Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A friend and colleague is going to the ISS next week, post a space coin

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
A project office and friend I used to work with is departing for his first mission to the International Space Station next week. I think this is a great post to start the Memorial Day weekend. Post your SPACE COINS!
Reid is on the far right.

Comments

• Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Here you go

image[/URL]
    image[/URL]

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee, as a friend you would think he would take you along !
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    они используют батут ?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky dog!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the way our relations with the driver is going now I'll stay home.image
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish him well for me.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyman - very cool & great thread
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    My friend launches in 15 minutes!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a live feed link so we can watch the trampoline?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a live feed link so we can watch the trampoline? >>

X2!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that the Russians were counter-boycotting the U.S. by not letting us ride along to the ISS?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (double post)
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Reid is having a blast on the ISS and taking some phenomenal pictures.

Follow him on twitter
    https://twitter.com/astro_reid
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really strange being off the ground, climbing , flying, roofing, etc… I could NOT do space.
    That's just too vast for my small mind. What's a guy going to tie off to ? They don't have sky hooks out there image
    Kudos to pilots, fliers, astronauts, bridge builders , and other nut cases. (you people got orbs)
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering what the astronaut in the middle is thinking... image
    C'mon, no one else sees this?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome Jesse!

Nice MFA medal rawmorgan! MFA medals are among my favorite flown medals because of their historic significance of being distributed to project members, the low cost, and the fact that you can still get many with the original award certificates.

Here's a US-USSR MFA medal from back when I was still taking photos. I have medals and certificates for both this one and the Apollo 11 medal posted above.

I have to say it's kind of cool that both the 2014 photo above and this 1975 medal say Союз, meaning Soyuz / Union.

• Options
    He has taken it to a new level but he isn't the first (i dont think). He also emails pictures and stories to his wife who then posts them on his Facebook page. These pictures and stories are more personal, and pretty neat. Stuff like his friends hometowns on their birthday, old naval stations he was at, places he has been... He has a huge following on twitter, and its growing every day. The Washington DC news channels used some of his pictures in their weather reports last week.

I think the ISS also got some upgraded communication links that allow larger pictures, and more of them to be down-linked.

I can email him directly if anyone has a good question to ask.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Did you ask him to bring along any numismatic items for you, so you could have a 'flown in space' piece???
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options

<< <i>...Is he the first astronaut to engage in social media on a regular basis? >>

Nope. A variety of them have.

BTW, just as a heads up to those of you who are social media types and consider yourself modern, in case you are unaware of it, the space station has been continuously occupied since November 2000. During that time the crew has been at least 1/2 Russian. To date there have been ZERO Russian female cosmonauts aboard the ISS.

Here's a little piece I'm very happy to have in my collection. It is one of ten $2 bills that flew on BOTH SpaceShip One spaceflights that won the Ansari X prize. It is signed by both of the two pilots who flew the flights. Believe it or not, those flights occurred almost 10 years ago in the fall of 2004.

• Options
    I was at Edwards AFB during the first flight. A bunch of us left our building to watch it, it was pretty cool seeing the rocket. We ran back inside to watch the video feed...

I saw Burt Rutan at the Edwards golf course on several occasions, he was usually in his British argyle nickers and hat working on his chip shot.

As far as coins go, I did ask him to take a coin up for me. Long story short he didn't have room for one and I think it costs like 10,000 a lb to launch stuff, I could be wrong. I totally understood but I HAD to ask image
  • Options

<< <i>I was at Edwards AFB during the first flight. A bunch of us left our building to watch it, it was pretty cool seeing the rocket. We ran back inside to watch the video feed...

I saw Burt Rutan at the Edwards golf course on several occasions, he was usually in his British argyle nickers and hat working on his chip shot.

As far as coins go, I did ask him to take a coin up for me. Long story short he didn't have room for one and I think it costs like 10,000 a lb to launch stuff, I could be wrong. I totally understood but I HAD to ask image >>

Cool!

With regards to flown coins, I have no idea what the deal is as far as launching with the Ruskies goes, but during the shuttle era it was illegal for the astronauts to bring coins with them on the flights. Coins were certainly brought on various of the flights, but they were done via Government Agency to NASA agreements.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file