Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

At What Percentage do you feel comfortable outing an eBay listing as fraudulent?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
You stumble upon a listing on eBay in your area of interest and/or expertise. Your spidey sense tells you there may possibly be a problem with the coin or listing.
At what percentage of confidence do you then expose your findings? 90%? 50%? 100%?

It's always interesting when a listing is featured here within a thread only to be rebuked. There really is never a followup apology or whatnot and I am left to wonder
if the damage done to the seller can ever be made right.
Perhaps that is simply the cost of doing business on eBay.

Thanks for your opinions.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only post here if I'm not sure or if it is something new that we haven't seen before. The vast majority (99%) I just report to Ebay and move on.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the issue isn't black and white with me. some that i post, i know to be 100% bad and some others i'll ask for opinions. i personally see nothing wrong will calmly and politely asking for an opinion about an item in a venue that is riddled with counterfeit items. i would be more graceful about the process if the problem wasn't so prevalent.

i will say the better the images, the less problems a seller should have and most do the bare minimum on dimensions so imo, they get what they get. i should have been uploading full-size images years ago but no one around complaining enough or encouraging enough for me to take the steps sooner unfortunately.

when i see someone hit 500 exactly on dark or questionable images, if i had more time i would just report the listings for poor images but i simply don't have time for such things. the way i see it, if they took the time to type 500, they could have easily typed 1000 or 1500 and been done with it. i've been slowly upgrading all my images to 1500x1500+ and i feel much better about those images than the ones i had that were 500x500. don't know what the heck i was thinking. someone was whispering in my ear that large images are bad and i guess i'll use the excuse that swayed my decision and i failed because i didn't listen to my gut and my gut said, bigger images, less problems!!!!!! i'm out.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have to be 100% certain (or as close to that as humanly possible) before I would make any public comment, either here or elsewhere, regarding a seller's posting. Perhaps that is one advantage of specialization, when you focus on just one series or denomination. I would never make such comments or accusations on any series outside of my area of expertise. And before making any such allegation regarding the authenticity of another seller's item on eBay, one should be reminded of the severe limitations of judging a coin from a two-dimensional image. These limitations involve not just grading, but authenticity, as well. I can recall several half dimes submitted to me for verification of authenticity which were very difficult to do even with the coin in hand. It often takes a specific gravity test for positive verification, obviously not possible from viewing a computer image. Before taking the risk of damaging someone else's reputation or integrity, it is best to be certain. Otherwise, make no comment at all.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    I never have but never would without being 100% certain. I may ask someone with more knowledge than I in a certain series by PM but never in the open forum.
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file