Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Were the Newman colonials submitted for CAC review??

After a quick review of the catalogue I didn't see any with CAC stickers.
Ed

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CAC does colonials? image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CAC does colonials? image >>

They do : )

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    I was told they were not being sent to CAC, which seems more likely than 100% of them failing to sticker.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Hi All,

You never can tell from pictures. You really do need to see these in the coin. But in an earlier thread, when they first put up the NGC site, I commented that to my humble eye, just about every 'prime time" coin seemed over graded. Moreover, in the description in the catalog, they were given the status of finest known, condition census, finest certified etc. etc. as if those NGC grades were the final gospel truth.

JMO,

nova caesarea
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    The NGC grading of the Newman patterns was quite conservative as about 65% of them CACed.
    Ed
  • Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭
    So if they CAC that means the grading is conservative? I do not understand the correlation?

• Options

<< <i>Hi All,

You never can tell from pictures. You really do need to see these in the coin. But in an earlier thread, when they first put up the NGC site, I commented that to my humble eye, just about every 'prime time" coin seemed over graded. Moreover, in the description in the catalog, they were given the status of finest known, condition census, finest certified etc. etc. as if those NGC grades were the final gospel truth.

JMO,

nova caesarea >>

I am not going to suggest that all of the grades here are conservative or accurate or medium or anything else (especially since I have not viewed them yet), but I doubt there would ever be any consensus opinion about any grades on any coins regardless of who applied them. Hey, it's subjective, ownership adds a point, and all that.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My concern is not so much will they CAC, but will they cross to PCGS at any grade (i.e.- not "Genuine"). Based upon the Heritage lot photographs, at least some of these pieces have iffy surfaces. However, a variable amount of leeway is afforded certain issues, especially if they almost all come that way. This is why in-person inspection is usually helpful.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Colonials definitely aren't in my plan....I lack the knowledge, (and the resources), to play in this game.

But, man, is that auction fun to browse through! It's like Breen's Encyclopedia just exploded onto the Heritage website. Ya just don't see this stuff at your local show!

But, I'm wondering:

Does the release of this much "fresh" material tend to drown the market, and fill most needs and desires out there? Or does this type of auction fuel a resurgence in interest in colonials?

I could see it going either way, so maybe some similar auction in the past would give a clue to the market dynamics expected....
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does the release of this much "fresh" material tend to drown the market, and fill most needs and desires out there? >>

No. There is so much money out there waiting for good stuff like this.

<< <i>Or does this type of auction fuel a resurgence in interest in colonials? >>

Yes.
  • Options

<< <i>My concern is not so much will they CAC, but will they cross to PCGS at any grade (i.e.- not "Genuine"). >>

There is only one way to find out!
  • Options
    Hi All,

The general economies are a bit different, but the Ford Colonial Sales are instructive. Far more material, and again in my humble opinion and eye, the material was far more vast and generally higher grade and quality with one or two notable exceptions. They also conducted the Ford sales over a far longer period.

But even with so much more material, at the time Ford prices were generally strong across the board with new records set for almost every other coin it seemed. So the market certainly absorbed all the material. Also, I do think it created a bit of a renaissance in Colonial collecting, it drew lots of non colonial players to the auctions and created several new serious colonial collectors.

I suppose the one thing that may impact pricing is that they are selling it all in one sale. I certainly would have preferred two or more. And I suspect prices would be even stronger if this were broken out between a few sales.

Having said that, I would not expect any bargains.....but one can always hope.

Best

novacaesarea
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it's a completely proper comparison between two titanic collections but did anyone else see the irony in comparing a Newman sale to a Ford sale?

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    It is ironic. But you had to have been around for a while to get it if I correctly understand what you are referring to.

Best,

novacaesarea
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My concern is not so much will they CAC, but will they cross to PCGS at any grade (i.e.- not "Genuine").

I looked at the sale today. I felt that most of the NGC-graded coins would get a grade at PCGS. I also feel that if you don't look at the coins in person, you're far more likely to buy one of the coins that will not fare so well at PCGS.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>I looked at the sale today. I felt that most of the NGC-graded coins would get a grade at PCGS. >>

High praise indeed!
  • Options
    lowcountrycoinutlowcountrycoinut Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had the opportunity to look at the coins, but I have been following the bidding and, believe me, it has been very strong!
    No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I looked at the sale today. I felt that most of the NGC-graded coins would get a grade at PCGS. >>

High praise indeed! >>

Sarcasm? "Get a grade" doesn't literally mean crossing to the same grade! image
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is ironic. But you had to have been around for a while to get it if I correctly understand what you are referring to.

Best,

novacaesarea >>

Franklin Hoard. Moulton's book is exceptional.

To stay on topic, I find it interesting that the coins didn't go to CAC for this round. Colonial collectors are a different breed of course so maybe CAC wouldn't be as important to some colonial bidders. But there's also the argument that a collection that everyone knows hasn't been to Far Hills may buoy the prices overall even more than a collection where it's clear which coins didn't sticker.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file