Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need some help evaluating this 1824 CBH... OK, I submitted it....

and just got the results today. When I bought this, I had absolutely no intention of submitting it, but wasn't 100% sure how to call it. After the replies, I figured I would, just out of curiosity. So, GTG! Did it grade, what grade, or genuine?

I'm just wondering if this variety is known for a weak central strike. The peripheries are strong, and there is about 25%-30% remaining luster, what you might expect on an AU50 coin. What should the grade be?
<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Most likely dipped and re-toning (Fine details)
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    That "luster" is not original mint luster...

Your coin is F/VF with an old cleaning.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned and partially retoned. Fine details. Pass.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU-50 coin?

Certainly some of the CBHs are known for a weak strike and metal flow problems, but that coin has seen a lot of circulation and would have a technical grade or F-12 ... or maybe F-15 on a good day. The "luster" is artificial and from an "old" cleaning (how old is not relevant).
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    slothman2000slothman2000 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    O-115?
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree with the OP that the coin suffers from a soft strike, notably the obverse, but I also agree with the rest indicating the coin has also been heavily circulated.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I think this CBH is a weak strike but I also think the obverse stars and reverse lettering are very strong. I see this coin as a VF.
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    Sadly, I would consider this coin a "junker"...that is, common date, common variety, below VF, and surfaces are not attractive.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the peripheral obv luster is real which suggests both a very weak strike and that the coin was messed while still in an XF/AU grade.

The reverse looks baking sodaed at best and scrubbed/whizzed at worst. The coin may have had artificial wear applied to the centers (wire wheel) leaving the peripherals rather untouched. And it could be
    that it's one of the worst struck 1824 halves ever. Many BU 1903-0 Barber halves looked VF right out of US mint.

Would agree of having the value of F-VF....despite the obv luster. Normally such a coin should be VF30-35 at a minimum with that much orig luster hiding in the devices. But it's been messed with too much
    for that to make much difference.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This die marriage is a little weak in the center, typically. But not in an exaggerated way. Here's my 58. And here's Link's 64. Note the flatness to Liberties curls, the soft talon details, feathers, shield.

Something more is going on with this coin than a weak strike or worn/lapped dies. roadrunner may be right.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with lance's comments on strike for variety. Cleaned surfaces ut toning to get some color back. I'd put this one in a yellow paper envelope in the safe deposit box for a couple of years and let in return to some natural toning.
  • Options
    1824 O-115

Here is mine. there is a disturbance sort of trench shape in front of the bust in the field that I believe is an indication of heavy lapping, thus the coin having reduced details in certain areas...
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe this is a case of a weaker strike and worn dies. I also agree with Lance on this one. As far as it being cleaned? I have no idea. It is however a cool looking piece!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    ttt
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file