Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

THE "TRIPLE CROWN" OF 1909VDB MPL'S CONTINUES ON MONDAY, JUNE 23RD

It's not often that THREE 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cents go up for auction, all within TWO Months of each other. This summer Heritage is auctioning three examples. The first was auctioned at Long Beach on June 5th. It was a PCGS PR64RB that sold for $24,675. The second example is a PCGS PR66RB that will be auctioned in New York City on June 23rd. That coin is the purpose for this thread and the Heritage write-up can be seen HERE.

The third coin to be auctioned by Heritage will be the McCullagh collection PCGS PR67+RB currently owned by Jonathan Watkins which will be sold during the ANA's annual World's Fair of Money in Chicago during August. As each of these coins reflects an increasing certified grade, we can expect to see increasing dollar bidding. The PR64RB resulted in 11 bidders participating. So far, 4 bidders are participating for the PR66RB coin with a current high bid of $11K. Any reserve on this coin will be posted on Monday, June 16th.

Let's see how our "Triple Crown of 1909VDB MPL's" plays out.

Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭
    I have in hand viewed the 1909 VDB PCGS PR64RB that just sold for $24,675. To me, it was a decent coin for the assigned grade.

I was also able to view in hand the upcoming 1909 VDB PCGS PR66RB
    "The Gardner VDB" I really like this one, I expect it to do very well in this upcoming Heritage sale.

BW
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Brian, thank you for your participation on this thread and your expert comment on the coins.

I encourage others to provide their thoughts also.
    Steveimage

P.S. A fifth bidder upped the bidding to $30k with the price now at $35,250. Good luck to all those who will be participating.
  • Options
    Well, a week or so has gone by and no new bidding has taken place. Tomorrow at 7PM CDT we will find out if the Gardner collection will place a reserve higher than the current bid of $30k. I kind of doubt it, but I sure don't know. What I do know is that last week two bidders brought the bidding from $11k to $30k overnight so there must be some interest at the current level. Maybe we'll know more after the reserve posting time has past. Then, it's one more week until the actual auction in New York City on June 23rd. The "second" jewel in the triple crown of 1909VDB MPL's is coming up quickly.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    Well, 4 more days have past and no new internet bidding, and 4 more days from now and the auction will take place in New York City on Monday afternoon. One new event has taken place. A 6th bidder was reported on last Monday after it was indicated that the auction had "no Reserve". From my interpretation of the Heritage bidding rules, this 6th bidder must have been either a mail or phone bidder, not an internet bidder. As such, this bidder must indicate an interest in bidding at the auction on Monday and must commit to beating the current internet bid of $30k. Assuming there is no further internet bidding thru the Sunday night internet cut-off, it appears to me that the 6th bidder would be competing with the current internet leading bidder's max bid going into Monday's auction. So we will see how it goes. Steveimage
  • Options
    Looks like we will go into the auction with the internet bid at $30k. (Closes Sunday evening). There is now a 7th mail/phone bidder who joined on Friday. So, it seems like we now have TWO mail/phone bidders plus the leading internet bidder from last week who took the previous internet high of $11k all the way up to $30K. So maybe 3? people are still actively interested in this coin? We will all find out around 3:30PM on Monday afternoon. Steveimage
  • Options
    An 8th bidder, an internet bidder, upped the final internet number two increments to $35k and with the buyers fee to $41,125. While the bidding before this actual auction is significant, it is also very interesting in my opinion. The first three bidders were probably just playing around with very insignificant bids. Bidders 4, 5 and 8 were internet bidders and all three "could" be players in this auction this afternoon. So could bidders 6 and 7 who indicated their interest by placing mail or phone commitments at the "above $30k level". In any event, we will all know later this afternoon how this "second jewel in the triple crown of 1909 VDB MPL's" turns out. Good luck to everyone still "in the race".
    Steveimage
  • Options
    The 1909 VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent in PCGS holder PR66RB has just sold at the Gardner sale in New York City for $55,812.50 with the buyers fee. The floor bidding progressed in $2,500 increments from $35k to $47.5K. A phone bidder won the lot. This is one of the higher prices paid for a 1909VDB MPL in a competitive auction. Congratulations to the winner. Steveimage
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not view these in hand, but the regular 1909 matte proof in NGC PR66RD and CAC approved seemed like a good deal at $3290. I paid about the same for my PCGS PR65RB a few years ago image
  • Options
    The 1909 VDB selling for $55,812.5 was a decent performance for the date but off from the NGC coin that sold for $63,250 in June of 2008.

The "Gardner" matte proof in this sale with a stellar performance was his***1916 PCGS PR64RB*** which set a record for the date and grade by hammering down for $7,931.25!!

In fact, this 1916 PR64RB brought more than the last 1916 PCGS PR66RB that sold for $6,463 in August of 2012.

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    Recap from my perspective watching on "Heritage Live". The floor bidding progressed nicely and supported my comments earlier that there could be up to five active bidders involved. I'm not sure how many internet or phone bidders were involved in the five increment jumps during the auction itself ($35,000 to $47,500) but there was no long hesitations between increments. At least two bidders really wanted this coin at this level.

And so we conclude the second jewel of this summer's Triple Crown of 1909VDB MPL's. The first jewel went to a PCGS PR64RB for $24,675 and the second jewel just went to a PCGS PR66RB for $55,812. Now in exactly 6 weeks from today, on Tuesday, August 5th at the ANA's World's Fair of Money we will have the third and final jewel in the Triple Crown of 1909VDB MPL's for the summer of 2014. Jonathan Watkin's magnificent McCullagh Collection featuring the 1909VDB MPL graded PCGS PR67+RB will be auctioned. Heritage will open the internet portion of the auction around July 17th and we will then see who will spend the "moon money" to acquire what is considered one of the most beautiful, if not THE most beautiful 1909VDB MPL's that exists.

Steveimage
  • Options

Yes, the anticipation will start to build as we get closer the McCullagh VDB crossing the auction block. Bidding is set to open around July 17th.