Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hello, I'm TIF and I'm an ancient coinaholic.

Hi there, CU darksiders! image

I'd like to introduce myself before further delurking.

A year and a half ago I became seriously interested in numismatics-- mostly US classics. I grew up around piles and piles of those coins. My grandparents collected old coins from their cash register in the 1930s-1970 plus my grandfather was an avid trader and hoarder. As a child, visiting my grandparent's house meant playing with endless cigar boxes piled full of strange old coins.

Growing up, I knew a few things basic things about coins but a serious numismatic interest didn't take hold. That's a shame; it would have pleased my grandfather greatly. When he died, most of the valuable coins were sold for a song. Tens of thousands of mostly well-circulated coins remained though, divided between my mom and uncle who weren't terribly interested in them. The boxes remained under beds for a few more decades.

In late 2012 my mom decided to sell her half. I went home to help. There was only one coin store in the area and I didn't feel very comfortable or confident in them. Still not knowing much about numismatics, when the dealer kept talking about "melt value", I took that literally. I came close to bypassing the middleman and sending them directly to the refiner myself!

Fortunately, within days I came to my senses. Then full-blown coin fever set in. I found PCGS's site, bought books, joined forums, and spent every spare moment sorting and cataloguing coins. Date and mintmark? Not deep enough. Microscopic exam! Doubled dies! RPMs! Rick Snow's books! VAMming! Spreadsheets! I couldn't get enough.

I lurked on CollectorsUniverse but mainly posted on another forum. Once or twice I looked at the Ancients section but it was so vast and confusing. Those people must study ancient coins for decades to be able to have such discussions, I thought.

Then one day I read a thread in which people posted cropped pictures of emperors and the game was to be the first with a correct ID. It seemed impossible. Loving a challenge, I tried to play. In doing so I must've looked at thousands of coin pictures every day for a month or two, trying very hard to be the first to identify an emperor correctly. It was an unusual way to begin learning about ancient coins-- not very systematic-- but it really did jumpstart my ancient education. Within a week of playing that dangerous game, the sorting and cataloguing of my grandfather's coins ground to a halt as my attention became riveted to ancients.

Still though, buying a coin? Please. Coins are something you get in change; something you pay face value for and then smile if it happens to be worth more than face.

Snort. I'm not going to buy a coin. Who does that?? On the other hand, I'm not going to find an ancient coin in change...

Well, maybe it wouldn't hurt to buy some gnarly uncleaned coins. That might be fun. Clean them up, study and identify them. Maybe I'll find something super duper rare! Plus, it will educational. How can it be wrong if it is educational?

I bought several batches. They didn't clean up very well at all. It was unsatisfying.

Maybe I could buy just one already-cleaned ancient coin. Nothing wrong with that. It's not excessive, not too indulgent. Pontius Pilate issued coins? Hmm. I'll buy one for a dear friend. He's very religious; it would mean a lot to him. Hmm, Heritage has one but it is part of a lot of 9. That's okay, it's for my dear friend. Of course he deserves the gift, who cares if I have to buy a few more coins than I need...

...I guess I could keep one for myself...

...Maybe I'll just keep all but one Pontius Pilate.

A year later, I still haven't given him the coin. image

Look, a flying horse! Well, every girl should have a Pegasus, right? I've seen those around. There are many jewelry stores around here with those coins set in gold. If I were going to buy just one nice ancient coin, that's what I'd choose. I should buy one very nice ancient coin. Everybody should have one nice ancient coin, right?

Ooooh, Heritage has a very intriguing Corinth stater-- some disheveled bearded guy doing an ancient photobomb behind Athena's head. Must have. Mine mine mine!

The auction was very exciting! My heart was about to break out of my chest when I won. I was deeply embarrassed to have spent several hundred dollars on a coin though. I bid on and won another in that same auction (shh, don't tell!). I was just being practical. I saved on shipping, right?

I didn't tell my family what I'd done. Coins are something you get in change.

I wanted to buy more.

Another rationalization was in order.

A themed collection. Yeah! I'll only buy coins for a certain theme-- a collection which hasn't been done before. If it hasn't been done before, someone should do it. I'll have to step up. It's my duty.

Several months later, I accumulated enough coins to fully represent the theme although I will undoubtedly add more and upgrade some over time.

(interactive animated slideshow with music here )

Crack? Heroin? Gambling? Hah. They've got nothing on ancient coin collecting. Individual coins weren't enough. I bought many large mixed lots. It was more exciting if they were unphotographed and minimally described. Since there are no ancient coins lurking in the ground where I live, it's the closest I can come to the thrill of discovery. Searching out the attribution and historical information is loads of fun.

Never in my life have I had I been interested in history… now I love reading about the ancient world as it relates to each coin. If only my grade school teachers had shown actual artifacts to match the topics…

I still enjoy the thrill of large lots but lately have been trying to not to buy every coin that catches my eye, instead focusing on fewer coins of higher quality. It's hard.

The fever has settled into a slow and delicious burn. I'm having so much fun not only learning about the coins and their history but in meeting other collectors. The interesting people, the friendships made... this may be the real treasure the hobby has unearthed.

Life is good.

So, that's the gist of my ancient coin collecting history. This month is my first anniversary.

Here are a few of my favorites. I'll post some of them in individual threads over the next month or two along with write-ups, although don't expect SmEagle1795-caliber expositions (but it's something to strive for). image

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Great intro, welcome to the forum!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A wonderful intro indeed! Great to have you over here, TIF, and happy coinaversary! image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    A wonderfully entertaining introduction, and great coins!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, and the first step is admitting that everyone else has a problem, or something like that.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mat from cointalk, nice to see you here too image
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Nick here, and welcome! Ancients have been a hot topic lately, so you have emerged from lurkerdom at the right time.

Impressive collection so far!
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    You came to the perfect place to seek help for your illness, WELCOME to the Darkside image
  • Options
    I didn't care much about reading history books before I started collecting, either. Back in school when they forced you to learn it didn't seem all that interesting. Since I began collecting (about eight years ago) I have developed a great appreciation for those early empires and especially the struggles during the dark ages. The history I'm learning is often as fun as collecting.

All I can say about starting in coin collecting is not to spend money that you may need back. It's a great hobby but probably not the best way to invest money. We all probably could tell you stories about money lost (or gained) while collecting but most people here would rather keep the focus on the coins themselves and the history behind them.

Anyway, best of luck and welcome!
  • Options
    WOW!

welcome image

looking forward to the individual posts
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

And nicecurrency... I believe you stole my Otho brockage image

It actually was on my 'definitely buy this' list but somehow I was confused about the auction date. The morning I went to check on it and bid I found the bad news.

You got a great deal on that coin, congrats! image
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. For me also, my beginning interest in coins fueled an intense interest in history...one that I had never had. As a type collector, it has extended from US to World to ancients. In ancients, I started with the 12 Caesars (still not complete) then expanded to Roman portraiture denari, and beyond. I still feel like a beginner in the ancients arena though. I look forward to you posts.

Tom

• Options

<< <i>Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

And nicecurrency... I believe you stole my Otho brockage image

It actually was on my 'definitely buy this' list but somehow I was confused about the auction date. The morning I went to check on it and bid I found the bad news.

You got a great deal on that coin, congrats! image >>

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Welcome aboard. After seeing a friends collection in 1959 I became interested in U.S. coins. In the early 70's I started collecting foreign coins. In 2006 the foreign bug really hit and I can't get away from them. For some reason the ancient bug never hit me. Something must be wrong with me I guess. Great intro by the way.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome intro! Welcome to the forum and looking forward to hearing more about the collection.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, every girl should have a Pegasus, right? >>

Would you be a lady, then? If so, great. We could always use more female members.

Thanks for a great thread. I like how you deconstructed the "slippery slope" so many of us have traveled down.

Your grandparents sound like they were a LOT of fun. I was lucky in the grandparents department, too, but mine were not as antiquarian as yours seemed to have been.

Great coins, and great Pink Floyd tie-in. A Floyd fan, too? Cool.

PS-

<< <i>don't expect SmEagle1795-caliber expositions (but it's something to strive for). >>

Eh, don't worry about that. None of us can hold a candle to SE1795, numismatically. I can't even strive for it.

From what I see of your photomontage, though,you have some very impressive coins indeed.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome- looks as if you don't need Ed McMahon for an intro-

terrific images- well done

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    PS-

<< <i>don't expect SmEagle1795-caliber expositions (but it's something to strive for). >>

Eh, don't worry about that. None of us can hold a candle to SE1795, numismatically. I can't even strive for it.
    >>

I appreciate the praise, but you guys should be careful. If you encourage me too much, I'll end up writing more and based on the relative fragility of the forum software, I may end up overloading it due to exuberance image

TIF does indeed have some fantastic coins which absolutely deserve their own threads image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TIF2 I read this again - very cool background and coins!
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    image Welcome. Great read and photos in your opening remarks.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice addiction, oops I mean collection.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson