Home U.S. Coin Forum

another 50c bust c/s on a 1831 w/known maker

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
funny story to go along with this example, also from the Henry Hilgard collection:

So Stacks listed this as W. Hubbell and Brunk H-860 and if you go to Brunk you will find it lists an 1831 50c and a 1826 & 1835 and aernoth not dated Large Cent but without any photos. However Brunk expressedly names it as W.W. Hubbell and not as W.Hubbell. So I wondered if something was a miss and looked at the actual 1831 c/s closer and believed it was not W. Hubbell but instead W. Rubbell. And then I went back to Brunk to search for W. Rubbell and found a listing under W. Rubbell the R-599 and it listed 2 examples an 1819 Large Cent and a 1831 HD with a photo of the 1831, which matched my example thus this ended up being the Brunk Plate coin. That was a pleasant surprise to say the leastimage

And in Rulau he lists a W. Hubbell with the same examples as Brunk has for W.W. Hubbell and later goes on to say " similar c/s on an 1831 HD. Possibly issued by gunsmith W.W. Hubbell of Philadephia about 1844". And btw Rulau had nothing for W. Rubbell.

Darn it I keep for getting to attribute, it is a O-103 R-1. Ex: Henry Hilgard.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file