Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

a cheap little addition to my eclectic ancient greek holdings

This is a 16mm bronze unit from Syracuse, Sicily circa 317-289BC under the reign of Agathokles the Tyrant

Obverse: Head of Persephone facing left, crowned with ears of grain, 'of the Syracusians' in Greek to left

Reverse: Bull charging left, NI below (a magistrates initials I imagine)

Agathokles was of humble oirigns, but rose up in the army and married the widow of his wealthy patron. In 317BC he orchestrated a coup and became tyrant. He built up the city's military power, and after a war with Carthage 311-306BC he ended up as King of Sicily. Despite his tactics he was popular, and on his death bed in 289BC he restored the city to democracy.

I think it's a fun little coin worth the $32 it cost image
=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Judging from the image and the cost, it looks like it must have spent a lot of centuries underground, until a luckier than Rob image metal detector liberated it and put it on the market! $32, yes!image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I think it is a neat coin, you can tell that it is of good style. You hold a object in your hand that was made and used by people 2300 years ago. Their names have faded into the mist of time, their thoughts, hopes and fears are forever lost to us, but this coin gives a fleeting look into their world for only $32.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Syracuse had some interesting designs back in the day, very nice.

Does eclectic mean the same thing as what my wife calls random? Like when she asks why I am buying random coins?
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are killer designs! Can this be cleaned further?
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it when folks maximize numismatic purchasing power in the sub $50 zone.
    Cool newp.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had a choice between looking at $32 or that coin, I'd certainly pick the coin!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Great buy. I've been steering away from ancients but the comments here really have me thinking about them.

thanks!
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>If I had a choice between looking at $32 or that coin, I'd certainly pick the coin! >>

I don't think it can be cleaned further, it's porous with deposits in the holes, just a fun little coin for the money

I always enjoy the history lesson that accompanies things like this
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=