Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

'28 Peace, GTG (grade posted)

FadeToBlackFadeToBlack Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sending this one in... think the rim hit at 12 on the obverse prevents a grade? I don't think so. I got this one for real cheap.

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    XF45 (AU50 netted for rim ding @ 12 o'clock on obverse)

Nice coin image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say details grade AU-50,, I had a 1934-S with a similar rim hit and PCGS body bagged it 2x,, this was done before details grading was started.

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won't straight grade unfortunately. Coin has a really nice look though!
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU50.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF40, if it grades at all...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
    AU 50 Details
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Looking at the wear and not all the dings, I'd guess 53. If the grader doesn't like the rim ding, Net AU50, details.
    Paul
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to report the results FTB.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    Nice strike. MS 63
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still learning these.

strike strength can confuse wear.

AU5x.K or .J ? or a MS60-61

tough to nail down severity of hits as related to coin because of inexperience grading Peace from pictures this size.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So anywhere between XF and MS and possibly details lol. Thanks for the opinions. image >>

What is your opinion, fadetoblack?

After seeing your pics on larger monitor, that ding does look pretty nasty, but I still think the coin has a fair shot at grading...

And if it does grade, hopefully one of the three prongs hides the ding image ... I kid!
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, first of all, any 1928 Peace dollar is a nice coin.

There are only 24 coins in the series but only 1 out of every 530 dollars minted was a 28-P.

This one looks to have a little remaining luster in protected areas such as in the reverse lettering. I see it as an XF45 with a strong chance of not grading due to the rim issue. For me the fields are just a little too dull to get the AU designation. I don't think I'd be happy buying this sight-unseen in an AU50 holder.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF40 from your pictures. The rim ding may net grade it less. Not enoough luster for XF45, but if mine I would dip it in acetone before submitting just to see if there is more lustre under the dirty looking surface.

OINK
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put me in the 40 camp. hope she grades!
  • Options
    Oh

That sheds some new light on it

Grades out at AU50.J

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    AU details.
    Why send it in?
  • Options
    Now that I can see the coin much better, thank you. The coin will not grade it had PVC damage and it was removed leaving that white toning spot and the ding it's too much . It will not grade. AU 50 details should be body bagged.
    I stand corrected.......er well, at least I correct myself. $34 you're right you can't lose.
  • Options
    when you get it back there will be............
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genuine, rim damage.

The 1928 Peace Dollar is not rare or even scarce. A dealer I knew used to put away choice examples that he bought at his shop circa 1974-2000. He had more than 200 of them put away!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>when you get it back there will be............ >>

image >>

Spots

It wouldn't hurt to soak it in acetone.

Where are the PVC locations, 410a?

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU50. That ding would probably be ok for a problem free holder.
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, first of all, any 1928 Peace dollar is a nice coin.

There are only 24 coins in the series but only 1 out of every 530 dollars minted was a 28-P. >>

Yes Bryce, it's a scarce and desirable date in a beautiful series. I've always liked 28 Peace dollars.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the good news.

Theimage is on you........

OINK
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Problem free 55?

E
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Graded AU55. Pleasant surprise. >>

That coin straight-graded AU55???? I need to see pics in the straight-graded holder!!! If that did straight-grade, not that I don't believe you, but that's a minor/med score, especially for $34!! Congrats! (Still wanna see that slab....I was certain the hit up top would be too much).

And, while it may NOT be rare or scarce, the '28 is one of the many 'key' dates (odd, the Peace $ set has more than a couple 'key' and 'semi-key' dates/MM, deprnding on MM/grade...the '21, '24-S, '25-S (high grade), '27-D, '27-S, '28-P, '28-S, '34-S, '35-S...man, now that I look at it like this, damn near the whole series, except the '22 and '23 are 'key' or 'semi key' coins...lol) in the Peace series. But for the OP's '28-P Peace to get straight-graded AU55, our hosts just put a nifty little price guide of $470 on a $34 coin, a coin I believe the consensus was more than leaning towards 'not grading' or 'body bagging' for one or more reasons. I'd say a little less that 14 times what he paid (according to 'guide'), less the grading (was this a freebie???....can't recall if mentioned), shipping...though putting a 'realistic' price on it, it still turned into a coin worth, after everything's said and done, 10 as much as he paid, that's after everything, EXCEPT future ebay/PP fees, should it get sold down the line)...not a bad roll of the dice, if you ask me, not bad at all, especially, again, considering most said 'no grade'....though, there are many HERE who wouldn't pay $350, there's still ALOT who would bid it on ebay.

'Key' or 'semi-key' dates don't necessarily have to be scarce OR rare, just means that they are....'key' or 'semi-key' dates, and as such, being popular and sought after (and yeah, there are enough to go around, strictly in numbers, but if you are 'strike conscious' or want a 'certain look', that cuts it down considerably), they only command 'key'/'semi-key' prices...not 'rare' or 'scarce' prices. I'd be very happy were I the OP. Congrats!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!
    I was fully expecting 40 to 45!
    You really scored on that sucker!!! Looks like lots of high point rub on your later photos... No way would I go 50.
    Must look better in hand...
    Great flip!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    The white spotting on the cheek reminded me of PVC damage that had been removed of course it was my opinion that is what the coin had suffered. Now, it would seem I stand corrected. Thank you.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! There must be some luster under the toning that isn't showing in the photos.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    au details

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file