Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Iran (Persia), silver kran of Naser al-Din Shah Qajar, AH 1296 (1879 AD)

This was an inexpensive purchase. Not only do I love the toning on it, but it falls into a very historic period for the Baha'i Faith*, which is the religion I was raised in.

Of course the ruler who struck this coin, Naser al-Din Shah* (most Baha'i references spell it Nasir al-Din Shah) was a great persecutor of the Baha'is, who are imprisoned and often even killed in Iran to this day.*

So it's a coin struck by a historical villain, but as a collector of Roman coins, I've had plenty of those. And from a purely intellectual standpoint, villains can be interesting. Here we have a beautiful coin from a bad guy, if you will.

Here's the dealer's attribution on this piece:

<< <i>Iran. AR 1 Kran AH1296. XF+, Toned

Obv: Crown above lion and sun within wreath
Rev: Legend and value within crowned beaded circle and wreath
Denomination: Kran
Composition: AR
Weight: 4.99 gm
Date: AH1296
Ref: KM# 845.3
Grade: XF+, Toned >>

I'm not sure I quite agree with the "XF+" grade and there appears to be some irregularity to the lower rim, but the toning compensates for that, and the price was right.

I may pass this on to one of my parents as a gift. They're not coin collectors, but anything to do with Baha'i history is always a hit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, there's the old villain himself!

Now post the other side, please...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

DPOTD
  • Options
    that is one cool looking coin lordM

that medal above isn't too shabby either

is that supposed to be Tyche on the reverse?
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    The figure on the reverse of the medal is supposed to represent the City of London, I believe.

DPOTD
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The figure on the reverse of the medal is supposed to represent the City of London, I believe. >>

Wonderful reverse type and a medal I'd not seen before.

edited to add: a quick google shows that the medal commemorates the visit of the Shah to London during his European tour in 1873. what a great piece and interesting contrast to the kran that started the thread. What fun!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!