Home U.S. Coin Forum

Petition for US Mint to improve its coin products

Here's a revised version of our petitions:

We have a petition to get the US Mint to reissue classic coin designs as a part of its product lineup. Please sign today:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/us-mint-should-reissue-classic-coin-designs-as-a-part-of-its-product-lineup.html

We also have a petition to demand that the US Mint issue a 1/20th oz American Gold Eagle similar to what's being done in other countries. Please sign today:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/us-mint-needs-to-make-a-120th-oz-gold-american-eagle.html

We also have a petition which calls the US Mint to directly submit coins to NGC and PCGS: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/us-mint-should-submit-some-of-its-numismatic-products-directly-to-ngc-and-pcgs.html

These are the same petitions posted yesterday. We just split the petitions up because some agreed with only portions of the petition posted. Sorry for the double topics.

Your support is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a revised version of our petitions:

We have a petition to get the US Mint to reissue classic coin designs as a part of its product lineup. Please sign today:
    http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/us-mint-should-reissue-classic-coin-designs-as-a-part-of-its-product-lineup.html

We also have a petition to demand that the US Mint issue a 1/20th oz American Gold Eagle similar to what's being done in other countries. Please sign today:
    http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/us-mint-needs-to-make-a-120th-oz-gold-american-eagle.html

We also have a petition which calls the US Mint to directly submit coins to NGC and PCGS: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/us-mint-should-submit-some-of-its-numismatic-products-directly-to-ngc-and-pcgs.html

These are the same petitions posted yesterday. We just split the petitions up because some agreed with only portions of the petition posted. Sorry for the double topics.

Your support is greatly appreciated! >>

Here's your support.

Petition 1
    Petition 2
    Petition 3
    Petition 4

How many are you going to do anyway?? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Its really interesting how people try to be jerks rather than appreciate new ideas coming into the hobby. If this hobby is about going along to get along and towing the line, then why should we be involved in this hobby.

We split the petition up because some people agreed with certain parts and not other parts.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After dealing with the web site trying to get HOF coins, I have no confidence in the ability of the Mint to submit coins to PCGS on my behalf and I certainly would not demand they do something other than make coins that meet the needs of commerce. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After dealing with the web site trying to get HOF coins, I have no confidence in the ability of the Mint to submit coins to PCGS on my behalf and I certainly would not demand they do something other than make coins that meet the needs of commerce. image >>

Coin forum needs a like button.

• << <i>After dealing with the web site trying to get HOF coins, I have no confidence in the ability of the Mint to submit coins to PCGS on my behalf and I certainly would not demand they do something other than make coins that meet the needs of commerce. image >>

Well we're the ones that buy their products made for collectors and we should have a say in what WE buy from them. Then why don't you start a petition that gets rid of all numismatic products made by the US Mint.

<< <i>Then why don't you start a petition that gets rid of all numismatic products made by the US Mint. >>

It seems to me that one of your petitions already addresses this:

"It is recommended that in order to not strain the budgets of US Mint customers that the US Mint discontinue the numismatic versions of American Gold Eagles and American Gold Buffaloes produced. "
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some but not all numismatic products are mandated by law through Congress' act-ions.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The over/under is 32.5 image

Erik
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    I sure hope the vocal minority doesn't ruin everything for the rest of us claiming "we all want it".

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I oppose all of your ideas.

1. We need more innovation in coinage designs, not a re-hash of the past.
    2. We do not need a dinky 1/20th ounce coin. I actually collect Type 1 gold dollars so I like small coins, but this thing is nothing but a gimmick. I have no desire for our coinage to imitate the Chinese who do nothing about the counterfeiting of our coinage.
    3. I am totally opposed to the U.S. Government sending any coins directly to ANY private grading service. Why should only those two get special treatment? If you want your coins graded, send them yourself.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I oppose all of your ideas.

1. We need more innovation in coinage designs, not a re-hash of the past.
    2. We do not need a dinky 1/20th ounce coin. I actually collect Type 1 gold dollars so I like small coins, but this thing is nothing but a gimmick. I have no desire for our coinage to imitate the Chinese who do nothing about the counterfeiting of our coinage.
    3. I am totally opposed to the U.S. Government sending any coins directly to ANY private grading service. Why should only those two get special treatment? If you want your coins graded, send them yourself. >>

The trifecta.....image

• << <i>Its really interesting how people try to be jerks rather than appreciate new ideas coming into the hobby. If this hobby is about going along to get along and towing the line, then why should we be involved in this hobby.

We split the petition up because some people agreed with certain parts and not other parts. >>

I don't think I'm a jerk because I don't like any of your petitions.

Yes, I like the classic designs too. I dislike the ridiculous State Quarters, the Presidential Spouses and most of the silly commemoratives. But I see little point in scrapping the very popular Eagles to accommodate that.

The 1/20 ounce idea is simply too small, I think. Yes, I know that even the 1/10th is a strain on some budgets - I'm retired and living on reduced in vine myself. But that's life. We can't always get what we want.

I think the submission idea is just silly. If the mint wanted to offer its own tiered grading - perfect coins for more money, fine, but I see no reason to bring the TPG's into it. Actually, I'd rather pay the mint for select pieces than the random stuff they can carelessly send out now.

Those are my opinions. Yours are different. Neither of us is a jerk.
  • I never said you were a jerk. I was referring to some other wise ass comments that were made.

• << <i>Sounds like a good idea but its the government, doesn't congress have to approve any design or material changes in the US coins? >>

Well the Treasury Secretary has broad authority on gold coins

Here’s our sources for the broad authority provision

http://mintnewsblog.com/2014/02/24-karat-gold-2014-kennedy-half-dollars/

http://mintnewsblog.com/2012/03/us-mint-and-treasury-department-authority-for-coins/

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm standing squarely with BillJones on this. Well put on all three counts.

I do admire your passion VCC.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass.
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>After dealing with the web site trying to get HOF coins, I have no confidence in the ability of the Mint to submit coins to PCGS on my behalf and I certainly would not demand they do something other than make coins that meet the needs of commerce. image >>

Well we're the ones that buy their products made for collectors and we should have a say in what WE buy from them. Then why don't you start a petition that gets rid of all numismatic products made by the US Mint. >>

WE already DO have a say in what we buy from the mint. We vote with our wallet. Stop buying it an they will get their act together.

While I agree the US mint needs to change, I also agree with BillJones that this is not the way. I oppose all of these ideas.

We need innovation, less gimmick stuff, and people submit their own coins.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!

<< <i>I'm standing squarely with BillJones on this. Well put on all three counts.

I do admire your passion VCC. >>

actually for #2 his and your choice is your choice but I don't see what 1/20th ounce coins has to do with Chinese Counterfeting.

I'd argue differently.

====

As for stopping numismatic proof AGE and Buffs, I can't sign on to that because those are the ones I DO collect and I don't collect the bullion.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sure hope the vocal minority doesn't ruin everything for the rest of us claiming "we all want it".

-Paul >>

image a few don't talk for all.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm standing squarely with BillJones on this. Well put on all three counts.

actually for #2 his and your choice is your choice but I don't see what 1/20th ounce coins has to do with Chinese Counterfeting.

I'd argue differently.

====

As for stopping numismatic proof AGE and Buffs, I can't sign on to that because those are the ones I DO collect and I don't collect the bullion. >>

Regarding that #2, I have a knee jerk reaction to dismiss anything that is based on "other people/countries do it".

We just don't do 1/20th ouncers. Fine with me. Save up for two of those and get a 1/10th ounce American.

Besides, Bill worked in Chinese and counterfeiting into his reasoning. Brilliant strategy.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'd argue differently.

====

As for stopping numismatic proof AGE and Buffs, I can't sign on to that because those are the ones I DO collect and I don't collect the bullion. >>

Regarding that #2, I have a knee jerk reaction to dismiss anything that is based on "other people/countries do it".

We just don't do 1/20th ouncers. Fine with me. Save up for two of those and get a 1/10th ounce American.

Besides, Bill worked in Chinese and counterfeiting into his reasoning. Brilliant strategy. >>

works for me

Although it is an interesting proposition.

The mint brought back the bullion platinum eagle and it sold 8k right away. I would not have guessed.

The baseball HOF gold and silver sell outs? I would not have guessed.

There maybe a market demand for 1/20th ounce AGE. It's worth exploring. And it is a more sane and much more reasonable plus doable suggestion than the joking colorized coins one.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few ideas that would improve what happens at the mint, but none of them coincide with what is listed in your petitions.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Bill Jones also. I would to see all of the coins redesigned. Liberty would be nice. No dead Presidents.....please!

As far as the other stuff I have no interest in Bullion or modern commens. Probably never will buy anything from the mint.

I like old coins....not coins made yesterday by the Billions!

<< <i>I would to see all of the coins redesigned. Liberty would be nice. No dead Presidents.....please!

As far as the other stuff I have no interest in Bullion or modern commens. Probably never will buy anything from the mint.

I like old coins....not coins made yesterday by the Billions! >>

Another instance where I see points being made but disagree with the effectiveness of the argument.

You make it seem that even if they come out with a redesigned liberty, like old coins, you would not want them because they were made yesterday in the billions. So, I read it as "give me what I want but I won't want them anyway."

<< <i>I'm with Bill Jones also. I would to see all of the coins redesigned. Liberty would be nice. No dead Presidents.....please!

But........but...........but not even coins with the old designs?? But you "like" them! I don't understand.

Actually ....................... I do understand! It is possible to "like" something which you would not "like" if it were made today since we "like" them because they are old.

The name is LEE!
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Luck with your petition,,,,,, don't hold your breath waiting on it though,,,,,

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Petition for US Mint to improve its coin products >>

They've been at it for quite a long time now. I personally think they are pretty good at creating coins from chuncks of metal. However there is always room for competition so feel free to run your mint the way you see fit.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm with Bill Jones also. I would to see all of the coins redesigned. Liberty would be nice. No dead Presidents.....please!

But........but...........but not even coins with the old designs?? But you "like" them! I don't understand.

Actually ....................... I do understand! It is poiss8ible to "like" something which you would not "like" if it were made today since we "like" them because they are old. >>

I'd just leave off the not wanting them because they were made yesterday and in the billions and add on that the country's coins should have Liberty not dead presidents... like nixon (it was that way before for a reason)

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good Luck with your petition,,,,,, don't hold your breath waiting on it though,,,,,

GrandAm image >>

Though, I have a question, and it regards D. Carr. Could he LEGALLY make, say, a 2014 half, but use the obverse and reverse designs from, say, Bust halves? No need to stamp it 'copy', as it wouldn't be. The mint DID make a KENNEDY half in 2014, but not a Bust half, so it's not copying an already struck coin, like the '64-D Peace dollars. Or, would I just be stirring the pot, with the already thin ice he walks on, with some members here, who are dead set against his work????
    I'll come up with something.

<< <i>

<< <i>Petition for US Mint to improve its coin products >>

They've been at it for quite a long time now. I personally think they are pretty good at creating coins from chuncks of metal. However there is always room for competition so feel free to run your mint the way you see fit. >>

oh no....

another DC thread...

I'm such a doofus

I believe that the 1/20th ounce coin would be considered by the Mint to be the job of Congress to approve since the 1oz down to the 1/10th ounce are in the Federal Laws that Congress en-act-ed.

I have mentioned ideas to the mint that Congress would have to create, but always noting that they could mention the idea for Congress' consideration. But the proper people to contact about these type of ideas is Congress.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file