even close to MA but i am sure there is a market for it.
  • Options
    It didn't look album toned to me either but I'm far from being an expert on these things. I paid $28 for it. No big deal. It will get put on my box of misc stuff. Lol I just wanted to hear opinions on it.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It didn't look album toned to me either but I'm far from being an expert on these things. I paid $28 for it. No big deal. It will get put on my box of misc stuff. Lol I just wanted to hear opinions on it. >>

A 2K Peace dollar in a PCGS holder and, I think it's got a better than 50/50 shot at doing so.

A (possible) homerun!

peacockcoins

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the price you paid, I would likely have purchased it as well.
    I don't think it would slab at PCGS, and likely not at NGC either.

Unusual look for a peace dollar, not looking album toned (more like holder toned for other denominations and years), but the job done on it isn't ugly.

Too hard to say on grade, but that all gets thrown out the window on this one anyway.

If you were to tire of it, and sell it, just for fun, I think you wouldn't have a hard time doubling your money.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be worth the investment to send it in to PCGS. If they holder and grade it, you will do very well. Colors like this on a Peace are much rarer than on Morgans.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT and ugly

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's well worth the risk for a shot of grading

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that will grade at PCGS
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it's well worth the risk for a shot of grading >>

I give it about a 1% chance, and respectfully disagree. However, the OP can probably recoup
    original cost plus grading fees just by listing the coin raw on eBay, so he is in essence "playing
    with house money".
  • Options
    AT or not, that is a beautiful piece. How is the luster in hand? Does it cartwheel well on the obverse? That would be the main factor for me, if the luster looks right.....this coin is an absolute winner regardless of what the "everything is AT" mob on this forum says.

I also purchased a nice colorfully rim-toned Peace dollar(though not nearly as intense as yours is) from a coin shop for cheap several years ago. I will have to get some pics out one of these days.
    All coins kept in safety deposit box.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    AT all day long.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think it's well worth the risk for a shot of grading >>

I give it about a 1% chance, and respectfully disagree. However, the OP can probably recoup
    original cost plus grading fees just by listing the coin raw on eBay, so he is in essence "playing
    with house money". >>

As usual I agree (in part) with Coinjunkie, on the fact that you're playing with house money. Nothing short of burning money on multiple submissions will affect you're return. And I bet even having a QC PCGS holder will push up it's value if you sold it because buyers will appreciate the honesty.

However, I believe this coin is 100% NT. It was dipped lightly, not rinsed properly, and put in an album or envelope. What's so obviously AT about it? I don't see anything, but do expect dogmatic references to the David Hall's remark about how peace dollars tone brown. While Peace dollars normally tone brown, and try to tone brown (or brown iridescence which can look like rainbow)there are some cons that hit attractive colors in sectors over their surface on the way to brown especially if they have had a light dipping
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    FTB be nice image As for the Peace Dollar I would send it in and see what happens as stated the benefits out weigh the negatives. Just like anything else we are seeing pics and not the coin in hand and that is the key on something like this. Your coin looks like this one and it graded so I think you have a better than 60% chance.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any signs of elevation chromatics which would indicate NT. But lack of does not necessarily indicate AT. I think it as attractive as toning is on Morgans and for that reason it might grade.

OINK
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT all day long

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd vote AT. Small chance of a straight-grade at PCGS. If you did get lucky it would be quite profitable.

It's slightly curious that you NEVER see these in key or semi-key dates..... always on BU, common-date coins that can be purchased at a slight premium to melt.
  • Options

<< <i>However, I believe this coin is 100% NT. It was dipped lightly, not rinsed properly, and put in an album or envelope. What's so obviously AT about it? >>

The color progression does not look even close to natural to my eye. But hey, lots of coins that
    look AT to me have made it into graded holders from reputable services over the years.
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>However, I believe this coin is 100% NT. It was dipped lightly, not rinsed properly, and put in an album or envelope. What's so obviously AT about it? >>

The color progression does not look even close to natural to my eye. But hey, lots of coins that
    look AT to me have made it into graded holders from reputable services over the years. >>

Good debate and thank you for keeping it such. You're probably right! But I have driven a stake in the ground with my opinion and never mind being wrong, but my experience, born out of many submissions, is that this has a good chance of getting a straight low grade..
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it would be worth the investment to send it in to PCGS. If they holder and grade it, you will do very well. Colors like this on a Peace are much rarer than on Morgans. >>

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>

look AT to me have made it into graded holders from reputable services over the years. >>

I'm not debating anyone's opinions on the color as I don't have that much experience with the process. But, I have seen where a lot of Morgans will show a nice progression in toning, and while I look at some toned Peace Dollars on ebay, I don't see a lot of that type of same progression. As I like the color regardless if NT or AT, why would a Peace tone differently than a Morgan? Both are made of the same material.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same reason Washies tone nicely but SLQ's don't. All four coins are 90/10 Silver/Copper.

The design, dies, & material stresses are just different. Morgan dies were basined. Peace dollar dies weren't. There are no PL or DMPL Peace dollars either.
  • Options

<< <i>Same reason Washies tone nicely but SLQ's don't. All four coins are 90/10 Silver/Copper.

The design, dies, & material stresses are just different. Morgan dies were basined. Peace dollar dies weren't. There are no PL or DMPL Peace dollars either. >>

Thank you for the explanation!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the picture, I would unhesitatingly call this AT....that being said, you should still submit it - there are many, many AT coins in slabs....
    This is similar to one I experimented with - short dip, hair dryer and sulfur box. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    It's also highly likely that the sulfur content of mint bags was much lower (or non-existent) by 1921.
    One rarely sees wildly toned 1921 Morgans, either.
  • Options
    machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    The color has a hallmark natural progression to it. Photos are juiced to make the color pop a little too much. It's an NT coin by my eye. However, getting the NT blessing from PCGS or NGC will be very challenging. That color on a Morgan would slab as NT most of the time. On a Peace Dollar? 80% chance they bounce it back as AT. That's just the way toning seems to work.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options

<< <i>The color has a hallmark natural progression to it. Photos are juiced to make the color pop a little too much. It's an NT coin by my eye. However, getting the NT blessing from PCGS or NGC will be very challenging. That color on a Morgan would slab as NT most of the time. On a Peace Dollar? 80% chance they bounce it back as AT. That's just the way toning seems to work. >>

Believe it or not, the photo is not juiced. The obv is actually a little darker in the pic than what it really is. The colors do pop!
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to get hurt at $28.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<This is similar to one I experimented with - short dip, hair dryer and sulfur box. Cheers, RickO>>

So, henceforth, you shall now be known as Dr. O........

OINK
  • Options
    rkprkp Posts: 434 ✭✭✭
    It may be NT, but has the appearance of AT
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin.
    I usually look at a coin and immediately decide if I think the toning is o.k.

That coin is a little tougher. If it is AT'ed it is better than most.
    I like it.
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    It would not surprise me to see it slab. Peace toning is often a bit odd compared to Morgans or other coins that are more commonly toned.
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    Well I've never been one to gamble, but I'm thinking I just may give this a shot and send it to our hosts for their opinion. If I lose the gamble, well then just a lesson learned.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a few Peace$ with somewhat the same colors, BUT, on this example I don't see any blending of the colors like mother nature long term storage does.
    I also see the color on the devices the same as the surrounding fields, plus it just don't look right to my eyes. I vote no-go on this one. But I have seen some slabbed ones that I shake my head to. I'd say good luck but I honestly can't because I don't like seeing questionable coins blessed by the services. Nothing against you and anybody that takes it that way needs to get a life. imageimage
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Bobby, you already know I'm on the AT side of the fence... but I'm also in the neighborhood of send that sucker in!
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least you didn't pay $2800 for it.
    Never seen a Peace Dollar like that.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ok, I bit the bullet. Off to pcgs it goes in the morning. Wish me luck! This will be my first submission!
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin. I look forward to another post with the results of your submission.
    Good luck
  • Options
    It goes out in the morning. If this coin had an old dip then I don't think it was too bad. The coin has some very nice luster and my 7x didn't see any hairlines. If anything knocks it down, it should just be if the toning is questionable by the graders.
  • Options
    The Peace Dollar I posted for you to compare to is a MS64 graded by PCGS and is in their coin facts pics just so you know. You coin has a very similar color profile and if they were to see that pic/coin before yours I would say yours would come back MS64/65. Also I like the coin very much and have had a 24 with colors like this. The way the Peace dollars were struck causes them to tone differently because of the pressures used and the way the metal flowed and moved during that process.
  • Options
    I had to bump this so I could find it again.
    This coin has gone to PCGS regular submission. Received 06/30. Now it's just a waiting game.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the obverse of this piece VERY attractive !!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file