Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

PCGS Secure Plus no longer required for world coins?

I've seen a number of world coins offered recently in NEW style PCGS regular holders (prongs with gradient blue labels). My understanding is that all world coins had to go Secure Plus. Did PCGS recently change it's policy?

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen a number of world coins offered recently in NEW style PCGS regular holders (prongs with gradient blue labels). My understanding is that all world coins had to go Secure Plus. Did PCGS recently change it's policy? >>

I asked a similar question recently as I noticed the same. I'm looking forward to getting an accurate answer.

Dennis
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's good news.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I concur, but I enjoyed the Secure Plus images, even if they were intentionally inferior to TrueView. Maybe they thought that it's time to increase the demand for images.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the number of coins listed and those in new holders, I wonder if a bulk submission makes any difference... just thinking whether that is even a possibility.

The seller's listing perhaps is helping the cause by illustrating that a market for 20th century world can be created.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably would be easier to contact Greg to figure this out, but my assumption is that he's submitting through Paris.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    It looks like from their fees page that Secure Plus can be added for some tiers for $5 and is mandatory for others. I know that NGC is cheaper and currently more popular for World Coins. It seems they lowered their fee to match NGC and made the Secure Plus optional

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would wager they were from the pre secure Plus requirement and were reholdered in the new reholder special!
  • Options
    Could be, although I've seen about a dozen or so across different auctions and dealers inventory. I'll see if I can find someone at PCGS who might know what's going on.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My present submission went in on a CC voucher. I only assume they will come back in Secure Plus holders.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    The Secure Plus for World coins applies for coins dated prior to 1965 and any coin valued at $50,000 or more.

Lord M - my last CC voucher was for Greyside Victorian and were returned in Secure Plus holders (April 2014).

Original Dan - that holder pre-dates the Secure Plus requirement.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

<< <i>The Secure Plus for World coins applies for coins dated prior to 1965 and any coin valued at $50,000 or more.

Lord M - my last CC voucher was for Greyside Victorian and were returned in Secure Plus holders (April 2014).

Original Dan - that holder pre-dates the Secure Plus requirement. >>

No, the linked coin above was holdered in 2014.
  • Options
    Found this thread pointing out the slab type. That thread says that some world coins at the 2014 Long Beach show were holdered like this, although still no explanation as to why we are seeing Pre-1965 world coins outside of SP holders.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    HMM - I wonder if they were using up old stock labels / holders?

I have some pieces in holders just like that from prior to the Secure Plus requirement.

Correction to 2nd line: those holders have moderns in them. No Secure Plus labels. We'll have to wait for the official PCGS response.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan - you should contact Greg about this. He and I chatted about this recently, but I don't remember what he exactly said but I believe our conclusion was that this was against the terms of the submission tier.

You may also want to contact PCGS so you can compare official and real world responses.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭
    These were probably graded prior to secure plus requirement and were recently submitted for the special $5 reholder service?
  • Options

<< <i>Probably would be easier to contact Greg to figure this out, but my assumption is that he's submitting through Paris. >>

Roman, your assumption is wrong. He doesn't

- because it doesn't make sense for a CA resident to submit through Paris
    - because Paris is 50% more expensive to Collector's Universe members due to their services in euros (even I don't submit to Paris)
    - and because Paris is 80%-100% more expensive to Greg , who enjoys special prices with over 1000 submissions per month, without counting the shipping fees.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Update, PCGS is looking into it. Doesn't sound like there's a policy change.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When our hosts will LOWER their fees to match you know who ..many will come back, including me - as much as I prefer our hosts holders, and all - it is totally insane to pay so much more. I share many others who tell me exactly the same. This comment probably belongs in the love affair thread.. image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the number of World coins and collectors, one would think there is untapped market that seems poised for growth if a submission program were created for lower end 20th century valued coins.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Last night, I've received the following reply by Greg, who after reading this thread asked me to post it on his behalf:

"Four of my recent invoices (about 700 coins total) came back without the Secure Plus insert. They were submitted under the World Economy tier which must be Secure Plus and I paid the appropriate fees for this tier. From what I can tell, the coins were imaged fully on two of invoices, imaged partially on another invoice, and not imaged at all on one of the invoices. Three of my submissions show on the submission status service level as World-Circulated when they should have shown as World-Economy. They originally showed as Circulated when first showing up online. I've never heard of World-Circulated before. The fourth showed up as World-Economy (no images).

This isn't the first time I've had non-modern world coin invoices come back without the Secure Plus insert. I've also had non-Secure Plus modern submissions come back with the Secure Plus insert and they were imaged. Not sure why and I honestly don't care if they are Secure Plus or not.

Unfortunately, I believe that PCGS has no intention of removing the requirement that all non-modern world coins be submitted under the much more expensive Secure Plus tiers. PCGS has made dramatic strides in improving their world coin abilities, but the significantly higher cost of submitting to PCGS is only going to push more world coins toward NGC who are already by far the leader in world coin grading.

Greg "

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    GreigGreig Posts: 89 ✭✭
    I agree with Greg's comments about NGC beginning to develop a lead over PCGS with world coins. I have a group of uncirculated non-US coins I am going to sell after grading and, for the first time ever, I am going to send them to NGC. The price differential for grading is just too steep, especially for coins of moderate value ($75-$150). (I do still use PCGS for Registry sets.)
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with Greg's comments about NGC beginning to develop a lead over PCGS with world coins. >>

"beginning to develop"??? - I think that "beginning" began many years ago and the lead of NGC over PCGS in the world market is long developed. The increased price pressure here can only widen the market gap in favor of NGC.

EVP

• Options
    I don't disagree, but I find it amusing that Greg posts something of the sort, with his silly ban still in place, and him submitting over 600-700+ coins to PCGS monthly. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>I don't disagree, but I find it amusing that Greg posts something of the sort, with his silly ban still in place, and him submitting over 600-700+ coins to PCGS monthly. image >>

Who is Greg and what is banned? you can PM me if you don't want to post it here
  • Options

<< <i>Who is Greg and what is banned? you can PM me if you don't want to post it here >>

Hehe. Snicker, snicker. The story of his banishment is one for the ages, and is public (albeit ancient) knowledge. But, I think only old-time lite-siders know the story.

(Don't ask me to tell the story, because I only remember parts of it. Also, Greg remembers it differently than I do.)

EVP

• Options

<< <i>I don't disagree, but I find it amusing that Greg posts something of the sort, with his silly ban still in place, and him submitting over 600-700+ coins to PCGS monthly. image >>

Greg just posted ATS that NGC wouldn't accept a show submission at Long Beach as he was "late". So he walked over to the PCGS table with his $2K worth of submission fees