Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Since When Does PCGS Call 1817 O.103a (LDS) a "Punctuated Date"?

In early die-states, you can see the dot, but in late die-states, the dot is gone. I always thought only the EDS examples were considered the "Punctuated Date" variety - apparently not according to this coin.

I know sellers on eBay often market their O.103a's as "Punctuated Dates" to attract attention to their listings, when in reality it's the O.103 (without a) that's the true variety.

I also understand there's another "dot" that develops between 1 and 7 in later die-states, but forget that one - I mean the original dot. The one that gave the variety it's name.

So is this a mistake on PCGS's part, or are they now attributing O.103a's as "Punctuated Dates"? If so, I've got some buying/flipping to do! image
Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Dave got to them first.image
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting! That has got to be a change, because they refused to attribute mine about 4-5 years ago because it lacked the dot and I was told that that was the reason why.

Tom

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    In December of 2012, I attempted to get my PCGS 53 1817 O-103, without the dot, labeled as the Punctuated Date. Went through the attributors the second time, but was informed my coin was the wrong DS to be called the Punctuated Date. PCGS lists the O-103 as the Punctuated Date, but lists the O-103a without the dot, simply as the O-103a. Some people get lucky with the attributions, but not me.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭
    So is the consensus that this was a mistake?

It's a shame if this occurs often. Most people don't know better than to buy it as the variety, which is worth multiples of a typical O.103a of the same grade.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well let's see one! A big thank you to jom for this.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian

I agree, just the early die state is the punctuated date.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another....picked this raw and sent it in. It has the dot (shows up better in hand ) and is labeled correctly...

imageimage
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭
    Again

This isn't a mistake. Someone at the grading house is interpreting Overton's text incorrectly and ruining any rough census there may have been for this variety.

Very frustrating.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file