Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your "trophy coins"

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't own any... It's cheaper for me to appreciate yours. Inspired by Doug Winters article.

Trophy coins

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...tough call to single one out. I have received the most "oohs" and "aahs" on my 1884 Liberty Nickel though;

1884 5C RPD FS-301 PR64

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't own any... It's cheaper for me to appreciate yours. Inspired by Doug Winters article.

Trophy coins >>

Yeah....I have no trophies either. A few might qualify as a "certificate of participation", however. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BroweBrowe Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    A piece that I have owned for about a year now, and I still can't take my eyes off it.

1927-P PCGS MS67RD

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Lincoln's face got stitched up!!! image
    A very nice looking coin!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Don't have any "trophy coins" just runner-ups and did not place coins.image
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Boosibri, you disappoint me. Whenever I open one of your threads I expect to see some nice original 19th century gold. Although you may not have a singular Trophy Coin, from what I can tell your collection as a whole is a trophy collection.

Putting together a Dahlonega Type set requires a few trophies to get it complete. I have four but here are two dollars up for consideration.

First is not contested...61-D dollar...second time posted today to one of Boosibri's threads

Second is what I consider to be even a tougher dollar, Type II, and single year type making it required for the type set. This one is a full date and probably less than two dozen with full date exist.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got nuthin'
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    3rd finest of just a handful known of a rare change in the hub design that came late in the year.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    way nice coin all.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill do a light side and dark side piece

Bought this raw as a VF came back from PCGS as XF45

Picked this up raw for $105. Came back from PCGS as MS65, finest graded
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't. I sold it. Regretting it every day. image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

<< <i>I can't. I sold it. Regretting it every day. image >>

What was it?
  • Options
    BroweBrowe Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< I can't. I sold it. Regretting it every day. >>

What was it? >>

I second that notion.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Mine are all world coins, but here are a couple anyway. Luckily mine aren't in heavily collected areas of coinage, since the other guy collecting similar pieces only has a dial up internet connection I often beat him out in online auctions for very reasonable prices. image

1964 Britain Halfpenny Record Proof, one of three known, two in the Royal Mint Collection and this one:

1788 P940 Bright Gilt Pattern Halfpenny, 3 known:

1787 British Sixpence proof on heavy flan, less than a dozen known:

1812 British Pattern 1 Shilling 6 Pence, less than 5 known:

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't. I sold it. Regretting it every day. image >>

What was it? >>

Half Dime PCGS VF30 with stupendous toning you really can't see here.

imageimage

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    For 2009, the coinage dies for the £5, the double-sovereign and the sovereign were manufactured directly from Benedetto Pistrucci's originals...

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This showed up in the mail the other day.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    Will someone please post a Pan Pac octagonal or a 1907 HR?
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I absolutey agree with DW's assesment of the $50 Octagonal Pan Pac. That to me is the absolute pinnacle in USCoins.

No 1913 Nickel, no 1804 $1, well that $10,000,000 1794 Silver $1 might edge out the Pan Pac by a hair. image

For the money I like the big $50 Octagonal.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS62 Secure Plus/CAC DDO FS-101
    Attribution thanks to crypto79 mentoring. image

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea for a thread, and I'd encourage any collector to post their highlights, regardless of level, my answer 10, 20, or 30 years ago would be very different,
    and I expect to post higher caliber coins on a topic like this 10 and 20 and 30 years from now...

anyway, today, these two are my best:

imageimage

(ngc kindly rotated the reverse image for us, the coin has normal coin turn orientation, and is R7+ with 4 known in any condition

Here's the current highlight of my type set

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Text

lets see if this works...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baley,

I remember when you discovered the 1807 O-115. Very exciting times then. Nice to see it again.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive owned this for a few months now and I still pull it out to look at it everyday.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my trophy coins in the CRO archive.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>One of my trophy coins in the CRO archive. >>

Ya I was thinking about buying that when you pulled the trigger
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    As a commem collector right now, this would have to be it. Courtesy of Broadstruck.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>One of my trophy coins in the CRO archive. >>

Ya I was thinking about buying that when you pulled the trigger >>

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This showed up in the mail the other day.
    Lance.

imageimage >>

That's it.
    I'm done for the night.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Not exactly a trophy coin, but the closest thing I have. PCGS AU 58 CAC

[URL=http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/handh1/media/imagejpg1_zps8fb65073.jpg.html]image[/URL]

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one was not an expensive addition to my collection, but it is probably one that I would have the toughest time letting go.

I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time when a dealer had just gotten back a submission of several rolls of 1909 VDBs that had been stored away for well over 50 years. The dealer told me he was in each coin for less than a dollar plus the grading fees. I was able to go through 200+ freshly graded 1909 VDB cents and I spent well over an hour sorting through the best of the best as I could not afford to just buy them all (in looking back I wish I could have!). I did buy a couple examples that graded higher, and about a dozen others in various grades, but this one here was the most eye appealing of the bunch and it's going to stay with me for quite awhile. I never get tired of looking at this one!!

PCGS MS66RB
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is my sestertius of the Colosseum, which I've posted here several times now. It was handed out by the emperor Titus to the first VIP spectators to attend the inaugural games held at the Colosseum upon its opening in 80 AD. As one of six able to be acquired by private collectors (with ~10 others permanently in museums), I'm pretty pleased to have managed to add this to my collection.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This one was not an expensive addition to my collection, but it is probably one that I would have the toughest time letting go.

I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time when a dealer had just gotten back a submission of several rolls of 1909 VDBs that had been stored away for well over 50 years. The dealer told me he was in each coin for less than a dollar plus the grading fees. I was able to go through 200+ freshly graded 1909 VDB cents and I spent well over an hour sorting through the best of the best as I could not afford to just buy them all (in looking back I wish I could have!). I did buy a couple examples that graded higher, and about a dozen others in various grades, but this one here was the most eye appealing of the bunch and it's going to stay with me for quite awhile. I never get tired of looking at this one!!

PCGS MS66RB
    image >>

Gorgeous........

Mike, off topic but your Canadian dollars are causing me nightmares, I want ALL of them image
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options

<< <i>Not exactly a trophy coin, but the closest thing I have. PCGS AU 58 CAC

[URL=http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/handh1/media/imagejpg1_zps8fb65073.jpg.html]image[/URL] >>

Now that is a rare coin, wow! I'd bet about 1 in 10 people here have even an inkling of how rare that coin is (maybe 20-30 known). VERY under appreciated and that coins is probably one of the top 5 in existence if not higher.
  • Options
    EurekaGoldEurekaGold Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Boiler, you never disappoint!
    All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure - Mark Twain
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was the finest known, and may still be. I picked it for $20 at a show. Sadly, I no longer own it.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Boiler wins again !!!
    Ed
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1786 Vermont Ryder 10. Tony Carlotto examined and photographed this coin for an hour and said "Finest by far. Right at the top of Ryder 10s". With old red and toning, no circulation contact marks, razor square rims and hitherto unknown minor die cracks. a Trophy.... image. image. image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good read - thanks for posting!

It would be interesting to see what a "non-exclusively-gold-coin" dealer would consider the top 10 trophy coins.

I consider this a trophy coin as well - has all the attributes that Doug mentions. I wouldn't trade it for 2 Octagonal Pan-Pacs. 3 would make me think......image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    The "trophy coins" selected so far are both interesting and enjoyable. Thank you all for sharing!
    It will be interesting to watch this thread progress with the diversity of interest.

Two selections from my collection:

1798 $1 SE 15stars VF35

1795 $1 SP VF20

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My rarest coin, and one of my lowest-graded. It has wonderful surfaces for a Higley:

1739 Higley Copper, PCGS G04, R-7 (8 known).

Freidus 3.2-D, W-8265. J CUT MY WAY THROUGH, Broad Axe Reverse. Good-4 (PCGS). From the John "Jack" Royse Collection. Purchased from French's in 1969; earlier from Numismatic Gallery's 1947 ANA sale of the Robert Prann Collection, August 1947, lot 579.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any Higley is a trophy coin for sure. Beautiful example, Rays!
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    AnkurJ: Fantastic Coin ...I like Classic Head $5's:

Craig

• Options

<< <i>AnkurJ: Fantastic Coin ...I like Classic Head $5's:

image >>

Wow those are two killer coins. That 34 is tough esp in au
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will someone please post a Pan Pac octagonal or a 1907 HR? >>

<< <i>Boiler wins again! >>

Well how about a tie?

And then I'll raise. image

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    WOW! image Keep them coming!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file